• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Kids on the Slippery Slope

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
ANSWERMAN IS OVERHYPED!!!!!!!

*runs away*
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I actually like the term "overrated" as it implies that something has more praise than it probably deserves, but that doesn't make it inherently bad.

For instance, I think Trigun is a overrated. It's still a good show, and I'm glad I watched it, but it doesn't have the big dumb fun of Outlaw Star and it isn't as well directed as Cowboy Bebop. Yet it's consistently compared to the two of them.

As for hype, there isn't a lot of it in anime. Mostly because you hardly ever see advertisements for it. Not in the same way Hollywood does it anyway.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

As for hype, there isn't a lot of it in anime. Mostly because you hardly ever see advertisements for it. Not in the same way Hollywood does it anyway.

Well, thats more for the American industry. Theres tons of hype in the culture in Japan for certain stuff and for movies... like the K-On movie recently had advertisements plastered over every anime related magainze and commercials during every anime TV block.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Well, thats more for the American industry. Theres tons of hype in the culture in Japan for certain stuff and for movies... like the K-On movie recently had advertisements plastered over every anime related magainze and commercials during every anime TV block.

As an american, I never see any of it though Razz Hype may effect the japanese, but here in America, we don't really see ads for anime.
N.R.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I always thought to myself: "my, what weird episode titles Kids on the Slope is using!"
Now I feel sad for not having any knowledge in classic and Jazz music, because I am obviously missing something important to the plot by not knowing about them.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
And even if they have to spend a little extra money to license the show's many, many different jazz songs, it's *probably* worth it in the long run - this is a show that can legitimately state "FROM THE CREATORS OF COWBOY BEBOP."

Tying yourself to one of anime's few mainstream hits has to be worth a few song licensing fees, don't you think?

No, not really. When people think of Cowboy Bebop, they're thinking of the characters, setting and atmosphere, and even the music isn't just old jazz played by duo of teenagers. They thick action, explosions, cool guys smoking. Works for Samurai Champloo, but just carrying the music label over won't be enough.

Exactly. I didn't watch Cowboy Bebop just for the action. I watched it for those reasons. And a show about Jazz players in school can have just as good characters, setting, and atmosphere, even if it isn't the same genre.
I would never have checked out Sakamichi from the first episode's broadcasting without the Cowboy Bebop label. But that might just be me.

Nah, I don't think that's just you. I think I was coming from more or less the same perspective, though perhaps with not as much substance. Interestingly, I was probably basing my own interest in Sakamichi no Apollon more on Yoko Kanno than anything or anyone else. I actually somehow hadn't seen the majority (including the ending) of Cowboy Bebop when I first heard of KOTS-- a need that had finally become fulfilled just this past Thursday, thanks to the local library's remix collection-- and so Watanabe didn't have a terribly great stake in my decision to watch the series from the start. However, I've known Kanno a bunch from what I've heard in Wolf's Rain, GitS, and what I had already heard of CB. (Now that I've seen all of CB, though, I feel justified in having purchased its three OSTs off eBay.)

So, yeah-- Yoko Kanno's name really helped to propel me towards this series. Being brought in by that name, of course I'd be concerned about any possible changes to its on-disc domestic release. Smile /original sender of the Answerman question

504NOSON2 wrote:

Anyway, I hope Kids on the Slope gets released, in tact, and does well. I think it's one of those cross over shows, that could appeal to a much wider audience, beyond otakudom. Thought-provoking, socially relevant, and well-written series like KOTS, Rainbow: Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin (just as Cowboy Bebop and Trigun did) could lead to a new anime explosion stateside, if given proper exposure.

It happened once, who's to say it can't again?

I think there's definitely some cross-over appeal inherent in KOTS.... the thing is, I don't think there'd be a whole lot of overlap with the same audience that saw Cowboy Bebop, or at least it wouldn't be as explosive a sensation stateside. Aside from how the likes of CB and Trigun inhabited an era where TV broadcasts mattered a whole lot more, CB & Trigun at least had an action "veneer" so the mainstream could easily get into them based on how "cool," exciting, and sometimes laugh-out-loud funny they could be. KOTS is a generally quieter story that doesn't have that action veneer or anything particularly "hard-boiled" that'd resonate with much of the thrill-seeking demographic(s) that enjoyed CB, as walw6pK4Alo pointed out earlier.

Last edited by Animerican14 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Hype is creating interest.

Overhype is when the expectations set by that interest isn't met.

Driving hype has a habit of overestimating.

Thus, all the overhype.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Nah, I don't think that's just you. I think I was coming from more or less the same perspective, though perhaps with not as much substance. Interestingly, I was probably basing my own interest in Sakamichi no Apollon more on Yoko Kanno than anything or anyone else. I actually somehow hadn't seen the majority (including the ending) of Cowboy Bebop when I first heard of the series-- a need that had finally become fulfilled just this past Thursday, thanks to the local library's remix collection-- and so Watanabe didn't have a terribly great stake in my decision to watch the series from the start. However, I've known Kanno a bunch from what I've heard in Wolf's Rain, GitS, and what I had already heard of CB. (Now that I've seen all of CB, though, I feel justified in having purchased its three OSTs off eBay.)

So, yeah-- Yoko Kanno's name really helped to propel me towards this series. Being brought in by that name, of course I'd be concerned about any possible changes to its on-disc domestic release. Smile /original sender of the Answerman question

Yeah, Yoko Kanno is known for being able to switch between genres easily, but you obviously don't have the expectation that she has anything to do with the content or scriptwriting of the show, Macross Plus and Arjuna are two wholly different series, just like Escaflowne and KotS. But when you bring in "By the guy who did Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo", you have an entirely different set of wants. "From the director of good action anime comes an anime with none of that." Of course, that's to say that one doesn't think a director can be talented in multiple arenas of storytelling, but it's like billing Prometheus with "From the director of Matchstick Men", it just doesn't fit what they're known for.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
One of the many things that annoyed me about Viz's release of the Honey and Clover anime ... was the fact they totally excised "Moon River".
Now, they didn't use any existing recordings of "Moon River", especially not the recording from "Breakfast at Tiffany's". They didn't use the lyrics, only Sayaka Ohara humming the song quietly, and Mayama's ringtone.

But presumably it cost too much for just the few bars here and there.

But it's a plot point! It's part of the storyline!!

They did the same for "Over the Rainbow" and "Be My Baby" in Monster, both of which were referenced in the series (dialog also needed to be changed to accommodate the omission). And it wasn't just the OP they lost, they redid the entire soundtrack, although some of the background music remained the same, behind the original scenes, while sometimes the same music was shifted to another scene (and my understanding is that it wasn't just for Viz, but for all foreign releases except Korea). This still baffles me.

The thing is, due to copyright extension laws, pretty much nothing that's been created in the 20th century is in the public domain, unless the original creators or their descendents or subsequent rights owners have deliberately let their copyright lapse. And if the work was ever profitable, they probably haven't. (cf "Happy Birthday to You")

I'm just going to have to trust that Sentai checked all this out before licensing it. >.>

As for the word hype, when people say that, they don't mean it was marketed too much, they mean that it was false advertising, which is a completely different complaint. We expect a bit of hyperbole in advertising (our product is the best of its kind!), but when it passes a certain level of misleading-ness (our product is better than all products in the history of products - it will cure cancer and make your cat happy too!), or when the frenzy manufactured is excessive, that's overhyped.

When all the movie trailers show only blazing action sequences, and it turns out that it's all from the single action scene in the entire movie, that's overhyped. And it's irritating. There's nothing wrong with complaining about false advertising, or using that word to do it.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, Yoko Kanno is known for being able to switch between genres easily, but you obviously don't have the expectation that she has anything to do with the content or scriptwriting of the show, Macross Plus and Arjuna are two wholly different series, just like Escaflowne and KotS. But when you bring in "By the guy who did Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo", you have an entirely different set of wants. "From the director of good action anime comes an anime with none of that." Of course, that's to say that one doesn't think a director can be talented in multiple arenas of storytelling, but it's like billing Prometheus with "From the director of Matchstick Men", it just doesn't fit what they're known for.

Well, it's not just "by the same composer" here. It's "by the creators," including the director and composer. And the experience is what it's all about. The music definitely drove quite a bit of what Cowboy Bebop was all about, and this time, the music is also intricately wired to set the atmosphere.

Still, big-budget films are on a completely different level than low-budget anime localizing and production. Especially in this case, a LOT of people who are into anime now grew up on Toonami and late-night anime, so chances are good that a number of people have seen and loved Cowboy Bebop. It may not be part of the same genre, but that name works here because it's nostalgic and respectable to a lot of people, and even if it doesn't work for everyone, I think it's reliable enough to work for the mainstream agenda. Even fans who are skeptical about the new move might find it hard to resist the temptation to at least try it out because it's by a person they respect.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
There's atleast one other JP light novel on Kindle, MM9.Highly reccomended.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
One could say the hype was more exciting than the actual production. I've seen my fair share of examples of that in my time. I tend to shy away from productions that try to push it down my throat that I will be a sad pathetic individual if I don't go see their movie, because of that experience. I'll just wait till it gets an airing on the movie channels. I'm more the kind of person that loves to discover brilliant art work that hardly anyone has noticed, because they are too busy trying not to be sad and pathetic in the eye's of others, and then keep it to myself. It's a life. Wink
mirajane_fairy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
so in the end it was hype that drove you to coming up with your won unique way of finding the next show, and at the same time you developed an attitude towards creating any type of hype, so thats why you dont tell people about the shows you discover. In the end hype is what we make of it. I personally think that both cowboy bebop and trigun deserve all the hype they received, and the fact that CN aired them was a huge help hype wise. I think that both watanabe and kanno have a good track record, so the quality control will definately be in place. At the very least we will get good music out of KOTS.
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
If haruhi has another boom I don't think I'd be able to stand going to conventions anymore...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
mirajane_fairy wrote:
so in the end it was hype that drove you to coming up with your won unique way of finding the next show, and at the same time you developed an attitude towards creating any type of hype, so thats why you don't tell people about the shows you discover. In the end hype is what we make of it. I personally think that both cowboy bebop and trigun deserve all the hype they received, and the fact that CN aired them was a huge help hype wise. I think that both watanabe and kanno have a good track record, so the quality control will definately be in place. At the very least we will get good music out of KOTS.
Yeah pretty much. You got to dig for gold, or diamonds. Any prospecter will tell you that. It hasn't failed me yet. When just about every hyperbolic promotional trailer, or 30, or 10 second commercial are mostly clips of the best bits anyway, what disappoints me is when I then go and watch the whole thing after buying a ticket, I find the rest of it is just bland gobshyte, and I've already seen the best bits. I will make recomendations if asked, which seldom happens. It wasn't hype that made me watch Cowboy Bebop. I was me channel surfing one night finding Anime Central buried on some obscure channel number on the Sky Box. Haven't seen Trigun yet so don't ruin it for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4