• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in the Philippines.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:59 am Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
Didn't they use the viz dub for Ranma?

Yes, the Viz dub was aired in the Philippines. While the nudity of the first season was edited out, Shampoo's shower scene in OAV ep. 1 ("Shampoo's Sudden Switch! The Curse of the Contrary Jewel", a.k.a. "Desperately Seeking Shampoo") slipped past the censors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
E_Wing
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:01 am Reply with quote
Yeah right, and because of this I can't contribute information other that error reports on the site because of contributing tagalog info, particularly on Evangelion. And one more thing, did "kenshinflyer" forgot that GMA-7 first broadcasted Gundam, particularly Wing, G, and X (in order) and ABC-5 and ABS-CBN were the first (I think) to broadcast korean animation: RESTOL Special Rescue Squad (has an entry on the site, thanks to me), Lazenca, and Hamos. Surprised
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:55 pm Reply with quote
E_Wing wrote:
Yeah right, and because of this I can't contribute information other that error reports on the site because of contributing tagalog info, particularly on Evangelion.

That's because you were contributing Tagalog information under the English section, which is obviously false information. You were warned numerous times about committing such acts, yet you continued to submit information that belonged in the wrong place. Hence is why you were banned from the Encyclopedia.

"Donkey, you do have the right to remain silent. What you lack is the capacity." - Shrek 2 (2004)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes, they would show some animes in different channels with different dubs. For example, an english dub of Akazukin Cha Cha was shown in CN, but at the same time, ABS-CBN showed a Tagalog dub. Also, I visited the Philippines last year, and I found out that they were airing two dubs of Yu-gi-oh. CN was airing the english dub(uncut), while ABS-CBN was airing a tagalog dub.

They also do that here in the US but it's very rare. The only show I could think of that was shown in different channels with different dubs is Dragonball Z. DBZ was shown in CN in Engish, while it was also shown in Japanese on the International Channel.
kenshinflyer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:29 pm Reply with quote
E_Wing wrote:
Did "kenshinflyer" forgot that GMA-7 first broadcasted Gundam, particularly Wing, G, and X (in order) and ABC-5 and ABS-CBN were the first (I think) to broadcast korean animation: RESTOL Special Rescue Squad (has an entry on the site, thanks to me), Lazenca, and Hamos. Surprised

I'm aware of that, actually, but I just focused on the big ones. Yes, GMA did lend a hand airing some of the Gundam series (oh--those were big, and I forgot to enter it). As for RESTOL, I wasn't aware of that, I admit, because I didn't see it. RESTOL and Lazenca, though, has been resurrected on the cable-only channel Solar USA. Besides, they were too minor, and I focused only on Japanese anime. Well, nobody's perfect...

Last edited by kenshinflyer on Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
kenshinflyer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
Sometimes, they would show some animes in different channels with different dubs. For example, an english dub of Akazukin Cha Cha was shown in CN, but at the same time, ABS-CBN showed a Tagalog dub. Also, I visited the Philippines last year, and I found out that they were airing two dubs of Yu-gi-oh. CN was airing the english dub(uncut), while ABS-CBN was airing a tagalog dub.

Heheh, well, ABS-CBN is actually doing an insane tactic of airing something the others are airing. ANIMAX is airing Getbackers as they are airing their own dub. They did that again to RAVE--just as everyone (with cable, at least) got bored with RAVE on AXN, they're showing it dubbed--and on Saturdays only! Well, that goes not only for anime--their subsidiary Studio 23 is airing the encore of The Amazing Race 6 just as AXN is about to be done airing it for the first time! Sheesh. That's not fair!
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm just curious. Do they sell mangas there in the Philippines? Last time I visited the Philippines, I would look for mangas in the bookstores but found none. I figured that since anime was very popular in the Philippines, they would also sell mangas there.

Edit: I just want to make a comment about Voltes V. I remember how popular that show was when they were showing it again in the 90s. They would even play the theme song in the radio sometimes. I didn't like it though since I wasn't into mehca anime. I was more into the live-action mecha/sentai stuff.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:25 am Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
I'm just curious. Do they sell mangas there in the Philippines? Last time I visited the Philippines, I would look for mangas in the bookstores but found none. I figured that since anime was very popular in the Philippines, they would also sell mangas there.

Edit: I just want to make a comment about Voltes V. I remember how popular that show was when they were showing it again in the 90s. They would even play the theme song in the radio sometimes. I didn't like it though since I wasn't into mehca anime. I was more into the live-action mecha/sentai stuff.

When I toured Manila this past June, I found locally-translated versions of Cowboy Bebop, Slam Dunk and Ah! My Goddess (all in English). I forgot the publishers' names, though.

As for Voltes V, the theme song is the unofficial national anthem of the Philippines.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:29 am Reply with quote
Did you guys know that Philippine-dubbed anime titles have made their way here in the U.S.? Telesuccess Productions was behind the English dubs for Viz's releases of Great Dangaioh and Corrector Yui.
kenshinflyer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:11 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Animefan16 wrote:

When I toured Manila this past June, I found locally-translated versions of Cowboy Bebop, Slam Dunk and Ah! My Goddess (all in English). I forgot the publishers' names, though.

As for Voltes V, the theme song is the unofficial national anthem of the Philippines.

There are shops in Metro Manila that do sell import manga, but they are so expensive. The Ranma 1/2 english manga I bought some years ago with a $2.50 Canadian price tag costs about P200, and that Misty Girl Extreme hentai manga I bought costs upwards of P200 to P400 (I forgot). That last manga was a bad investment--I hate lesbian stuff. Oh, yes, Slam Dunk and Ragnarok: The Animation has a local manga publisher, Summit Media--the same guys handling FHM Philippines.

As for the Voltes V theme, yes, it was such a hit that it can be sung at karaoke... The other anime themes that are featured in Karaoke here are that of Pretty Sammy, Sailormoon (US only), and Yu Yu Hakusho. And, oh, Final Fantasy as well--Eyes on Me and Melodies of Life. When will they put the Yami no Matsuei theme on karaoke? I want to sing that one--that song is quite emotional (Nureta hitomi no oku/aoi tsuki wo shizuka ni/kobore ochite yuku--I love that part).
Zauriel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Hey, How come no one mentions Daimos?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:38 am Reply with quote
Zauriel wrote:
Hey, How come no one mentions Daimos?

While Daimos is very popular in the Philippines, it just isn't as legendary there as Voltes V. Still, it's a great anime; one of a select handful that mixes giant robot action with a romance subplot and does a good job at it.
Camz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
kenshinflyer wrote:
Actually, the anime situation here is quite volatile--ABS-CBN is hinting on airing Gundam Seed. And these guys are ABS-CBN--they're known known to deliver what they say (like what they did to Fruits Basket).

Am I to understand that Fruits Basket was dubbed in tagalog? Shocked
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:52 pm Reply with quote
It's on ABS-CBN which is a network channel, so it's most likely dubbed in Tagalog. It could also be in English. When I visited the Philippines 3 or 2 years ago, ABS-CBN had a different English dub of Digimon.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
It's on ABS-CBN which is a network channel, so it's most likely dubbed in Tagalog. It could also be in English. When I visited the Philippines 3 or 2 years ago, ABS-CBN had a different English dub of Digimon.

From my understanding, any anime on ABS-CBN's main channel is in Tagalog only. I don't recall them ever doing an English dub in the past 10 years. Most of the English dubbed anime by ABS-CBN (i.e. Rurouni Kenshin, titled "Samurai X") was on their affiliate Studio 23.

BTW, are you sure Digimon was in English there?

Also, when I was in the Philippines this past June, Animax-Asia aired Cyborg 009 in English. I'm not sure if the dub is different from the US version, as I haven't rented the series here yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11