• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Provides Statement on Lawsuit with A.D. Vision

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I just hope all this nonsense ends soon for both of them.
evilkorpse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Man this horrible I just really hope none of these companies go under, I just hope to see this is settle out of court.

Last edited by evilkorpse on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
oh gee it's like watching two kids bickering over who should be player one or two in a game.

evilkorpse wrote:
Man this horrible I just really hope none of these components go under, I just hope to see this is settle out of court.

Where is stated that they will go under if the assets are not payed?? Call me a bit of conspiracy nut I think sentai/crunchy-roll are working together on a large amount of licenses "look at previous license from sentai film-works". CR might have the money to pay back some of the debt that is owed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jree78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Where is stated that they will go under if the assets are not payed?? Call me a bit of conspiracy nut I think sentai/crunchy-roll are working together on a large amount of licenses "look at previous license from sentai film-works". CR might have the money to pay back some of the debt that is owed.

That's not how it works Crunchyroll has to own part of Sentai for Funi to go after Crunchyroll, besides why would Crunchyroll bail out Sentai it's not like they have 8 million dollars lying around.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We believe these counterclaims are frivolous and will soon be dismissed. Funimation is obviously not a monopoly, has not sought a monopoly, and has never been in violation of any antitrust laws. Rather, these claims were brought in a transparent attempt to gain leverage in the case because the defendants lack any defense to Funimation's original claims.

Arrogance. It's just as easy to claim someone else to be transparent as it is to claim that you yourself are not a monopolist.
bradc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
jree78 wrote:
That's not how it works Crunchyroll has to own part of Sentai for Funi to go after Crunchyroll, besides why would Crunchyroll bail out Sentai it's not like they have 8 million dollars lying around.

And Crunchy Rolls liscenor and distibutor are Bandai Entertainment and FUNimation; they have no involvement in this. ADV was sued by FUNimation for the 8 billion dollars and fell for the bait.

Either way, ADV is beyond screwed, including its split-asset companies: Sentai Filmworks, Section 23, AEsir Holdings, Seraphim Studios, Valkyrie Media Partners who are still being run by former ADV, so much for trying to rename yourself and still being connected with the former company as before.

Last edited by bradc on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Based on the way that the other companies manage their money and license and release shows, it's like Funimation is going to be the last man standing rather than simply a monopoly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
^
Totally agree with you.

If Crunchyroll was smart they would stay the heck out of it.

And um I'm a little confused as to why you think CR is conspiring with Sentai to get shows licensed, I mean how exactly does it benefited CR get if a show is licensed anyways? Do they get some part of the money or something? Maybe Justin will cover that in one of his future articles.
jree78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Arrogance. It's just as easy to claim someone else to be transparent as it is to claim that you yourself are not a monopolist.

Lol, dude what else are they gonna say, "Oh crap we've been totally caught, we are totally screwed, wait a minute you got nothing fu!"
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
jree78 wrote:

And Crunchy Rolls liscenor and distibutor are Bandai Entertainment and FUNimation; they have no involvement in this. ADV was sued by FUNimation for the 8 billion dollars and fell for the bait.

Either way, ADV is beyond screwed, including its split-asset companies: Sentai Filmworks, Section 23, AEsir Holdings, Seraphim Studios, Valkyrie Media Partners who are still being run by former ADV, so much for trying to rename yourself and still being connected with the former company as before.

The whole anime industry isn't anywhere near $8 billion. Besides, you meant $8 million that FUNi and ADV are fighting over.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
What does Crunchyroll have to do with anything?

Quote:
We believe these counterclaims are frivolous and will soon be dismissed. Funimation is obviously not a monopoly, has not sought a monopoly, and has never been in violation of any antitrust laws. Rather, these claims were brought in a transparent attempt to gain leverage in the case because the defendants lack any defense to Funimation's original claims.

Even if Funimation wins dosn't mean anime fans have to like Funimation. I am an anime fan I don't really care who releases it, However I would prefer the animes I buy to have a dub. I hope everything gets dismissed.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Eh. Gonna need my bowl of popcorn for this one.

The definition of monopoly:
Quote:
The exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.

Funi isn't a monopolist by any means of the word. Just because they have more licenses makes them a monopolist? Give me a break.

Just hoping Sentai doesn't get hit that bad by this. I tend to think of ADV and Sentai as completely different entities in my mind despite knowing that's they are essentially one and the same. After all, they release some of the titles I actually want.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Based on the way that the other companies manage their money and license and release shows, it's like Funimation is going to be the last man standing rather than simply a monopoly.

That's how I see it, unless it's uncovered that FUNi was manipulating the system to cause other companies to fail. I doubt it though, and FUNi wasn't going around buying up smaller companies to kill competition and raise their prices due to scarcity and control. Luckily with entertainment media, a true monopoly wouldn't be able to exercise control like rail, steel, and oil companies could.

I also hope this doesn't hurt Sentai too bad, as they're the only other company that matches FUNi's large scale licensing of new titles. Sure you've got your Aniplexes, NISAs, Rightstufs, Discoteks, and so forth, but those combined don't really compete on the same level.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
^
Totally agree with you.

If Crunchyroll was smart they would stay the heck out of it.

And um I'm a little confused as to why you think CR is conspiring with Sentai to get shows licensed, I mean how exactly does it benefited CR get if a show is licensed anyways? Do they get some part of the money or something? Maybe Justin will cover that in one of his future articles.

that's why it's called a conspiracy or just even a hunch a large amount of the library that sentai has licensed is on crunchy-roll. My only thought is since that cr is a stream only site working together with a dvd/bluray publisher to sell physical copies of some series they get isn't a bad idea. A x show is watched and is popular on cr, sentai sells the dvd's/blurays it's the same a cable network working with any other dvd/bluray publisher. Again this is all just speculation bs on my end, hell If I know i just thinking about it lawl.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
larinon wrote:

That's how I see it, unless it's uncovered that FUNi was manipulating the system to cause other companies to fail. I doubt it though, and FUNi wasn't going around buying up smaller companies to kill competition and raise their prices due to scarcity and control. Luckily with entertainment media, a true monopoly wouldn't be able to exercise control like rail, steel, and oil companies could.

I also hope this doesn't hurt Sentai too bad, as they're the only other company that matches FUNi's large scale licensing of new titles. Sure you've got your Aniplexes, NISAs, Rightstufs, Discoteks, and so forth, but those combined don't really compete on the same level.
It will not affect Sentai in any way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5