• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vertical licensing Poll

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
A French edition of Dear Brother also came out recently, so I'm not sure if Ikeda being "weird" is the major issue.
zandam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:05 am Reply with quote
Polish edition of "Dear Brother" and 3rd reprint of "Until the Borders of Sky - Poland's Secret Story" will be released in March 2014.

Polish publisher also stated, that they received very good license conditions, so they want to publish also her other mangas.... so no, she isn't "weird". Wink
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Random question, Ed, but why wasn't Sickness Unto Death made an omnibus?

Good question... But I have a very generic answer. It was an editorial decision. Honestly, I would have possibly published it as an omnibus, but the Editor-in-Chief thought that the duality shown in the manga between each volume was pretty critical to the story. So we kept it in two vols.

Quote:
Anyway, I still really want Rose of Versailles, now that the anime has come out over here against all odds, maybe the manga would prove more popular? Or is Riyoko Ikeda still being weird about that?

We haven't talked to her people in a couple of years. So I don't know if anything has changed.

Quote:
Shame it seems the Osamu Tezuka days are over Crying or Very sad

They're not over. Tezuka will just be handled by DMP now, as DMP has bought the whole catalog (along with our translations).

Quote:
Any chance for Franken Fran?

Not from us at this point in time. As we have stated here and elsewhere, Akita Shoten refuses to work with us right now. So Franken Fran is out of our reach, unless the author comes to us directly.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
Lengarion wrote:
No more Tezuka titles from Vertical is really bad news in my mind.

Not our choice, really. Tezuka Pro decided to go with another publisher.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
The licensing window is... OPEN AGAIN!!!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/X33BNT5

We'll be taking submissions through March 14. Happy hunting!
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Damn, how does one stay to a mere 3?

I think I looked at mangaka I really liked and went from there (if they passed the "not from these publishers" test). I don't honestly read a whole lot of scanlations these days. But I'd so love to see Historie, which I think is fine because that's Kodansha. I'd want to see Cesare too. But I know those are both ongoing too. I don't remember what else I put down. I think I put Music of Marie, I'd like to see more Usamaru Furuya if he's been selling good for you.

It's a shame all the Akimi Yoshida things seem to be off limits and I couldn't ask for Umiachi Diary or Yasha.

Also, this might be a strange idea, but you know how Fumi Yoshinaga made her own doujin for her own series, Antique Bakery? Would it be possible to get any of that stuff? It'd definitely be an adult title, but damn if I wouldn't buy it, it has her name on it. I'm not familiar with any other mangaka making doujinshi for their own work, so I'd have no idea how licensing would go or who, if anyone, holds it.

Also, buying What Did You Eat Yesterday? from what place would benefit your numbers and such the most? If I'm buying the book, I want you to see the maximum amount of support I can from buying it (other than telling everyone else to buy it)
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I love Vertical, but I honestly didn't know what to put down in the section for what I would like to see licensed. I'm so out of the loop when it comes to new/unlicensed manga. I would like to see a rescue of Narutaru or Beck Mongolian Chop Squad, but it looks like they aren't doing license rescues.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Damn, how does one stay to a mere 3?

Pretty easy. Just pick three and don't worry about the rest.

Quote:
Also, this might be a strange idea, but you know how Fumi Yoshinaga made her own doujin for her own series, Antique Bakery? Would it be possible to get any of that stuff? It'd definitely be an adult title, but damn if I wouldn't buy it, it has her name on it. I'm not familiar with any other mangaka making doujinshi for their own work, so I'd have no idea how licensing would go or who, if anyone, holds it.

We don't do eros or BL so most of them would be out. I own most of those (I have an extensive Fumi collection including her legendary Slam Dunk doujins) and yeah they go places where Antique was not able to go as a josei title.

Quote:
Also, buying What Did You Eat Yesterday? from what place would benefit your numbers and such the most? If I'm buying the book, I want you to see the maximum amount of support I can from buying it (other than telling everyone else to buy it)

The answer is always brick and mortar chains - Barnes & Nobles, Books-a-Million, Hastings, Chapters (Canada), Waterstones (UK)...

Oh and if you have to order online...Always preorder! BN.com and BAM.com always tend to match the Amazon price and also have free shipping after $25 (they don't have prime though...)
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Would I be better off buying What Did You Eat at Waterstones or Forbidden Planet then, Ed? Forbidden Planet is better for me locally because all manga is on a permanent 3 for 2 deal, but if it's better for you to get it from Waterstones I will.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Well I went over to my local Barnes & Nobles today and pre-ordered a copy! Won't be in for a while, but whatevs. And it's not terribly out of my way because it's right next to the Trader Joe's I frequent. Actually, I think the last time I paid full price for a manga was at B&N for Twin Spica 1. But for Fumi Yoshinaga and Vertical? Full price sounds awesome! Still, this means that my local B&N will get in at least one copy for sure, perhaps more, yes?

My next question then is, I could've pre-ordered 2 and 3 as well. How far in advance are pre-orders useful vs useless (well, less useful). I can always pre-order them later so I just went with v1 for now.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I put in my three picks a couple of days ago.

The surveys are usually pretty hard for me, but not for the same reasons as classicalzawa: my preference for reading my manga physically means that I seldom read scans. And by seldom, I mean practically never.

My first suggestion was a no-brainer for me: I'm Sakamoto, you know. or Sakamoto desu ga? by Nami Sano. I noticed this series selling incredibly well in Japan as of late, so I couldn't resist and decided to check if anybody translated it online. I found myself laughing almost non-stop for the next 30 minutes. Not sure if it'd do too well over here: while it's more of an absurdest comedy, it's a comedy nonetheless and those haven't done too well over here. But God, would I kill for a license of this title!

The other two suggestions were merely things that I'm interested in checking out but have yet to allocate the time for: RiN by Harold Sakuishi (Beck) and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun by Izumi Tsubaki (The Magic Touch, Oresama Teacher). I used ANN's weekly Japanese manga sales news posts to look up some titles, then read synopses of said titles. Out of the 15 or so titles I looked up, those two interested me the most.

I really, really wanted to suggest Prison School (Kangoku Gakuen) by Akira Hiramoto (Me and the Devil Blues) but I feared that my entry would be null and void given that it is at 12 volumes and continuing. I want to have an English version of that series!
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Would I be better off buying What Did You Eat at Waterstones or Forbidden Planet then, Ed? Forbidden Planet is better for me locally because all manga is on a permanent 3 for 2 deal, but if it's better for you to get it from Waterstones I will.

As noted in my previous response... if you are in the UK, Waterstones gives us the biggest cut. And on top of that they might order more for their many chain stores.

The cut is one thing, but ordering more from chain stores means they stock more books. And honestly, in most cases the more a book is stocked the more shelf-space it has and the more exposure for a longer time. In store exposure often leads to more sales and keeping more volumes of that series on shelves for longer.

While comic shops are helpful, because of Diamond and their slow and at times non-existent re-ordering policy once books go out of stock at comic shops it is difficult for them to re-stock books. Which is why some comic shops do not even bother with manga.

Chain stores and online shops deal with demand on a more fluid level. However because online shops do not have stores to fill up they order smaller quantities based on LIVE real time orders and long-term metrics.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Well I went over to my local Barnes & Nobles today and pre-ordered a copy! Won't be in for a while, but whatevs. And it's not terribly out of my way because it's right next to the Trader Joe's I frequent. Actually, I think the last time I paid full price for a manga was at B&N for Twin Spica 1. But for Fumi Yoshinaga and Vertical? Full price sounds awesome! Still, this means that my local B&N will get in at least one copy for sure, perhaps more, yes?

My next question then is, I could've pre-ordered 2 and 3 as well. How far in advance are pre-orders useful vs useless (well, less useful). I can always pre-order them later so I just went with v1 for now.

A preorder is useful until two weeks before the onsale date. You can preorder as early as you'd like (which is ideal) and then the vendor has real numbers to base future orders on. The higher the preorders the more they will order for their stores.

Preorders do not work within 2-4 weeks because books are shipped to vendors 3-5 weeks before the onsale date. And at that point stores are committed to stocking what they have and testing the market. So stores often will not order books again until after the street date; usually not for 2 to 4 months after the onsale date. However if a title is very popular or exceeds a store's expectations, they will order restocks 1 to 2 weeks after the onsale date. Collecting data takes time, but with more digital data thru bar-code scanning (POS) it is becoming easier to figure out what moves, where and when.

By the way...This is on a slightly different topic but stores can return overstock after 3-4 months depending on their retail contract with our distributor. So if a title does not do well, stores will simply return the books for a refund from us. (You might notice the casual reorder period and the return period is the same. That was the traditional model when bookstores were healthier and more plentiful across the US. Now with more eCommerce initial orders are becoming smaller across the board. As stores are hesitant to take risk on new and unproven brands.)
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Alright, so I'll order 2 and 3 when I go to pick up 1! And I did get in more than 2 weeks on the pre-order, sounds like it might've been enough? Either way, they're getting in at least one copy for me.
ElectroJane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I have been attempting to buy Vertical titles through B&M chains, but it's not always so easy. Sometimes titles don't show up until weeks after the release date, if at all, at my local BAM and BN. (Utsubora and Helter Skelter never appeared; Pink finally showed up, but well after the release date, and well after I gave up and ordered it online. Things like Wolfsmund and Tropic of the Sea showed up fine though.) But if preordering them is the next best thing, I will give that a shot. With a BAM membership, you get free shipping online without having to spend that $25 minimum, so I may as well take advantage of that.
Still thinking over which titles to request. I don't often dig around in unlicensed titles, so I don't have any ideas off the top of my head...
Anyway, thank you for all the work you do, Vertical!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 24