• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
All About Licensing: Part I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Wow..suddenly a lot of ADV's business decisions make way more sense. Laughing

Do they ever. I don't even want to remember how much was paid for Kurau: Phantom Memory, a show I love but which doesn't have widespread appeal.
sdzero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote
Hmm...very educating.

How many drunken orgies will it take to get the rest of Hajime no Ippo Fighting Spirit to get licensed to release in the United States? Geneon's tab went dry before they could complete the entire series.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
"Saliva Princess", huh?

I immediately thought of Mysterious Girlfriend X.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that was the joke.

Also, I figured the 35mm film being explosive was just a movie thing. Learn something everyday.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I don't even want to remember how much was paid for Kurau: Phantom Memory, a show I love but which doesn't have widespread appeal.

It's important to remember this title was licensed when things were much different than they are today. This series was licensed when singles were being sold to the market.

This article didn't (or hasn't) touched the issue yet, but today's R1 is paying less for titles than they did a decade ago.

It'll be interesting to see if the article's future shows how restricting these licenses have been to companies outside of Japan.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
varmintx wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I never imagined [...] that 35 mm film was explosive.
Not a Tarantino fan I take it?
That idea's actually from a Hitchcock movie.
The brief scene on the right side of the split-screen shown within Inglourious Basterds there is from that Hitchcock film: Sabotage. Tarantino likes to cite his homages. Smile
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
A couple of edits:
I assume that "precedes" is meant in the first sentence.
Third to last sentence in Why Licensing Happens, "tailor advertising".
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
Saliva princess, hahahaha! Way to go Justin.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Wow..suddenly a lot of ADV's business decisions make way more sense. Laughing

Do they ever. I don't even want to remember how much was paid for Kurau: Phantom Memory, a show I love but which doesn't have widespread appeal.

I love the show myself as well, however i don't think it was worth near the one million dollars adv had to pay to license the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I never imagined drunken orgies to be a regular part of negotiations, or that 35 mm film was explosive.

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrocellulose
One of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time, like huge balloons filled with hydrogen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
One of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time, like huge balloons filled with hydrogen.

What was wrong with huge balloons filled with hydrogen? You can't be thinking of the Hindenburg, since hydrogen wasn't its problem, so what are you referring to?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Uh....the fact that Hydrogen is absurdly flammable?
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Pretty interesting article.

Unfortunately it's not gonna stop those fansubs anytime soon. Or those illegal streaming websites.

Probably the reason why most of the CEO's of some of these anime companies are in support of SOPA & PIPA,which would help in a way,but it's crossing the line in a big way too. Especially when it comes that makes anime AMV's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Always enjoy these kinds of business-related articles - thanks, Justin! I wonder if any future installments will touch upon the reputed practice of, "oh you want this title? Then you'll also have to take this crap title, as well."
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
This was an interesting article, but dam chicken that joke is LOL. I really hope their not getting people drunk to gain trust.....

Expensive meals with expensive alcohol are a standard part of the sales mating dance in almost any industry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Delivery on HD-CAM is literally having someone duplicate the master tape (this can be up to US$300 per tape, which typically has 2-3 episodes on it), and FedEx it overseas. Not a big deal for a movie, but for a TV series that can add up quickly. Nowadays a publisher is just as likely to ask for broadcast-quality video files on a hard drive, since HD-CAM decks cost close to US$50,000.
Not forgetting the timecode logs for editing. HD-CAM has plummeted in value ever since the 11/03/11 earthquake and tsunami wiped the only factory in the world, located in Sandai, making the tapes literally off the face of the planet. SRs that sold for £75,000 each, are now just expensive boat anchors, and when the remaining world supply of HD-Cam tapes finally dry up the 2000 series will be dumped right on top of them. Video files is the future forever.
Quote:
Adjusted Gross Revenue
Should that be "Adjusted Net Revenue" since that will be what's left after the publisher gets his percentage of profit over and above his costs, in short; his slice of the pie? Gross being the whole pie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6