• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-01-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nasty_llama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
American networks keep churning out too much of the same thing - action, science fiction, adventure. Why don't they look back at the history of television in America and see something that has always worked - the comedy/slice of life genre. From the black & white days of Ozzie & Harriet, The Donna Reed Show and Leave It To Beaver, to the 70's with All In The Family, Sanford & Son and Good Times to more recent shows like Friends and Seinfeld. Then we also have animated examples like the long-running Simpsons and King Of The Hill. Give American viewers some different anime without straying from a genre that has been loved for more than fifty years.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Umm, but did it ever cross your mind that Voices of a Distant Star might just be the worst date movie of all time!

"I like you, in fact I like you so much that you will soon spoiler[end up all alone in space running up a high phone bill."]
I jest of course. I love you really, Mr Shinkai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
pparker wrote:
Umm, but did it ever cross your mind that Voices of a Distant Star might just be the worst date movie of all time!

"I like you, in fact I like you so much that you will soon spoiler[end up all alone in space running up a high phone bill."]
I jest of course. I love you really, Mr Shinkai.

Oh, the anime is great. I wish every artist would create an OVA by themselves on their Macintosh; then we would see more gems like this. It's amazing what he did. Reminded me conceptually of classic sci-fi.

Just, I remembered once having a date pretty much guaranteed to end up in cooking breakfast turn into coffee and a ride home because I wanted to see A Star Is Born. You know, Barbra Streisand, how can you miss? We were both so down at the end that, well, coffee... and, yes, no more dates Smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
Not to burst ANN's bubble, but what ever happened to the January 30th edition of Answerman? Obviously it was not seen on the front page, but nobody said high or low about it, both on the ANN staff side and then the user side, so just wondering what's going on.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was wondering about that one myself. I fear Brian has been murdered by angry ex-girlfriends who resent being called whores (or I suppose theoretically are just really attached to their old mix CDs.

I referenced the column there just in case you didn't notice... (Seriously, I'm not sure how clear that would be since the column is about a week and a half old at this point.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5