• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Armor Girls Wing Gundam

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
Good to know that this figure is so frustrating to keep together. I have a strange fondness for moe gijinka and Gundam Wing so I would have otherwise been tempted to get this figure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
That fact that it's a moe Gundam already puts it under my "No way Jose" list.
arhra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
You know, she might not fall apart so easily if you'd actually read the instructions and assembled her correctly.

There may be other screwups that aren't so blatant, but the wings being upside down is kinda obvious, and is going to make a big difference to how stable her upper-body armour is.

She's still pretty damn fiddly, and definitely has a few weak spots (her hands in particular aren't nearly as secure as I'd like), but other than that she's no worse than any other comparably complex figure (pick any random shinki, for instance, figma WRS, etc). Getting her to hold the gun was definitely a fiddly procedure, but once I had it in place it was pretty damn secure, thanks to the tab that slots into the forearm armour (which was a perfect fit for the arms on mine, at least).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
That fact that it's a moe Gundam already puts it under my "No way Jose" list.

Some people would buy anything moe, and some people would buy anything Gundam. Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
What? You mean not all of her clothes fall off? I'm not buying that. Razz
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Some people would buy anything moe, and some people would buy anything Gundam. :lol:

Ah, the old Venn diagram ploy. Well played. XD
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
arhra wrote:
You know, she might not fall apart so easily if you'd actually read the instructions and assembled her correctly.

At first I looked at this-- as I assure you, I did pore over the instructions as I always do-- and thought "Wait, they're upside down? No, they're fine! That's the part that's supposed to be on top!"

But obviously (if you look at photo 4) it really IS upside down at the backpack part, and yes, that is a problem that would make a mess of the wings, as I experienced. Thank you for pointing this out, it's honestly appreciated. I definitely made a mistake here (I think my first of my run here!), and my apologies to the readers. I'll do better.

I stand by the rest though. I get that this is going to be fidgety by nature, due to what it is, and when I started playing with it I took this into account and was ready to give it some allowances. This was too much, though.

I just had a miserable time playing with this thing, and even putting aside the paint/sculpt, that's a failure for a toy.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
Well, David, at least you can take comfort it's not your money wasted on this.

Bandai's die casts are decent, but they've yet to ever impress me with their plastic line. What's even more odd: the higher the price, the worse it gets.

As for the parts falling out, can't say this is just a Bandai issue. It seems every company is having problems with pin-attached accessories.

They're either too loose or too tight, though I prefer the former. I'm tired of hearing the "snap" (followed by incessant cursing) of pins being too tight.

One of these days, this market's going to realize the incredible profits it can have once they realize there's a tremendous after market for accessory replacement with figures like this.
nakobass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
I buy a lot of Japanese figures like this. Clear Nail Polish should solve most of the problems with the armor falling off.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
First I started reading this article and thought "Is this a joke?" Then I realized, no...no...it's no joke...Wing Gundam really has been reimagined as a moe girl. Saddest face ever. Gundam Wing is the only series I've ever collected mecha figures from, and they're all currently in boxes in my closest due to unfortunate kamikaze attacks from my bookshelf one day. If this had been an actual figure of the mecha without the girl aspect, I'd be interested. Hell, if it had been Heero Yuy that you attach all the pieces to, I'd be interested. But I suppose they figure most figure collectors are more interested in moe girls than bishounen boys. Sadness.

Speaking of bishounen boys, you gave me nightmare fuel at the comment about the Saint Seiya Myth figures being shoddily made. I spent over three hours piecing together Gemini Saga from the Myth EX line. Three hours for one of the finest figurines I've ever set up. Then an hour alone posing him. The thought of him being made *cheaply*... ::massive shudder:: [/i]
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Aynslesa wrote:
First I started reading this article and thought "Is this a joke?" Then I realized, no...no...it's no joke...Wing Gundam really has been reimagined as a moe girl. Saddest face ever.

You're acting like this stuff is completely new, when it's been around for ages in other media. This book was released back in '94, while this book was published only a couple of years ago.

While I might not have purchased the first book when it was published nearly twenty years ago, I don't think that I got it too long after that. Because of this article, I pulled it off my shelves and flipped through it for the first time in a very long time. ^^ The MS represented are from 0079 through 0083 and F91, but that shouldn't be a surprise given when it was released. I didn't know that the second book existed, and I wouldn't consider purchasing it without being able to flip through it to see the contents first...
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Man, Noizi Ito should sue somebody...
Sekari

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:55 am Reply with quote
This reminds me more of Natsumi in Keroro Gunso, than the actual Gundam Wing / 00.
nakobass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I Just got this Figure. I had none of the problems you described. I love this figure. All the joints are tight, the Armor stays just fine. Totally worth the 60 bucks I paid for it. That's including tax, You should shop at Big In Japan. Thay have the best deals on figures like this. I hope they release more of these. They are really cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1