Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Is That A Kiba In Your Pocket...


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
manafairy



Joined: 04 Oct 2003
Posts: 113
Location: My own tweaked world....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Two CLAMP titles in the Buy It section?! Why, I believe this is a first


Actually, in the very first RTO, both Tokyo Babylon and XXXHolic were in the buy it section, so this is actually a second....J-just saying Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Oh yeah, another good column. This is the only review blog on this site that I actually enjoy and can, more or less, agree with. As per usual, I'll be looking forward to the next column^_^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
lianncoop
ANN Columnist


Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 1706
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
You know what's sad? Is that I actually skimmed all of the columns to see if 2 CLAMP titles had shown up in the buy it section before. Obviously I am blind. ^_^;
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Goshin



Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Posts: 288
Location: Illinois

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I loved the column this week. Its' superbly written and has a nice variety of titles. I've been a loyal reader from the get-go and RTO just seems to get better and better each time. Nice work on the column.

However,(yes, I'm done brown-nosing) I find it disappointing that Wolf's Rain(manga) isn't all that great compared to the anime. So, forgive my lack of manga knowledge, but I beg to ask a common question, - which is quite similar to 'What came first the Chicken or the Egg?' - was the anime spawned from the manga or the other way around?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf



Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 4621
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Goshin wrote:
However,(yes, I'm done brown-nosing) I find it disappointing that Wolf's Rain(manga) isn't all that great compared to the anime. So, forgive my lack of manga knowledge, but I beg to ask a common question, - which is quite similar to 'What came first the Chicken or the Egg?' - was the anime spawned from the manga or the other way around?


The Wolf's Rain manga started around spring of last year, after the anime. It's one of those manga based off anime, and like most of those, it isn't really good, and extremly short. It was however, somewhat overseen by BONES if that's any bonus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zakuro1208



Joined: 12 Apr 2004
Posts: 41
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Wolf's Rain Manga wasn't great? Well, I can't say I wasn't half expecting this, but it is still kind of depressing. Sad What's even more depressing is that people will be borrowing it from me, instead of the other way around. Darn me for being a Wolf's Rain Groupie. Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
lianncoop
ANN Columnist


Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 1706
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey, it's still good! It just would've been better had it been longer. And at least with people borrowing from you...they'll still get a chance to read it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Goshin



Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Posts: 288
Location: Illinois

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:37 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
The Wolf's Rain manga started around spring of last year, after the anime. It's one of those manga based off anime, and like most of those, it isn't really good, and extremly short. It was however, somewhat overseen by BONES if that's any bonus.
Thanks for the head's up, LGW. Truthfully though, after reading the small capsule review, again, I should've known the anime came first. But for some reason I didn't pick it up. Sometimes, I'm just too dense to notice such little things. Razz

The fact that BONES studio is overseeing the project does carry some sort of consolation. But the book seems to be mediocre at best.

Sort of reminds me of Cowboy Bebop’s transition from anime to manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
ANN Columnist


Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 1706
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Goshin wrote:
Sort of reminds me of Cowboy Bebop’s transition from anime to manga.

I'd say the Wolf's rain manga adaptation is much better than Bebop's adaptation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha



Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Posts: 2783
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I must say that I was particuarly impressed with Legal Drug. Supirior in both writing and art compared to CLAMP's other current offerings.
But I don't think I'll get Wolfs Rain. I love the show, and thats going to make me critical of the manga (like what happened with RahXephon). I'll take your advice and borrow it from someone. Viz was pretty fast with putting this one out.
Speaking of Viz, they're finally publishing Phoenix:Resurrection next month. I didn't see Monster on the list though...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
darkhunter



Joined: 13 May 2004
Posts: 2992
Location: Los Angelas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Goshin wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
The Wolf's Rain manga started around spring of last year, after the anime. It's one of those manga based off anime, and like most of those, it isn't really good, and extremly short. It was however, somewhat overseen by BONES if that's any bonus.
Thanks for the head's up, LGW. Truthfully though, after reading the small capsule review, again, I should've known the anime came first. But for some reason I didn't pick it up. Sometimes, I'm just too dense to notice such little things. Razz

The fact that BONES studio is overseeing the project does carry some sort of consolation. But the book seems to be mediocre at best.

Sort of reminds me of Cowboy Bebop’s transition from anime to manga.




Next time, just look it up on the Encyclopedia. It's faster and you wouldn't look so clueless Very Happy

Looks like XXXholic, Diabolo and Wolf's Rain for me this thanksgiving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
linlinchan



Joined: 05 Nov 2004
Posts: 286

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:39 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Goshin wrote:
Sort of reminds me of Cowboy Bebop’s transition from anime to manga.

I'd say the Wolf's rain manga adaptation is much better than Bebop's adaptation.


Bebop was one of those official doujinshi-type of adaptations (let's take our existing characters, put them in situations outside of the anime,) while Wolf's Rain was one of the typical 2-volume retelling anime manga.

Oh well, at least you didn't buy them all on import.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlegreenwolf



Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 4621
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:44 am Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
Oh well, at least you didn't buy them all on import.


Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop That was me. Though I don't regret it. The release of the Japanese version is gorgeous, and the artwork in Wolf's Rain is really nice. I'll probably eventually end up buying the English version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
linlinchan



Joined: 05 Nov 2004
Posts: 286

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:45 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
linlinchan wrote:
Oh well, at least you didn't buy them all on import.


Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop That was me. Though I don't regret it. The release of the Japanese version is gorgeous, and the artwork in Wolf's Rain is really nice. I'll probably eventually end up buying the English version.


And me, I have them both in Japanese (Bebop and Wolf's Rain)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryuko



Joined: 03 Sep 2003
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Take the first season of Power Rangers (when they were cool), make Rita a hot babe, replace the battle scenes with goofy hijinks involving playgrounds and chocolate, and you have yourself volume one of Imperfect Hero.


Have you ever seen Rita without her makeup on? She WAS hot.

Linky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
The Ramblin' Wreck



Joined: 07 Apr 2003
Posts: 924
Location: Teaching Robot Women How To Love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Ryuko wrote:
Quote:
Take the first season of Power Rangers (when they were cool), make Rita a hot babe, replace the battle scenes with goofy hijinks involving playgrounds and chocolate, and you have yourself volume one of Imperfect Hero.


Have you ever seen Rita without her makeup on? She WAS hot.

Linky


Dad gum, I'm having a hard time reconciling that face and that raspy snarl of a voice that I recall from my childhood.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group