• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy With Rob Bricken: Evangelion Aerocat EX

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
Haha this review made me laugh cause it was so true. I'm looking forward to more of these. Razz
konkonsn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I mean, they don't make them because they feel like it; someone has to be buying this stuff.

I wish people'd remember that when they say "XX company is screwing us over by not making any good stuff any more/dumbing down *insert series name here*."

rintaun wrote:
I have these figures as well (I got them out of one of those said UFO Catcher machines), and while the cameltoe is a bit disturbing, it isn't visible on either character if the characters are sitting face-forward. Also, the liquid in the dish (mine, at least) is distinctly blue, not white -- it doesn't really look "milky" at all.

Yeah, I'll admit they're not the best Eva figures ever, but I don't really like Eva anyway, so it doesn't make a big difference to me. They're cute when placed face-forward on a shelf -- exactly how and where they sit in my room.

Admittedly, I don't own a lot of figures. But I love to play with the ones I do own, even those that aren't poseable (not, like, Barbie play, but moving them around and stuff). To me, there's no sense in getting something just to display it. So yeah, if I'm going to see something weird if I pick up my model and admire it, let alone if I decide to display it in some unorthodox manner (like not face forward for whatever reason), it becomes a problem.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Sega's stopped making games that are fun to play or anything like that, so they have to resort to sluttifying the Eva girls.

That's my guess, anyway. Anime smile + sweatdrop

You're talking about a series that has one character frequently naked.

oops Rei has removed her clothes and is now starring blankly at a box of cereal.

Though I will say that I am suprised that only one person noticed that the tails have to be sex devices.
madyoukai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
I liked these figures when i ordered them and i think they look great on the dash of my frieghtliner. so much in fact that my tattoo artist is drawing them up right now and drawing my angel xx zerul to look just like rei and asuka but now idk the last thing i need is more people talking bad about some thing i did to my body because i thought it looked cool. but to each there own i mean robs probley got a lot more expericence with this stuff then i do so i can respect his opinon but i still get a few negitive comments about my inuyasha tattoo which i had done b4 it was on tv btw, i still want one from the op of elfenlied but i think its to graphic to be periment, i will agree that i do have "better" figures of asuka but i payed 3-4 times as much and there not in such a "provoctive" pose. sorry this started as a comment but ended as a rant im just kinda in a bad mood right now. and yes i do look foward to future reviews
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Don't be so sure of that!
http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN956496
Actually, it's not Rei. It's just Unit 00 as a chibi female character. I got it the other day. I was trying for Gendo.

I've got a Gendo like that from another set..(no desk)
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Sega's stopped making games that are fun to play or anything like that, so they have to resort to sluttifying the Eva girls.

That's my guess, anyway. ^_^'

Actually, Sega's been in the business of cheap amusements in arcades long before there even were video games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega

Photo booths, crane games, Pachinko, pinball, Sega's had its hands in it all since the 1950's. Producing the toys that go into its crane games are just another sensible business move by the huge holding company - SegaSammy - that runs the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Sammy_Holdings

Producing video games is just a tiny part of this monolith, and quite frankly there's much more money to be made in the home market with capsule toys.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
So, I was in a (Japanese) recycle shop earlier today and was looking at the figures, hoping to snag some good finds, and, I kid you not, at least half of all of the shelves were filled with Rei and Asuka. I saw most of the toys mentioned in these discussions. This leads me to one of two conclusions:

1. These two have become mascot characters for anime in general.
2. Nobody wants these figures anymore, so they all bring them to the recycle shops.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:19 am Reply with quote
thats so cruel if you dont want them i would take them
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
I'm not really a figurine collector myself - I tend to pretty much exclusively buy the actual manga and anime themselves - but I've found these articles interesting if for no other reason than seeing the process of turning animated figures into 3D figurines. It doesn't surprise me that it's difficult, especially when done cheaply. I'm glad this is going weekly, so that hopefully we can see a greater variety of figurines... and at the same time, I hope that going weekly doesn't exhaust your budget entirely, preventing you from getting some good ones that might be more expensive.
stopher87

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
The bowl was priceless.
poisondusk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear the column is going weekly. Count me in as another regular reader. In fact, your review of the Figma Lelouch is responsible for figure collecting becoming a hobby of mine.

The faces on those figures are kind of scary, especially Asuka. The Rei one doesn't look quite as bad, ignoring how incredibly out of character it is. Normally I quite like the cat ears look on a character, but in this case they just look sort of weird rather than cute.
Raja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
So, I was in a (Japanese) recycle shop earlier today and was looking at the figures, hoping to snag some good finds, and, I kid you not, at least half of all of the shelves were filled with Rei and Asuka. I saw most of the toys mentioned in these discussions. This leads me to one of two conclusions:

2. Nobody wants these figures anymore, so they all bring them to the recycle shops.
The recycle shop in my neck 'o Japan also had shelves and shelves of abandoned Rei & Asuka, most from UFO catchers, most unopened. Recently they seem to have unloaded a bunch of them. I don't think anyone bought them, though...more likely they've been rotated out of the shop and into the big storage containers in back for a while. They keep one or two of each on the shelf in-store. I guess they sell better that way.

I've unloaded a few of them there myself...
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:

As much as I truly love the Evangelion saga, one part that always pissed me off was the excessive merchandising. Yes, I realize every anime has its share of statues and gashapon and UFO Catcher toys and CONDOMS (not sure if that counts as NSFW, but just in case) and limited edition drinks and what have you, but come on, they've been milkin' this poor Bessie for more than ten years now. I realize Eva's hot again because they gave it a purdy new coat of paint, but good God, it's almost as bad as that memorable scene with Yogurt in Spaceballs at this point.

EDIT: I just read that that's actually cheese in that link, but that's the best I could find in my search for Hello Kitty condoms. Sadly.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, I haven't ever read this column before as I've stopped collecting action figures, but this was hilarious. Loved the last picture of them in the litterbox. I'm going to have to go back and read the others now, so I'm glad to have found this and that it's going weekly!
peko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I say bizarre because I'm, in fact, a girl. Embarassed

You and me both.

I actually bought the things for the "this just too insane" factor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7