• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vertical licensing Poll

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Aww, shame to hear Wolfsmund isn't selling well (I buy it!), never knew Twin Knight was such a flop (to be fair, I mostly bought it because it had Tezuka's name on it, and I'll buy any manga with his name on it, even Lost World).

Is Wolfsmund complete in Japan at 6 volumes, or is that just how far you guys are going? Or is it still ongoing there?

So we just received copies of Wolfsmund two weeks ago... And contrary to Japanese blog news, 6 is not the last volume.

Honestly everyone in the office found that shocking. spoiler[The main story ends and there is a clear resolution, but Kuji immediately continues on a side-story that is set outside of the Wolfsmund moving towards the greater Swiss Revolution as a whole with new characters (so far. I wonder if the Tells will show up again later).]

So sometime in 2016, we should release volume 7. Anime cry
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Quote:
Do you think historical fiction as a genre is a tough sell, or just these particular titles? I got my hopes up because of Vinland Saga and Wolfsmund (haven't checked Wolfsmund out yet, but I'm planning to).

Yup. Both of those titles are flops. Wolfsmund is our worst-selling title since Twin Spica (and Twin Knights).

Bride Story does okay... But that price point makes a difference.

Seriously? I'm not familiar with Wolfsmund, but I would have thought that Vinland Saga would be a big hit. I'm kind of shocked. Is it that there hasn't been enough word of mouth on it yet?

I haven't picked it up myself because I limit the number of titles I buy each year but with Bokurano and Flowers of Evil ending I've got space to pick up some new titles. I'll definitely start picking up Vinland Saga in January and I'll look at Wolfsmund (I already buy Bride Story).

Any interest in Boku wa Mari no Naka by Oshimi Shuzo?

Ah, I wish someone would license Birdy the Mighty, but I doubt that will ever happen.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

You can currently read that through Crunchyroll's manga service.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

You can currently read that through Crunchyroll's manga service.

I already am. I was just curious if Vertical had any interest in publishing it since they put out The Flowers of Evil. Can digital rights can be separate from publishing rights? Maybe? I'm just guessing based off the example of Seven Seas publishing Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Crunchyroll also carrying it on their service.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I already am. I was just curious if Vertical had any interest in publishing it since they put out The Flowers of Evil. Can digital rights can be separate from publishing rights? Maybe? I'm just guessing based off the example of Seven Seas publishing Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Crunchyroll also carrying it on their service.

Or Vertical publishing Ajin and Crunchyroll running it on their site. Or did the Japanese publisher go behind Vertical's back on that?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
Digital and print rights are two different beasties.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Or Vertical publishing Ajin and Crunchyroll running it on their site. Or did the Japanese publisher go behind Vertical's back on that?

Yup. Kodansha did that on their own.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
We are currently running a Gundam manga poll.

If you are interested in more Gundam manga and haven't yet participated here is the web address:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5KM537P

Sieg Zeon!
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
The Spring 2015 licensing survey is up now:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TMSLP2X

Summary of rules:

Quote:
No rescues
No titles that debuted before 2005
No titles currently over 10 volumes in length
No Shueisha, Shogakukan, SquareEnix or Gentosha
No LNs
No BL or hentai (basically no 18+ titles)

I voted for:

Qualia of the Purple: I've heard this recommended as a "mind blowing" SF series. I voted for the same series last survey, and would still love to read it.

Scientia: More science fiction. It's rare to see mature and hard SF in manga. Plus, this is just a one-volume title, so it'd be easy for Vertical to release.

Manga no Tsukurikata: I really love yuri, and I'd like to see more with adult characters like this. It's also supposed to have a great story, and realistically developed romance. Plus I'm liking other manga in the magazine this is published in (Comic Ryu).

It's always hard to select a top 3, though! There were lots of runner-ups, including:

Number Girl: Comedy 4-koma by team that created Watamote, about a girl with many clones of herself. I like the pedigree and simultaneously wacky/dark concept.

Kotonoba Drive: Can't vote for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, so might as well vote for the new series (just startedi n 2014) by the same author.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Does this mean we can finally suggest Akita Shoten titles?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
^YES! Although my personal favorite Akita Shoten title is still out because it's a license rescue (Apothecarius Argentum). Know any other good ones?

I'm so excited about the new poll, and a bit apprehensive because last time I screwed up and suggested two titles that were null and void.

This time I'm thinking of suggesting Nozaki-kun again, because I'd really love to see that in English.

I saw a manga spotlight on NHK World's ImagiNation of Kasane, a dark josei published in Kodansha's Evening by Daruma Matsuura about a young woman who inherits a tube of lipstick that allows her to steal the appearance of whomever she kisses. Dark josei dealing with women's vanity? Sounds right up Vertical's alley. It was on a few manga best of lists at the end of last year, and so far it's only 4 volumes long.

I want to look into some other unpublished best of titles before I fill out the survey. Maybe see what's still popular or notable from a couple years ago.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:43 am Reply with quote
What a shame Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun is Square Enix. I don't read scans as much as I used to so I actually find suggesting things really difficult. Most of the stuff I want to see licensed is either too old or technically a license rescue...
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
Damn it! I could swear Square Enix was okay during the last poll!
Well, Nozaki-kun's out.
I don't really reas scans I try to pay attention to what could be licensed based on manga awards, best of lists, anime adaptations, and blog reviews from people who can read enough Japanese to keep up with current manga.
Back to the drawing board. There were some interesting Psycho Pass manga adaptations that I want to look into...
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Damn you SquareEnix! I'm still waiting for the day I can suggest Cradle of Monsters.

Anyways I put forward:

Ballroom E Youkoso
Kami-sama ga Uso o Tsuku
Theme World
Koishite Daddy
Anagle Mole

.... Damn it, I suggested Koishite Daddy (I know its BL but it is a really cute one shot about a single dad falling in love with a man whilst trying to be a good father) then thought to myself I will reread it because it has been a while but I completely forgot about the smut. Hopefully I wont have wasted too much of someone's time with that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
I would love for someone to get Yona of the Dawn, but I think Hana to Yume means it's put squarely under Viz's jurisdiction.

Oh well, I wish for older things, like more Swan or Rose of Versailles or really, just Year 24 group anything is fine with me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 24