• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Extra Seconds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
@Ryan and the other dude, bless you sirs for pointing out the obvious

FPS have not changed other than graphically since the first one, either doom or wolfstein, and are constantly lauded with every release

JRPG always recieve criticism as being static, but they are probably the most diverse genre, having turn based, hack and slash, strategy, hybrid gameplays etc. , not to mention stories and more importantly usually strong characters

And last of us does look like some combo of uncharted/assassin's creed so its far from anything groundbreaking, that being said I do think it looks good - actually if I really wanted to hurt someones feelings I would say "cough * Shalymalan's Happening * cough"

I would say more than tomb raider with star wars paint, Mass Effect is basically Elder Scrolls in space; although I will give the man Witcher 2, all I have seen of that game is nothing but praise worthy( hell if they got Yoshitaka Amano to do the character design, it would fit right in place in JRPG, and maybe the FF franchise could be salavaged after the atrocities known as 13 and 13-2)
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
and maybe the FF franchise could be salavaged after the atrocities known as 13 and 13-2

"Atrocity? That's a great word! I might have saved it for racism, or The Holocaust, but hey!" - Penny Arcade

Not to mention both games were great. Sorry if you didn't like them, a lot of people did though. Nice to see you take a mature approach at voicing your dislike of them, though.

I don't see how Mass Effect is anything like Elder Scrolls, though.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I think about J-RPG criticism this way: they're not all Final Fantasy, which admittedly has gone to crap ever since most of Square's talent went elsewhere. Square in general has just become a joke.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Aynslesa wrote:
Word has it that XIII Versus' delayed are directly tied into what Agni's Philosophy is demonstrating - the graphics potential of their new Luminous system. Square-Enix decided awhile back to not use Crystal Tools (XIII and XIII-2's engine, as well as the engine for the first version of FFXIV) for Versus, and have been working with the new graphics engine on it. Other than that, very hush hush... which is rather unsurprising given the fiasco with FFXIV's initial release and the mixed reception of XIII-2.

Oh well. At least it isn't connected to a main game in the franchise this time.... (::glares at Before Crisis:Smile

So in short, another couple of years worth of delays. Eh, what else is new? My JRPG satisfier meter is in no rush though. I've got plenty to still finish (just added Atelier Totori to my library), and Record of Agarest War 2 is coming out soon too.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
FPS have not changed other than graphically since the first one, either doom or wolfstein, and are constantly lauded with every release

You're actually quite wrong here. You also forget that Doom and Wolfenstien didn't even have a y axis. The genre has come a long way since Doom, and not just graphically either. There's a slew of first person games that play NOTHING like each other.

To name a few:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent (survival horror, no combat)
Team Fortress 2 (Silly hats/weapons class based)
Tribes: Ascend (Fast paced, extremely skill based)
Deus Ex (as well as it's sequels, shooters with RPG elements)
Portal (Puzzle game)
Bioshock
Painkiller (Fast paced shooter, single player)
Sanctum (First Person tower defense)
Half-Life 2
Shootmania (Arena shooter)
Planetside 2 (MMOFPS, persistent world/characters, large scale battles for up to 2000 players)
Left 4 Dead (and it's sequel)

That's just off the top of my head. There are lots of good fps games out there. What you and others are talking about is Modern Military shooters, of which there is way to many of. Keep in mind that the entire genre isn't Call of Duty, Battlefield 3 and Ghost Recon.

EDIT: I could probably list more too, this is just off the top of my head.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Nearly all of those games are still the typical aim + shoot. If people are gonna rag on JRPGs when they always have different battle systems, stories, characters etc, then people have the right to rag on FPS for always being similar too.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Nearly all of those games are still the typical aim + shoot. If people are gonna rag on JRPGs when they always have different battle systems, stories, characters etc, then people have the right to rag on FPS for always being similar too.

And all JRPGs require you to move with the analog stick(or d-pad) and hit the x button. I'm not saying they are all the same. I'm saying FPS games are not the same.
ishmael

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
animehermit wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
animehermit wrote:
It's really hard to get excited about what the Japanese developers are making when so much of the stuff that comes out is garbage.

Pretending as though games being garbage is ONLY endemic to Japan. Sturgeon's Revelation, people.

It's certainly worse in Japan, that's for sure. There was nothing at E3 from Japanese developer that looked interesting.

Watch Dogs, The Last of US and Planetside 2 all look fantastic.

GTA clones and FPS

I can see why you don't like Japanese games. They actually have variety.

Say what? Watchdogs and Last of Us are GTA clones? How exactly?

Watchdogs looks like it's seeking to break a lot of new grounds... if it delivers half its promises, it'll be a game to remember. Rolling Eyes
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
ishmael wrote:

Because reasons.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
And all JRPGs require you to move with the analog stick(or d-pad) and hit the x button. I'm not saying they are all the same. I'm saying FPS games are not the same.

Well if you ignore the items, equipment, story, characters, fighting systems, mechanics, and all those systems, sure.

Listing 'hats' as some kind of meaningful feature in TF2 though does make me laugh though. Class-based shooters existed long before TF2. TF1, for example. Bioshock is also just a poor man's System Shock.

ishmael wrote:

Open world I assume? They look like pretty generic third person shooters either way. I'd be more interested if developers released a game that isn't a shooter these days.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Well if you ignore the items, equipment, story, characters, fighting systems, mechanics, and all those systems, sure.

Listing 'hats' as some kind of meaningful feature in TF2 though does make me laugh though. Class-based shooters existed long before TF2. TF1, for example. Bioshock is also just a poor man's System Shock.

First point: I was being sarcastic and using his argument against him. All first person shooters are the same if you ignore equipment, items, story, characters, combat mechanics and character progression systems.

Second: You missed my point. I wasn't listing shooters that all were unique, I was listing games that all played differently.

I don't think Bioshock plays the same as TF2 or Amnesia.

Also Bioshock is done by the same people as System Shock 2, so i would hope they compare well.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
It's really hard to get excited about what the Japanese developers are making when so much of the stuff that comes out is garbage.

Instead of typing a proper response, I'll let this game I'm playing do it for me:

Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Instead of typing a proper response, I'll let this game I'm playing do it for me:

GVman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Was that trailer for DmC supposed to look like those "We are Anonymous, We are Legion" videos?

Anyway, it looks nothing at all like Devil May Cry. They could've very easily have made this a separate series and they wouldn't even have got half of the hate it's already received. Anyway, new Dante looks, and acts incredibly stupid, the main villain looks incredibly stupid, and the everything else looks incredibly stupid. The whole things stinks of "gritty 90s revamp".
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
Japanese developers have fallen behind, I mean how many Call of Duty games have the Japanese put out lately? I can't remember a single one.

Do the Japanese developers have problems? Yeah, but the American developers are in the exact same boat, they have just entered factory mode, and spit out games that look like each other. How many games starring shaved head men do we need. The thing is that unless you really like shooters (and I frankly think the genre hit its peak years ago) or sports games then the only games that are available are independent games that have limited budgets.

The problem is that 10 years ago you didn't need to sell 2 million+ to make a profit, you could make a game with variety and maybe sell 500,000 or even 200,000. Now unless your selling the game for 15 dollars on steam you have to make it as bland as possible to appeal to the average person. The result is that quality in mainstream games have plummeted with Robert Kotick and John Riccitiello becoming the leaders of the industry.

This has shown with E3 going from one of the most exciting events of the year (Christmas in the summer) to watching children give ieach other fist bumps while playing with a baby tiger named Skittles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6