• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
CloudFlare blocked my IP address saying my PC has a virus?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
But when I run a scan with McAfee it finds nothing, but a clean PC. so I try to call up ANN again and now it lets me on. What's that all about?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
What exactly does the message say (and if it redirecting you somewhere other than ANN, what is the web address)?
Do you have a shared or dynamic IP address?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
What exactly does the message say (and if it redirecting you somewhere other than ANN, what is the web address)?
Do you have a shared or dynamic IP address?
It was CloudFlare's web address I got redirected to. It told me that "our servers have detected that your IP address could be infected with a virus that allows superfluous e-mails and spam. Please run your security program and scan for infection." which I did and found nothing. Today I've had no problem getting on to ANN. Very Strange. Confused
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
It reminds me of something the ISP I used to work for ran for the Blaster worm and some other wide spread virii where they would trap users in a "walled garden" until they downloaded and ran a removal tool.
It does say "could" be infected bu how Cloudflare would even be detecting you have a virus in the first place I have no idea, since it's not like they have access to all your traffic like an ISP would, unless they are looking for the type of virus that spreads by infecting vulnerable webservers where the payload would be included along with all the other web traffic through the proxy.
Don't know if it is relevant, but Google had been reporting that http://www.anime-on-line.com/ was infected with Malware (which they say has now been resolved).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Checking a website is fairly easy - you just have to pretend you're visiting and any malware will try to bite you.

As for how Cloudflare could suspect Mohawk, I'm guessing it revolves around suspicious traffic or cataloging spam reports that are found to originate from that IP address.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1