• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dreamworks Acquires Casshern

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Sweet. I really wanted to see that movie. Does it mean that it'll get a theatrical run like "Innocence: Ghost In The Shell 2"?
UberTai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Sweet. I really wanted to see that movie. Does it mean that it'll get a theatrical run like "Innocence: Ghost In The Shell 2"?

I hope so. If it does, it'll come to my town, which I've got no problem with Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:10 pm Reply with quote
More likely, it means that there'll be an American remake. If we're really "lucky", starring Richard Gere or Tom Hanks. Meh.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:07 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
More likely, it means that there'll be an American remake. If we're really "lucky", starring Richard Gere or Tom Hanks. Meh.

- abunai

I'll bet you 2 Euro that you're wrong Abunai. I expect to see Dreamworks release this, probably through GoFish.

-t
PlayBoi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Finally, one of the greatest Japanese movies will be released here. I was waiting, hopefully I can pe-order it at deepdiscount soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it going to be shown in theaters first? I downloaded the preview to it 7 months ago, looks to be pretty good.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
i read this first on the GoFish GITS2 message boards, the admin there say that board will be used for the Casshern release discussions, so im pretty sure Dreamworks will do it through GoFish
Erufu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Dreamworks released GiTS2? I didn't paid attention to this movie because I couldn't see it until it came out on DVD. I hope hope HOPE! that it's the original! I think it would have said that they acquired rights to the story or script if they were going to remake it. I kept looking for a subbed version of this, and now I might not have to wait long! (Read as a year)
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:01 am Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
I kept looking for a subbed version of this, and now I might not have to wait long! (Read as a year)

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DA-452
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:35 am Reply with quote
Thus far, this is the best Anime based live action film thus far. (which may not be saying much after witnessing disapointments I.E.fist of the northstar,Guyver,8th Man,etc.)

The CGI effects are grandiose (not what you would expect from most live action Japanese Movies.) and it actually has a decent plot.It's much different from the OVAs i watched back in the 90's. the storyline however is somewhat riddled with philisophical cliche's, in reference to the Brutalities of war,what is considered to be a living being,and of course pathos.

(some of the material reminds me of previous films and Anime series like Terminator,Blade runner,Last Exile and the main villian resembles a 45 year old Dante from the Devil may cry videogame. Razz ))

If Dreamworks plan on distributing Casshern to American Markets, more than likely tweaking via edits, will surely follow.
as the story pacing may alienate a few westerners. but Anime fans/Otakus will eat this one up.

The director has the potentual to be the next James Cameron or Spielberg. (you'll see what i mean after watching this flick.)

personally i give it an -A. Another classic that deserves it's place among other great Asian Cinemas like Battle Royale,Hero,Crouiching Tiger,etc.

F**king Classic Exclamation
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't bet on this getting as wide a release as GITS2 did. That had the success of the first movie to help it, I don't think Casshern will do nearly as well.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Thus far, this is the best Anime based live action film thus far. (which may not be saying much after witnessing disapointments I.E.fist of the northstar,Guyver,8th Man,etc.)

Bah, it would have to damn impress me for it to beat the live-action Cutie Honey! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:38 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

- abunai

Yeah, but who will play the duck?
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:54 am Reply with quote
Why is everyone expecting so little from DreamWorks? I mean, when did they give us any evidence to suggest that they will screw this up? We won't know anything for a while, so stop expecting the worst from someone who has done nothing to deserve this criticism.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:08 am Reply with quote
Anti-Mainstreamist wrote:
Why is everyone expecting so little from DreamWorks? I mean, when did they give us any evidence to suggest that they will screw this up? We won't know anything for a while, so stop expecting the worst from someone who has done nothing to deserve this criticism.

BUT WHO WILL PLAY THE DUCK?!?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2