• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fathers in Anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Man, the majority of all Fathers in anime are really something to think about.

The worse father who comes to mind is of course, Charles zi Britannia from Code Geass and really, regardless of the justifications of what he is planning with the Ragnarok Connection doesn't justify his actions for what horrible traumatic events that Lelouch and Nunnally has gone through because of it.

As for the best father, now that is a tough one but I think Soichiro Yagami from Death Note and Ranka from Ouran High School Host Club are the best closest examples of good fathers in anime that I could think of.[/spoiler]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
I'll mention Ainosuke Futaba from Futakoi Alternative, even though very few people are going to be familiar with him. He's a very flawed father, who separated from his wife, leaving his son without a mother, and then died, causing his son to drop out of college. But he also serves as a powerful motivator for his son, both as an idol and a person whose mistakes his son could learn from. He's probably one of the most interesting fathers I've seen who spends the entire series dead.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I always had a kind of soft spot for Miyazawa Hiroyuki, who is Yukino's dad in His and Her Circumstances.

Yukino is of course totally mortified when her parents are called in for a parent-teacher conference, and her folks are not above teasing her about it the night before ("should we bring weapons?" Very Happy ) but when it comes down to it they back her right down the line. They have a happy family that really enjoys playing card games together and nurtures the three girls.

Of course Daikichi from Usagi Drop -- no question. I could write megabytes but will refrain.

Quirky but good is Haruhi's father from Ouran Host Club, already mentioned.

I only wanted to come up with positive cases it being Fathers day and all. It is interesting that out of the several hundred anime I have seen I can only think of a few positive examples but many negative ones. That's something I never considered before. There are, of course, many older male "masters" to point to that are laudable but they are rarely related to the protagonist.

Is it the case that Japanese don't relate well to father figures?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
It's probably more the case that characters with good fathers make poor characters to center anime around.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Does America not relate well to mother figures since Disney always kills them off? Laughing
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe because father/children conflicts are the one of the oldest motifs in the culture? While mother was universally associated with love and care, father as a family power holder was an obstacle on the path to independence.
Besides family conflicts are more interesting than calm people loving each other.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I've always like Sakura's father in Cardcaptor Sakura. He was very nice, loving, understanding, and supportive as a father should be. I like that he still loves their mother so much as well.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I always had a kind of soft spot for Miyazawa Hiroyuki, who is Yukino's dad in His and Her Circumstances.

Yukino is of course totally mortified when her parents are called in for a parent-teacher conference, and her folks are not above teasing her about it the night before ("should we bring weapons?" Very Happy ) but when it comes down to it they back her right down the line. They have a happy family that really enjoys playing card games together and nurtures the three girls.
Definitely! Rare is the parent that will trust their kid when their grades have dropped and they've gotten called to the principal's office. I love how Yukino's father knows she wouldn't do anything to jeopardize her future and decides to let her handle the situation.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Of course Daikichi from Usagi Drop -- no question. I could write megabytes but will refrain.
I can't think of a single father better than Daikichi of Usagi Drop right now. He truly cares about her. The grandmother comes around eventually and likes Rin, but even then she has a "I know what's best" attitude that can be seen when discussing Rin's last name. Daikichi not only loves her, he cares about what she wants and does his best to make her happy.

A father I haven't seen mentioned yet is Balsa's father from Moribito. He doesn't play a large role in the series, but Balsa spoiler[wouldn't have survived if not for his sacrifice.] On the note of Moribito, I'll add Jiguro as a best father-figure. He gave up everything spoiler[to save Balsa's life. His status, family, money, even killing his friends that were sent to hunt him down.] He taught her to fight, ensuring that she could always take care of herself.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually watching Kare Kano/His and Her Circumstances right now and his father is so funny, especially being overprotective of her daughter "getting a man". Mm, going to finish this series now to see what sort of role he may play later on.

Hmm from the top of my head right now, I can think of the obvious example of Usagi Drop but also some other ones like...

The classic Yugioh between the estranged relationship between Seto Kaiba and his stepfather and all that stuff he had to go through. In fact, there was an entire filler arc that was focused on such a topic.

Also, Lelouch's father Charles zi Britannia from Code Geasss and the complicated relationship he has with him related to Social Darwinism.

Cardcaptor Sakura's Sakura and her father's relationship is also one of the themes in the story and there was even an episode [spoiler](episode 22: No Time for Sleep) from what I could remember spoiler[involving the sleep card at the university from where he worked at where Sakura not only tried to capture the card but strives to save his father's hard work.]

Others I can think of might be Eureka Seven where family is one of the main themes. Also, Naruto had themes of fathers playing significant roles in the story prior to the beginning of the arcs involving both Naruto Uzumaki and Gaara. (later on, the story is explored a bit more in the manga)

Another immediate example just popped in my head is also Blue Exorcist especially in the beginning two episodes where Rin learns about the revelations of his identity the world of the supernatural. And of course, Rin's father being the brave man that he is, has been, and always will be told the words through his actions. Incredible dad tbh.

Sankarea returns next week to its weekly schedule and I can't wait to see the spoiler[imminent fencing match between Rea's father and Chihiro to settle the score once and for all Cool]

Last edited by Stark700 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I want to put a counter view about Usagi Drop. Without wishing to diminish the loving and generous behaviour of Daikichi, he is not her father, something the anime goes to some pains to make clear. And I don't just mean he isn't in a biological sense. Both Rin and Daikichi have a clear understanding that their relationship is altogether different. This remarkable conversation between the two makes this clear.

Daikichi: Mm… You know… I’m not your father…

Rin: Mmm

Daikichi: But I’m not your big brother either, right?

Rin: (Laughs.) Nobody thinks that!

Daikichi: I’m just giving a for instance! The question is, what am I then?

Rin: Daikichi!

Daikichi: That’s my name… Listen, and this is only if you aren’t against it… What I’m trying to say… How can I put it…? Uh… What do you… Rin… Rin, what would you think… about me becoming your real father?

Rin: Daikichi, you… become my father?

Daikichi: So, say we did that, your name would become Kawachi Rin…

Rin: Kawachi… Rin.

(Pause.)

No.

Daikichi: No…? Don’t you think it’d be better if you had a father?

Rin: My father is Grandpa. My name is Kaga Rin and I like it. It’s the same name as Grandpa. That’s important.

Daikichi: I see…

Rin: Daikichi should just stay Daikichi.

To say that Daikichi is Rin's father is to deny Rin's agency within the relationship, misses the radical political arguments being made by Yumi Unita (that traditional social structures and biological ties aren't essential - or a hindrance, for that matter - in successful relationships), and may distract people when their relationship develops later.

(I'm hoping this doesn't derail the thread. Confused I will post an example of a good father later today.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I want to put a counter view about Usagi Drop. Without wishing to diminish the loving and generous behaviour of Daikichi, he is not her father, something the anime goes to some pains to make clear.

But he is her father-figure, which Key said we can also talk about. Even if Rin wants to keep her family name and doesn't consider Daikichi as her father, he is still a father-figure to her; raising her, teaching her, comforting her, nurturing her, protecting her, and loving her.

Heck, Daikichi is not Kouki's biological father either, but he's a positive male role-model and paternal influence on the boy.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
How about Joh-on from Beast Player Erin? He becomes Erin's foster father after she spoiler[loses both her mother and her home. He finds her barely alive and nurses her back to health.] He raises her for several years and helps nurture her interest in animal breeding. And though it was hard on him to let her go to the Ohju breeding school, he encourages her to follow her dreams and contacts the school to request that she be given a chance to prove herself. Their relationship was one of the most heartwarming of the series.

Another good father is Shuurei's dad, Shoka, from Story of Saiunkoku. He cares deeply for his daughter and is a constant supportive presence in her life.

Another good one is Asumi's dad from Twin Spica. He works a harsh, back-breaking job to support the two of them, and though money is tight he still encourages her to follow her dreams and go off to an astronaut training school. Mr. Lion may also be considered a bit of a father figure, though his relationship with Asumi is a bit more ambiguous.

There's also Asato Azuma from With the Light. He started off as a bad parent because his job was stressful and he didn't know how to handle Hikaru's autism, and so he just left all of the parenting to his wife and was mostly unsympathetic to her and Hikaru's plight. Eventually, he gets his priorities worked out and is determined to become the best father he could be to Hikaru and works hard to make Hikaru's life better by making others aware of autism and working to make things easier for disabled people in the workforce.

I also agree 100% with Yukino's dad from His and Her Circumstances and Daikichi from Usagi Drop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Akio from Clannad and Clannad: After Story is one of the Bad Ones, although his wife is equally to blame. I don't hold it against him that he spoiler[left his sick daughter all alone when she was young, because at least he felt bad about that for years.] No, what got me was two decisions he made. Along with his wife Sane, he refuses to help spoiler[Nagisa before her big performance at the end of Clannad. He knew that she was troubled, but he only helps her after she makes a fool of herself in front of hundreds of people.] But that is nothing compared to what he did in the second series. spoiler[Nagisa is dead and Tomoya falls into depression. Akio and Sanae raise Ushio away from her father and cause him to miss the first five years of his daughter's life. Let's not forget that Ushio doesn't have her father for those five years either. Akio and Sanae let Tomoya stew in the depths of his depression (which included him gambling and taking up smoking) for those five years.] For a series that is ostensibly about the importance and power of family and friends, that level of hypocrisy is beyond the pale. Right when Tomoya needed help the most they abandoned him.

Wow, this one just floored me. If you're this harsh on Akio, then what do you think of Tomoya's actual father, then?

As Rebuttal angle #1, I'll point out that Sanae is, at the least, equally culpable in all of the points that you mention - but that, of course, only matters if one accepts that your basic argument that Akio is overall a bad father. I notice that you're conveniently not mentioning all of the good that he and Sanae did, too. spoiler[Yes, Akio and Sanae did leave Nagisa on her own, while sick, as a little girl, and they spent the next dozen years regretting that and trying to make up for it. A bad parent wouldn't do that. Akio even sacrificed his dreams and changed his lifestyle radically so that he would always be there for Nagisa in the future.] A bad parent wouldn't do that, either.

I'm less certain that you have a valid complaint about the second incident you mention, but again, even if I accept that as a sign of bad parenting her does what he can to make up for it. Throughout the second series he's generally quite supportive of his daughter's relationship with Nagisa and acts, in his own way, to make sure that Tomoya is taking things suitably seriously when he spoiler[wants to marry Nagisa]. And as for the last incident you mention? I think you're entirely off base there and missing and/or ignoring some important details. spoiler[Akio and Sanae didn't take Ushio away and raise her seperately to deny Tomoya; they did it because he was in such a funk that he couldn't. Tomoya was also (I thought) clearly shown as being unable to accept Ushio at first because she reminded him much too much of Nagisa. Perhaps the series didn't make this quite as clear as the movie version did, but Akio and Sanae did try to reach out to Tomoya, but he wasn't receptive. Admittedly the action they took to force Tomoya's hand was risky, but necessary]

In other words, I saw Akio as making some mistakes but trying his best to correct and compensate for them. On the balance, he did right by Nagisa, so I would argue that became one of the good ones.

For other examples, as a somewhat more obscure option I point to Miyuki Sakura's father (don't know that he's actually ever named) in Mahoromatic. He seems to have a pretty good handle on his horde of daughters and even looks out for Suguru, too, as the son he doesn't have.

For further bad examples? just choose most any father from Shigofumi. I used one from that series as Bastard of the Year a couple of years back, and the series had at least one other strong runner-up candidate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
The worse father who comes to mind is of course, Charles zi Britannia from Code Geass and really, regardless of the justifications of what he is planning with the Ragnarok Connection doesn't justify his actions for what horrible traumatic events that Lelouch and Nunnally has gone through because of it.

However, Charles at least cares for Lelouch and Nunnally spoiler[which is why he exiled them to Japan, where they would be safe from his immortal Code bearing brother V.V., who had just murdered Charles' wife out of jealousy.]

Gendo Ikari in my opinion is one notch worst than Charles since Gendo is willing to spoiler[sacrifice his son's life in order to initiate the Third Impact just so he could be with his wife once more].

Charles on the other hand, spoiler[who had a similar plan (the Ragnarok Connection) is willing to sacrifice Lelouch and Nunnally to attain his goal because the consciousness' of the living and dead will be united as one. If his children die, in Charles' mind that's not bad for now since he will be reunited with them when they are all one.]

Basically what I'm saying is that Charles seems to want his children to share his happiness in the end while Gendo in the end only cares about his happiness and not that of Shinji's.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Key, there's multiple things wrong with your post. I know you are a big fan of Sanae and Akio but that doesn't excuse your behaviour. I clearly made some points and then you accuse me of not making them. It would be stretching to call it a mere mistake on your part. So yeah, I'm kind of offended that you ould resort to that sort of behaviour.

Key wrote:
Wow, this one just floored me. If you're this harsh on Akio, then what do you think of Tomoya's actual father, then?

This is not about him, because at least he wasn't a focal point for the show's hypocrisy. Although, I will bring him up later on . . .

Key wrote:
As Rebuttal angle #1, I'll point out that Sanae is, at the least, equally culpable in all of the points that you mention...

I already said that she was equally to blame. You come across as cherry-picking my post.

Key wrote:
...I notice that you're conveniently not mentioning all of the good that he and Sanae did, too. spoiler[Yes, Akio and Sanae did leave Nagisa on her own, while sick, as a little girl, and they spent the next dozen years regretting that and trying to make up for it.]

Did I not already say that I didn't hold it against him for spoiler[spending years feeling sorry for that incident?] Did I not already say that? I didn't mention everything, no, but I didn't conveniently ignore anything.

Key wrote:
A bad parent wouldn't do that.

So a bad parent wouldn't spoiler[regret hurting their child for years after the fact? Then what about Tomoya's father?] Did he not regret what he did? Did he not regret failing his son? Did he not try and do his best for the boy despite his own personal flaws? I'm not defending him, but if you are going to give Akio a pass because he regreted what he did then shouldn't the same apply to spoiler[Tomoya's dad?] The reverse also applies; if you are going to criticise one man then shouldn't you criticise the other man too?

Key wrote:
I'm less certain that you have a valid complaint about the second incident you mention, but again, even if I accept that as a sign of bad parenting her does what he can to make up for it. Throughout the second series he's generally quite supportive of his daughter's relationship with Nagisa and acts, in his own way, to make sure that Tomoya is taking things suitably seriously when he spoiler[wants to marry Nagisa].

I fail to see how this applies to the second incident. We are talking about the end of the first season, right, and the mean act of spoiler[not helping Nagisa out until she had embarrassed herself in front of a large audience?] So where does the second season (After Story) come into the second incident?

Key wrote:
And as for the last incident you mention? I think you're entirely off base there and missing and/or ignoring some important details. spoiler[Akio and Sanae didn't take Ushio away and raise her seperately to deny Tomoya; they did it because he was in such a funk that he couldn't. Tomoya was also (I thought) clearly shown as being unable to accept Ushio at first because she reminded him much too much of Nagisa. Perhaps the series didn't make this quite as clear as the movie version did, but Akio and Sanae did try to reach out to Tomoya, but he wasn't receptive. Admittedly the action they took to force Tomoya's hand was risky, but necessary]

If he's in such a funk - and it was a lot worse than that - then wouldn't that be the time to give him the support he needs? Even if he doesn't want anything to do with the Furukawas, he needed them to be there for him. And they weren't. As for Ushio, Tomoya may have wanted nothing to do with her but that was the depression talking. Depriving a father of spoiler[the first five years of his daughter's life and a daughter of the first five years of her life without her biological father] is just plain wrong. The Furukawas put it into the too-hard basket to look after Tomoya so they barely tried.

And it doesn't matter what the movie said, I'm not talking about the movie (which I haven't seen) but the series.

You know, Tomoya was always there for people. spoiler[Remember how he skipped school for a week and spent the week digging up weeds in Kotomi's yard because he wanted her to open up to him? Remember how he tried so hard to help Fuko out? Remember how he was the one who reached out to Nagisa and helped her get the drama club back in operation? And what did he get in return? The one time he needed his friends and adopted family they weren't there for him.] It disgusts me, because it runs completely contrary to the show's supposed themes of family being there for one another; so much for the dango dango song. But I guess that getting him help would have been too boring. Instead, the Furukawas spoiler[trick him into looking after Ushio and he leaves her alone in a field for several hours to take a walk. Not the way to do it you morons.]

Key wrote:
In other words, I saw Akio as making some mistakes but trying his best to correct and compensate for them. On the balance, he did right by Nagisa, so I would argue that became one of the good ones.

They sure didn't do right by spoiler[Nagisa's husband and daughter when Nagisa was dead.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5