• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Afro Samurai: Resurrection Director's Cut DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
Glad you said that about Ninja Ninja (worst anime name ever) because I completely agree on the kinda racist part. They make such a big deal about Samuel L. Jackson being in it, but I feel he adds very very little to it (besides his name being a selling point).

While the art and animation definitely have a unique style (with butt-ugly characters), I don't think the animation is all that great. I have no problem with style-over-substance action stories...but this just doesn't have an appealing style.
I have the movie DVRed, but I haven't really watched it yet. I'll watch it if only to see Teddy Bear head, the one thing I liked from the OVA. I was really really disappointed with the OVA so I don't expect much at all from this.
boznia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...the film works as kind of a modern cousin to all those ultra-violent high-budget OVAs that came out of Japan in the 80's, with a uniquely Western flavor added in and a metric ton of hip-hop culture.

This is a great way of describing Afro Samurai. I saw the original series for the first time on Sunday with the movie, and I figured by what I'd seen and heard beforehand it would echo those OVAs, and I was proven right. I shouldn't have watched it all back to back though; the violence started to numb me and I couldn't fully appreciate the fighting (which is of course the most important part).
Quote:
The plot is fairly thin and simply involves Afro retrieving the #2 headband – which includes a potentially interesting little B-plot that sucks up a fair amount of the middle of the film but ultimately exists just to provide a tiny little denouement at the end...

That "B-plot" was my favorite part. It wasn't really anything amazing or surprising, but I thought it was the best. (That Liam O'Brien was involved in it didn't hurt. Smile I thought he did a good job.)
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
They have billboards all over L.A. for the anime.

The billboards are for the video game released this Tuesday.

Lance
That minty fresh FUNimation Guy
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Glad you said that about Ninja Ninja (worst anime name ever) because I completely agree on the kinda racist part. They make such a big deal about Samuel L. Jackson being in it, but I feel he adds very very little to it (besides his name being a selling point).

While the art and animation definitely have a unique style (with butt-ugly characters), I don't think the animation is all that great. I have no problem with style-over-substance action stories...but this just doesn't have an appealing style.
I have the movie DVRed, but I haven't really watched it yet. I'll watch it if only to see Teddy Bear head, the one thing I liked from the OVA. I was really really disappointed with the OVA so I don't expect much at all from this.

Why ARE the main characters so damn ugly? I mean Afro looks like someone beat him with the ugly stick till the damn thing broke. Of course, the main villain is hot so as to draw in the horny teen crowd, but why does everyone else look like they had their faces run through a meat grinder?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
boznia wrote:
Quote:
...the film works as kind of a modern cousin to all those ultra-violent high-budget OVAs that came out of Japan in the 80's, with a uniquely Western flavor added in and a metric ton of hip-hop culture.

This is a great way of describing Afro Samurai. I saw the original series for the first time on Sunday with the movie, and I figured by what I'd seen and heard beforehand it would echo those OVAs, and I was proven right. I shouldn't have watched it all back to back though; the violence started to numb me and I couldn't fully appreciate the fighting (which is of course the most important part).
Quote:
The plot is fairly thin and simply involves Afro retrieving the #2 headband – which includes a potentially interesting little B-plot that sucks up a fair amount of the middle of the film but ultimately exists just to provide a tiny little denouement at the end...

That "B-plot" was my favorite part. It wasn't really anything amazing or surprising, but I thought it was the best. (That Liam O'Brien was involved in it didn't hurt. Smile I thought he did a good job.)

I have to agree here. This presented the most interesting bit of plot in that it paralleled Afro's childhood. His vengeance and fighting only ended up making another just like him. The music was pretty sweet for this, and it was impressive to see what a big budget can do, especially for Sio. I do agree with Zac that having the villain's intentions restated multiple times was ridiculous. It's not like it was so complex that people wouldn't get it the first time.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:

Why ARE the main characters so damn ugly? I mean Afro looks like someone beat him with the ugly stick till the damn thing broke. Of course, the main villain is hot so as to draw in the horny teen crowd, but why does everyone else look like they had their faces run through a meat grinder?

Well...back from Afro's student days, the designs are relatively Champlooish. Hell, Jinno looks pretty cool.

But seriously...there's no topping teddy-bear-head. Where the rest are residue stains, he's the Mr. Clean all-purpose sponge.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
Even a teddy bear mask-wearing psycho killer can't top the ultimate teddy bear cosplayer:

Seriously.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Even a teddy bear mask-wearing psycho killer can't top the ultimate teddy bear cosplayer:

Seriously.

..........Touche.
kynoki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
all i can say is who cares about the story its SAM L were talking about
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
kynoki wrote:

A high profile actor lending voices to a show does not an automatically awesome show make.

Speaking of which, I can't shake the feeling that Ninja Ninja seems sorta like D's wisecracking sentient hand, but he sounds like he's not nearly as cool as said hand.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
kynoki wrote:

A high profile actor lending voices to a show does not an automatically awesome show make.

Speaking of which, I can't shake the feeling that Ninja Ninja seems sorta like D's wisecracking sentient hand, but he sounds like he's not nearly as cool as said hand.

Hey now. Sam Jackson added spice to the otherwise shitty Star Wars prequels.

NSFW...?
JackCox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote
IT was a fair review, again this would probably be A level anime if the story was written better.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
But how's the "dub" grade? Laughing

Lady Sio, yet another little girl all-growed-up that should've sexed up Afro S.L.J. like in the original! Wink

It's like Shaft - nobody watches it for the plot, just to see a badass be a badass. Laughing
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
kynoki wrote:

No, but to be fair, he's also an executive producer. And he's been vetting attempts at a live-action movie adaptation, which he says so far have strayed too far from the material.

In an IGN interview last week, when asked what anime productions are his favourites, he mentioned Ninja Scroll and Black Lagoon. I think that gives us a sense of what Afro Samurai is going for. It's over-the-top, it's deliriously violent, it's sometimes outright dumb ... but it's also cool, fun and at times even poetic.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
Not quite.Sure it may go over the top,but it was definately good. Also i disagree with the story review. it's similar to samurari champloo,(story wise) except without the annoying girl so i can releate to it since i saw it on AS . Though the visuals leaves something to be desired,the action is very hardcore. I recomend watching it at least once.you'll might enjoy it as much as i do.

Overall: A-
Story: C+
Animation: B-
Art: B-
Music: A+
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3