• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 3 Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
But using the Japanese dub to determine whether a series is good or bad doesn't work by that metric because an English one could always improve upon it(given the comments I've heard, Medaka Box might be such a case). Since ANN already ranks every other component separately, the most sensical idea I can salvage from your position would be to have dedicated subscores for each dub, in addition to the current overall scores. It's actually probably not that bad idea, except I'm not sure that most ANN reviewers are actually competent to grade Japanese voice acting.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
But using the Japanese dub to determine whether a series is good or bad doesn't work by that metric because an English one could always improve upon it(given the comments I've heard, Medaka Box might be such a case). Since ANN already ranks every other component separately, the most sensical idea I can salvage from your position would be to have dedicated subscores for each dub, in addition to the current overall scores. It's actually probably not that bad idea, except I'm not sure that most ANN reviewers are actually competent to grade Japanese voice acting.

Once again I think we are talking about two different things. To put it simply I am only talking about the creator's input into the series that made it what it was..that includes the sub because the director (Shinbo in this case) would have worked with the Japanese cast to get the performances he wanted.

I am not saying the dub cannot improve on a series for someone. Perhaps the person likes dubs more or perhaps the dub is better. The dub can be judged on its own artistic merit & as you said if it added to the experience for the viewer but I think it's something separate from critically judging Madoka. Whether a series is a good or bad series to me depends on the work of who made it what it was: that would be Shinbo, Urobuchi, and the rest of the Japanese staff, the dub came later and is not part of their work.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
To make things clear, the problem you have is that the dub is rated highly because the show carries it instead of the dub performance itself?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
I think the "dub" score should be separate from the overall series score. It just doesn't make sense to me to have a dub be negative or "weak" and not see an actual score for that. Everything should be graded on its own merits, not carried by something else. Then the overall score should reflect the final verdict.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Once again I think we are talking about two different things. To put it simply I am only talking about the creator's input into the series that made it what it was..that includes the sub because the director (Shinbo in this case) would have worked with the Japanese cast to get the performances he wanted.

I am not saying the dub cannot improve on a series for someone. Perhaps the person likes dubs more or perhaps the dub is better. The dub can be judged on its own artistic merit & as you said if it added to the experience for the viewer but I think it's something separate from critically judging Madoka. Whether a series is a good or bad series to me depends on the work of who made it what it was: that would be Shinbo, Urobuchi, and the rest of the Japanese staff, the dub came later and is not part of their work.
My point was that it's possible for the Japanese dub to have deficiencies the English dub doesn't; Medaka Box is getting a lot of flack for feeling like the cast and crew really isn't putting their hearts into it, so an invested English cast could produce a superior dub fairly easily if that's the case(and it makes the perfect example). Which goes to my point - if a comparatively easy part to replace is subpar in the original but an English version improves, would it really be fair to grade the whole product by the inferior dub just because it's the original? The second somebody selects a non-Japanese audio track it becomes part of the work and the original one ceases to be so. Even if you claim this makes them two different works, it just reinforces that they should be graded separately.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 31 of 31