• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Afro Samurai: Resurrection Director's Cut DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
kynoki wrote:
all i can say is who cares about the story its SAM L were talking about

A high profile actor lending voices to a show does not an automatically awesome show make.

No, but to be fair, he's also an executive producer. And he's been vetting attempts at a live-action movie adaptation, which he says so far have strayed too far from the material.

In an IGN interview last week, when asked what anime productions are his favourites, he mentioned Ninja Scroll and Black Lagoon. I think that gives us a sense of what Afro Samurai is going for. It's over-the-top, it's deliriously violent, it's sometimes outright dumb ... but it's also cool, fun and at times even poetic.

Really, he wants a live version? That's...interesting. Of course, maybe they're waiting to see how Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball, and Astro Boy pan out. Hollywood would probably try to bank on Afro though, because when you think about it, they would realize that this series is popular and meant for mass consumption, two ingredients that make up the majority of noisy summer popcorn flicks.

I'm still lost as to what, exactly, is so appealing/attractive about Sio or her design. Can someone help me out? I don't get it. Sad
Beruda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
If they are still streaming it for free I'll check it out. I really didn't like the series but I'll watch almost anything for free.

B. Smile
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm still lost as to what, exactly, is so appealing/attractive about Sio or her design. Can someone help me out? I don't get it. Sad

Well, I think Sio's appeal was that she had a large bust size, and she was wearing clothes that revealed said bust to a fairly large degree. That being said, I thought that her face looked pretty strange at times, which made her seem pretty unattractive for the mostpart.

Also, if anybody had seen Afro Samurai prior to watching this, they knew what they were in for, but I still felt robbed (figuratively of course, I watched it for free on TV)spoiler[ after the fight between Afro and his father. I mean, the entire movie was building up to this moment, and then all you really get is Afro getting killed, Jinno getting killed, Sio getting killed, Afro coming back to life by the miracle of Dr. Frankenstein, and then Afro killing his father (Sadly there isn't much actual fighting here, as that's basically the highlight of the movie). The fight between Afro and the Number Two was way better than that. ]

Last edited by Brazzlefrazz on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
I absolutely love it how everyone here thinks that Zac was insinuating the movie was god-awful.

Retardism coupled with lack of reading comprehension = Wacky fun! (albeit, not)

As for me personally...This thing IS all about the cool. And the cool I like. That said...it's tough to trump the Afro VS Jinno fight from the original series... And trump it, this did not...

P.S. Sam Murai, you should copy your post into WordPad, then delete it. Afterwards, slap it onto a PM, and send it to everyone who's online right now.

Cause everyone luffs walls of text.

Well, I actually did use WordPad to write up the post, I just forgot about the deletion and PM parts... Razz

Normally I shy from writing long posts like that, but what I read and felt about the review and the film warrented it (and it's not terribly long, I just commented on some of the things that were pointed out). It's not a big deal and nothing worth regretting, either. On another matter, while Zac didn't say the film was "god-awful", he did mention parts that were.

Brazzlefrazz wrote:
Also, if anybody had seen Afro Samurai prior to watching this, they knew what they were in for, but I still felt robbed (figuratively of course, I watched it for free on TV)spoiler[ after the fight between Afro and his father. I mean, the entire movie was building up to this moment, and then all you really get is Afro getting killed, Jinno getting killed, Sio getting killed, Afro coming back to life by the miracle of Dr. Frankenstein, and then Afro killing his father. The fight between Afro and the Number Two was way better than that. ]

I dunno...it seemed like the fighting as a whole wasn't up to par with the first series. The first one of the film was great, but the others felt too plodding and dull at times, with the slight exception of spoiler[Afro's fight against Sio's foster family].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Oh, and Brazzle...I was being sarcastic, bro. I'm not sure if you picked up on that, but...I was referring to the struck-out words in Zaccy's review. Razz
letniinside

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:09 am Reply with quote
Afro samurai: Resurrection?

The first title (Afro Samurai) is horrible, and it has a sequel?
Afro samurai: resurrection is just TERRIBLE even more!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's very dry, shallow, terrible story, plot, setting, concept, character design & development, values, sound (english dubbed su cks), soundtrack etc.
The only good in this movie is the Animation. You can tell that S.L. Jackson (an Amateur to anime) has a lot of influence on this!!!(Just stay in live-movie acting dude!!!!)
Eric Calderon, it doesnt mean that his "Samuel L. Jackson" means he has good concepts (in Afro Samurai), dont be star strucked (youre being unprofessional)!!! You can always refuse him like "no, it should be this way etc"

I dont know why GONZO accept this commission. This is their GREATEST MISTAKE!!!

Eric Calderon! The FIVE KILLERS MUST & SHOULD be A MASTERPIECE!!!!
It should HAVE a GOOD story, plot, character design & development, values, sound (no lousy dubbed like Samuel L. Jackson & Lucy Liu but JAPaNESE is GReatLY Appreciated), with good soundtrack, etc!!!!!!!
Try to review/research some anime influence in JAPAN... Dont Let any Westerner tinker your "The Five Killers" Project like you let in Afro SAmurai (You can always refuse S.L.J. in Afro S. but too late the "Horribleness" is already unleashed...
Oh, and include Afro samurai & AS Resurrection in your FIVE KILLERS concept & story board with a HUGE RED [X] mark on it with a sign "BIG MISTAKE". You should learn from it (Afro Samurai & AS: Resurrection) that it is the Most Terrible Samurai Anime Ever/ of ALL Time!

To Samuel L. Jackson, Eric Calderon & Funimation... try to watch Samurai Champloo, Samurai X, Samurai 7, & Sword of the Stranger!!!!!! You can tell the difference (which is "infinite universe" apart)

LASTLY, Samuel L. Jackson & Eric Calderon, FUNIMATION, Afro Samurai & AS: Resurrection are a GREAT DOUBLE INSULT to Samurai Genre!!!! (shouting!!!!!!!! deafening*)

NO MORE SEQUEL!!!!!!! (even more shouting!!!!! even more deafening*)

AWESOME WORKS (Afro Samurai & Afro Samurai: Resurrection) ON INSULTING THE SAMURAI GENRE! AWESOME!
TheVok

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
letniinside wrote:
You can tell that S.L. Jackson (an Amateur to anime) has a lot of influence on this!!!(Just stay in live-movie acting dude!!!!)

It would be a damned shame if he'd never done 'The Incredibles' ... and hopefully he'll be around if Pixar makes a sequel.

(And let's also not forget his work on 'The Boondocks'!)
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, and Brazzle...I was being sarcastic, bro. I'm not sure if you picked up on that, but...I was referring to the struck-out words in Zaccy's review. Razz

Oh, I know. It's just that I felt like stating that aside from how she was well endowed and all, she didn't seem to be very attractive for the majority of the movie. I know that the art style does kind of make everyone look pretty ugly, but I thought that the girl from the original (I can't remember her name offhand) was much better looking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3