• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Is This a Zombie? Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
The sheer fact they are still doing dubs at all is still a blessing I don't take for granted.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
They announced this a few weeks ago this is old news.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
this is old news, and as I posted on that one, I think monica rial should have done the voice of haruna, since she plays a great tsudere character, haruna reminds me of hasuki from moonphase, and monica rial did a great job with her voice
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
It'd be so awesome if Funimation could grab recordings of all the high profile actresses to do the different voices for Eu. Wendee Lee, Veronica Taylor, Laura Bailey, Lisa Ortiz, Hilary Haag, Carrie Savage, Karen Strassman, Tabitha St. Germain, oh I could go on. We'll probably only get all of the actresses in Texas (that's a pretty large stable to choose from by itself), but I can dream!

Of course, if they dub the second season, and they want to keep from reusing voices, they'll HAVE to reach out of the state.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to this. I don't think I've yet come across a Funi adaption that didn't make something that was already comedic even funnier.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

As if FUNi can afford Mark Hamill.

He's pulling himself out of the acting and moving on to directing, but he's been known to do projects for less than one would expect when he enjoys the script. It's not unheard of, but definitely low odds.

Now Chris Merloni, OTOH, had such a blast with GL: First Flight that he wants to do more animation VO. Based on his performance with that title, he'd be fun to have in an anime series (if for no other reason than to see how he'd react to it).
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
I swear that they announced the cast way earlier than yesterday.

They announced it earlier, but to EVS members only. Still, the word gets out regardless.
centerfoldsgurl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
when is the 2nd season going to be dubbed? i cant find the info anywhere!!!! Question
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
@michaeltanzer No, that would make the dub worse. It implies that stage/live action acting is intelligible with voice acting, which is not true in the slightest, coupled with the fact that most of these "celebrities" have not set foot in a recording booth. Let's hear what the great Billy West has to say

Quote:
Billy West on Celebrity voice overs

My problem is that if they were judged by the same standards we were, that we have to try and get work with, they would be pretty piss poor as voice performers.

EDIT: Delete this post , please. Embarassed

Last edited by YamadaKun on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
@michaeltanzer No, that would make the dub worse. It implies that stage/live action acting is intelligible with voice acting, which is not true in the slightest, coupled with the fact that most of these "celebrities" have not set foot in a recording booth. Let's hear what the great Billy West has to say

Quote:
Billy West on Celebrity voice overs

Quote:
My problem is that if they were judged by the same standards we were, that we have to try and get work with, they would be pretty piss poor as voice performers.

What else has he said?

Quote:
I love the group of voice actors I'm privileged to work with every day. I don't give a shit what ANYONE says -- these people are all trained actors. The best I've ever seen. I will get back to the question after this not so brief announcement. Celebrities are not superlatives in our field of expertise. If celebrities that are schnoring in on our field started out trying to do what we do and were held to the standards we started out upholding, a great many of them would've never made it. It's easy for a celebrity to audition for a character who looks and sounds just like him or her. Now the studio creates characters based upon who they had in mind for the role in the first place, like a rigged fight. There is no magic, no transformation or sonic alchemy, no voices we've never heard before and no chance for most journeymen who are voice artisans to work in animated features. The general consensus is "Why?" Kids and adults pay no mind to whether Brad Pitt, David Schwimmer or Spade or Will Smith is blessing the project with their "magic" talent. For the characters they play, it could be my brother in law or the plumber. It is what it is and it will never change. This is because the folks in question know that every other huge movie is now a CGI movie. It eliminates the need for on-camera performers including stars and celebrities. Being a star or celeb does not equal the God-given gifts of those in the real craft. I'm waiting for the professional athletes to "eminent domain" us. But in general, I enjoy and respect these folks at the work they do best.

What he has said is 100% true. If looked objectively, most celebrities would be stopped after the first few words and asked to leave. Voice actors, with experience would be a better fit. Not to mention, it would cost several thousands of dollars to hire one of these celebrities, let alone dozens. And what's with all the hubub about overusage? To be frank, I would take this anyday over noobs, who have not proven themselves and do not possess the talent to dub or do any voice over. Why don't you watch this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4chRq8aE2NY
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2