• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Firms Say They Were Forced to Take Low Tenders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
The solution to this problem? Less animators/animation houses. As long as there's a glut of animation houses and not enough work to go around, they'll be able to gouge the price into the ground. Basic law of supply and demand.

Japan likes to support (i.e. subsidize) small and inneffecient methods of production (mainly farming), and they dislike when small businesses like this get screwed, but that's just the state of the industry.

I mean, where is the money going to come from exactly to pay everyone a fair wage?

Man, that's just plain ignorant. They had this problem for decades.
Cutting down manpower and studios will not improve their budget.
Inefficient, you say? The farming enables you, the viewer, to watch latest new Anime titles in weekly basis without reruns. You know that one TV episode is takes 2 to 3 months to produce for one studio. Without farming, it'll take 3 years to make one TV season. During slow season without a decent contract, small manpower is must for a company to stay afloat. If the company is too big, there is always a chance of layoffs when there is no contract. The similar thing happened to Nickelodeon NY studio.

Ideally, The industry shouldn't make a habit of favoring verbal contract over written contract. It's always a bad business practice. Also it made me wonder if they ever adjusted their budget against inflation. I'm surprised that they're not setting up minimal budget limit rule for industry. Are they that afraid of complete oversea subcontracts? Like it or not, oversea subcontract has happening for years.

To me, it's just abnormal for an animation industry to produce so much titles per year. I think some fan-pandering sponsors, both start-up and traditional, are one of the main reasons that inflamed overproduction at insufficient manpower. Overproduction caused new small subcontract studios to pop-up all over the place with illusion of success. Honestly, who wants to produce fan-pandering shows like "Sister-Princess" at 5.5 million yen ($55,000) per episode to stay afloat? In my opinion, they should go out more outside of Akihabara, outside of Tokyo, outside of Japan to promote their original shows.

You know that Japan is only country where it produces something like 100+ animation titles per year since the new century. Big and small production facilities are bound to appear when there are plenty of productions to go around. That goes to any industry. When a commodity was hot, all sizes of subcontract business appeared. (For example, computer industry). As matter of fact, Japan is in frantic mode to recruit new animation talents by setting up course in colleges and trade schools.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I don't understand what this means.

To be short,it means the anime industry in Japan is getting nailed hard by this recession.

But my real concern is will this affect the US industry???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
samuelp wrote:
The solution to this problem? Less animators/animation houses. As long as there's a glut of animation houses and not enough work to go around, they'll be able to gouge the price into the ground. Basic law of supply and demand.

Japan likes to support (i.e. subsidize) small and inneffecient methods of production (mainly farming), and they dislike when small businesses like this get screwed, but that's just the state of the industry.

I mean, where is the money going to come from exactly to pay everyone a fair wage?

Man, that's just plain ignorant. They had this problem for decades.
Cutting down manpower and studios will not improve their budget.
Inefficient, you say? The farming enables you, the viewer, to watch latest new Anime titles in weekly basis without reruns. You know that one TV episode is takes 2 to 3 months to produce for one studio. Without farming, it'll take 3 years to make one TV season. During slow season without a decent contract, small manpower is must for a company to stay afloat. If the company is too big, there is always a chance of layoffs when there is no contract. The similar thing happened to Nickelodeon NY studio.

When I said the government subsidezed farming, I meant FARMING, as in agriculture. The Japanes government pays billions of dollars every year to small one-family home rice farms in rural parts of the country, in order to keep ancient traditions of farming alive and to placate the rural parts of the country politically. They actually pay people to NOT install modern equipment.

I was making the comparison that many small animation studios doing small parts of one show is inneffeciant and ends up letting the small studios get bullied by the larger ones who hire them for work.
If the smaller studios banded together or generally combined into a smaller number of studios (that each employed more people), that would enable the animators to better bargain for wages/benefits.

I wasn't talking about less ANIMATORS, I was talking about less animation houses, i.e. fewer houses that each employ more people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3