Forum - View topic
About Yugioh Duel Monsters




Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jomy



Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 75

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
So what exactly happened to this page?

anime#5074

Why does the series not have its proper (and original) title, Yugioh Duel Monsters, and why is it listed as a remake of the series properly titled Yugioh (which it isn't)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dessa
Baka RangerBaka Ranger


Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 2400

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Shows with US releases are always listed with their US title as the primary title, and in the US the show was called just "Yu-Gi-Oh!".

There was an earlier adaptation of the manga, with the same title. Since they ended that one, and redid it as the second series, it's rightfully called a remake.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
jomy



Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 75

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't even cover the same arcs though. As far as the title goes though, it was better as Yugioh Duel Monsters than Yugioh 2. I mean yes, you want to use the US title, but when the US title just makes the name under which you've placed the series sound kinda ridiculous, is it really worth it? Yugioh Duel Monsters was a more meaningful title.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 9542
Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
jomy wrote:
It doesn't even cover the same arcs though. As far as the title goes though, it was better as Yugioh Duel Monsters than Yugioh 2. I mean yes, you want to use the US title, but when the US title just makes the name under which you've placed the series sound kinda ridiculous, is it really worth it? Yugioh Duel Monsters was a more meaningful title.

Go ask 4Kids why they chose to ignore the existence of the first anime adaptation.

Or how Shonan Junai-gumi has "GTO" in the title, despite of Onizuka was just a delinquent back then, far from becoming a teacher.

Or how Peach Girl has a "second series."

"is it really worth it?"
Yes, and it's not for you to decide. Get over it and move on, please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jomy



Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
jomy wrote:
It doesn't even cover the same arcs though. As far as the title goes though, it was better as Yugioh Duel Monsters than Yugioh 2. I mean yes, you want to use the US title, but when the US title just makes the name under which you've placed the series sound kinda ridiculous, is it really worth it? Yugioh Duel Monsters was a more meaningful title.

Go ask 4Kids why they chose to ignore the existence of the first anime adaptation.

Or how Shonan Junai-gumi has "GTO" in the title, despite of Onizuka was just a delinquent back then, far from becoming a teacher.

Or how Peach Girl has a "second series."

"is it really worth it?"
Yes, and it's not for you to decide. Get over it and move on, please.


The reason why is pretty obvious: shorter and more catchy title. But then again, this is why your "American titles" policy needs to be more flexible. Ie use the American title as the main title where it makes sense, but otherwise leave it as a secondary title.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 9542
Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:16 am Reply with quote
jomy wrote:
But then again, this is why your "American titles" policy needs to be more flexible. Ie use the American title as the main title where it makes sense, but otherwise leave it as a secondary title.

Let me put it straight: You are not in the position to decide "where it makes sense" or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group