• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Lollipop Chainsaw

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Early in the review,the reviewer of this game said that it reminded him a little of "Buffy,the Vampire Slayer." I wouldn't be surprised is that that was the effect the game makers were going for.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
daveriley wrote:
Basically: if you don't want to participate in a grown-up conversation, then don't. If all you want to do is come in here and wave your arms and say "shut up shut up shut up shut up!" why should I give a fudge about what you have to say?

Funny how that summarizes your own wall of text pretty nicely. Laughing

Complaining that there aren't any good female characters that represent you in gaming falls into the same category of complaining about toys as the "DON'T TAKE MEH BEWBS AWAY" caricature that you've slammed me with. It's not a political issue, it's not an issue of sexism, it's that companies aren't providing you with the content you want. There are ways to go about addressing that rather than screaming "Sexist!" in all caps. I'm actually all for having good female protagonists in gaming, but your attitude really sucks. So does the attitude of many people with similar complaints, unfortunately.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
It's not a political issue, it's not an issue of sexism, it's that companies aren't providing you with the content you want.

If it's not an issue of sexism and politics, why are none of the complaints in this thread about how the combat system really is fine and that having the combos delayed until later in the game is balanced out by the fact that it really wants to emphasize the score attack mode? Or bringing up that the reviewer didn't really mention the loading times which can kind of be awkward especially on the PS3 version, with no hard install option?

Nope, it seems like all of the complaints are expressly about the sexism and politics. There has been little discussion of the game as, well, a game, and I'm not entirely convinced that anyone has actually played it aside from Dave and one of the first commenters on this thread.

It's just the usual refrain of "there's nothing sexist ever". Despite the fact that I was actually quite curious to see whether Suda 51 and James Gunn had managed to satirize this attitude or just exploit it. I was saddened to hear it was the latter. However, I was still allowed to buy the game, and I will form my own opinion. It's funny how that's still an option available to me, and to anyone.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
ABCBTom wrote:
If it's not an issue of sexism and politics, why are none of the complaints in this thread about how the combat system really is fine and that having the combos delayed until later in the game is balanced out by the fact that it really wants to emphasize the score attack mode? Or bringing up that the reviewer didn't really mention the loading times which can kind of be awkward especially on the PS3 version, with no hard install option?

Nope, it seems like all of the complaints are expressly about the sexism and politics. There has been little discussion of the game as, well, a game, and I'm not entirely convinced that anyone has actually played it aside from Dave and one of the first commenters on this thread.

Because we're arguing about the review, not the actual game, obviously. Rolling Eyes

That's what happens whenever you bring politics into anything: you get a clusterf*** of angry people arguing and disagreeing. That's why many people consider it inappropriate to discuss politics and religion in certain situations.

It's unfortunate, since the game still seems pretty fun aside from all the controversy, as well as the reviewer's criticisms of the gameplay. So, have you played it? What do you think of it aside from whatever "gender issues" it may have? I do plan on picking it up later on (probably in a few weeks), when I'll have more gaming time.

Last edited by JuicyB on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
V1046-R

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
You know, the more people keep caring about scores the worse gaming gets.

You'd think after it became common knowledge publishers pay off and influence a site's score people wouldn't bother with them. Apparently not. Little kids need that score to feel validated with their parent's purchase for them.

So true...it can be pretty comical to see gamer geeks rant about a score to a game they already own. I guess they get butthurt when the rest of the world doesn't validate their taste.

And I think reviews in general are overplayed these days as far as relevency to purchasing games. Anybody who has played games generally knows what they like, and already know what they are going to buy before it even comes out. And everybody with a blog is a game reviewer these days.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
It's unfortunate, since the game still seems pretty fun aside from all the controversy, as well as the reviewer's criticisms of the gameplay. So, have you played it? What do you think of it aside from whatever "gender issues" it may have? I do plan on picking it up later on (probably in a few weeks), when I'll have more gaming time.

Why would you want any other opinion? You already have your own, and we've all seen how to react when it's challenged. I'd hate to give my opinion and have it "replace" yours, or for you to tell me your opinion, and have it replace mine. After all, there can only be one opinion on any given game.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, can you agree to disagree on the topic of whether the review should have covered that controversial aspect?

Both sides have made their arguments, and for the most part have done so reasonably. You seem to understand each other, but can not agree with each-other's point of view.

There really is no point in continuing that particular discussion.

If you feel you must continue the discussion, bring it up in the ANN Feedback forum (although I see no point in doing so). This isn't really the place for the discussion anymore since it has strayed from discussion about Lollipop Chainsaw and this review in particular to discussion about what content is appropriate for a review (and worse, a lot of ad-hominem attacks about the manner in which others try to make their points).

Moderators: please delete any further comments that are not related to Lollipop Chainsaw and this review.

-t
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Lollipop Chainsaw reminds us of Duke Nukem in this regard, so it's only fair to point stuff out. Laughing
Dreg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
nm, got the memo.

I don't know, it takes a lot for me to pay attention to any kind of zombie-killing game. The original character might be appealing apart from the less palatable trappings of the game. If they make this into a franchise, maybe they should just have Juliet fight a different monster in each installment, and freshen up the gameplay, story, and dialogue next time.
daveriley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
She mentions that she is an all-purpose hunter, including Sasquatches, in one of the game's actually funny bits.

The script is decent, and has a few good moments, but my biggest disappointment with it is that it came from James Gunn and Slither is really a great and funny movie. But then, that dude also wrote the script for the Dawn of the Dead remake, and wasn't nothin' special about that (except for zombie babies).
Raneth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like the biggest weakness this game had was the combat, and other review sites have backed that up.

Considering the combat is what makes this a game, I don't think I'll picking it up. The presentation it has gives it a million negative points for me. If the combat was good I would overlook it-but it doesn't sound worth it in this case. I haven't found an action game with combat that actually makes me want to play the game despite sleaziness since Bayonetta.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I like it. Typical suda51 game. But I have not purchased a suda51 game at full price. I rented it and loved it. I'll but it when it drops in price.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Lets all just play jacks. Or marbles. Transparent marbles, with moe characters inside them.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, isn't the point of this game to be intentionally crass and over-the-top? I mean, the whole point of the game is the sheer absurdity of the the idea (plus I've heard good things about the combat).
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
[The support is appreciated, but this post still falls afoul of the rules I put in place above. Have to be fair and apply the rules regardless of whether the post agrees or disagrees with us. -t]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6