• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fathers in Anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
Myrtle wrote:
For me, Fujitaka Kinomoto, father of Sakura in Cardcaptor Sakura. He is a college professor and he is very caring and gentle father. He is a busy person, but still he supports Sakura and Touya whenever he has a chance. He is very kind person, and he gives lots of freedom and independence to them but he is still supportive when they need him. He is the only father I like on the anime!

I'll add that he's calm, understanding and always finds something positive in any situation. Like someone mentioned earlier, the episode with the Sleep card ("Sakura and Her Kind Father") really shows what a good parent he is.

As far as bad dads go I have to mention Gosick's Albert du Blois, who spoiler[concieves his daughter by sexual assault and keeps her locked away for years with little to no human contact so he can use her in a disturbing cult plan and gain political power. I cheered when he died.]
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
My favorite anime fathers....I have to give it to FMA. Hughes for being the most loving and affectionate father and Hohenheim for being the most sympathetic father. Please watch Brotherhood/ read the manga for more details.

Can't believe I forgot Hughes. Even moreso, can't believe I forgot FMA's prime candidate for Worst Dad Ever - the repulsive Shou Tucker, who spoiler[uses his trusting little daughter in horrific experiments which lead to her mercy-killing.] Can't get much worse than that.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Even moreso, can't believe I forgot FMA's prime candidate for Worst Dad Ever - the repulsive Shou Tucker, who spoiler[uses his trusting little daughter in horrific experiments which lead to her mercy-killing.] Can't get much worse than that.
I must concur. Shou Tucker for #1 worst father ever. Not to mention, even before spoiler[he uses alchemy to irreversibly transform her, he performs experiments on his wife, forcing her to go without a mother before he turns on her.] Completely unforgivable.

Another father I'm throwing the book at is Goku from Dragonball Z. He's definitely not one of the worst, in part because his intentions are good and because of the mitigating circumstances of saving the world, but he still wasn't a good father. The most incontrovertible of his offenses is spoiler[refusing to be revived and leaving Chichi to raise Goten alone].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
How could I forget Shou Tucker, the term monster father seems all too fitting.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Shou Tucker is also a really awful dog owner. If there was a PETA in Amestris, they'd have his @**! (*cough*What?) Laughing

I'm going to throw a "good dad" mention to Natsuki's father, Tamotsu Usami, in tsuritama. I think Natsuke's acting like a normal, confused teenager in a difficult life situation. It wouldn't be easy for any parent to handle, but Tamotsu takes a hands off approach that really works. He's not trying to force Natsuki to "behave," or spend quality time with Dad's new girlfriend (fiance?), or even to accept the situation. He's willing to stand back, act supportive, and be there for Natsuki if/when ever he comes to terms with a new family structure. Neither of them are perfect, but you can tell that their relationship can withstand the strain of hard changes.

[/slightly off topic: Yes, Soichiro Yagami in Death Note was a fine dad, but that only reminds me that Light Yagami was the worst son EVER! ]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Even moreso, can't believe I forgot FMA's prime candidate for Worst Dad Ever - the repulsive Shou Tucker
Quote:
I must concur. Shou Tucker for #1 worst father ever.

Oh GAWD. Shou Tucker makes Gendo Ikari and the other "evil" dads out there look like......father of the year o______O

Hard to believe that guy is human and not possessed by the devil.

Speaking of which, even the king of the Underworld, Laharl's father was a hundred times better a dad than TUCKER!

Quote:
Don't know how forgot this one, what about Henry Marker from Karin.

Believe it or not, Henry DID occur to me! He is a good dad. *nods*^^
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Kelly wrote:
Even moreso, can't believe I forgot FMA's prime candidate for Worst Dad Ever - the repulsive Shou Tucker, who spoiler[uses his trusting little daughter in horrific experiments which lead to her mercy-killing.] Can't get much worse than that.

He's a bad one, but worst ever? Please. Again, see Shigofumi for some stiff competitors, or consider the Marquis du Blois from Gosick or Mayu's stepfather from Elfen Lied. (For that matter, just about any father or father-figure from that series.) There are plenty of fathers out there on that level of being reprehensible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote
Please forgive me if I'm mistaken, because I only quickly scanned this thread, but is it really possible it's gone this far without anyone mentioning Shinji's dad in the "bad dad" context?
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
Speaking about bad dads, we must not forget that hentai is anime as well. I'm quite sure that pretty much any dad that shows up there is a bad one - he either really likes his daughters or doesn't show any attention to his new wife.
4750G

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
Blood-: I think the previous discussion about Akio from Clannad/Clannad After Story overshadowed any mention of Gendo Ikari. I remember writing a bit about him but I didn't really delve into it. One other person wrote about him as well, I just can't remember who exactly.

Another father I'd classify as good would be Yoh's dad Mikihisa Asakura from Shaman King. I'm actually quite torn about this, but after thinking and thinking about it I finally decided that he is a good father. Yoh was trained by his grandfather Yohmei, so Mikihisa always seemed like an absentee father to me. I personally did not like how he chose to teach Ryu over Yoh but in retrospect, he might have been providing Yoh with able companions as he inevitably faced off with spoiler[his twin].

Another father I'd classify as bad would be Yukiteru's dad Kurou Amano from Mirai Nikki. While he did try to atone for his sins later on in the show, spoiler[trying to kill your son, leaving your son in a collapsing building to save yourself, and finally stabbing your ex-wife when she asks you about your son is plain sick.]
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
He's a bad one, but worst ever? Please. Again, see Shigofumi for some stiff competitors, or consider the Marquis du Blois from Gosick or Mayu's stepfather from Elfen Lied. (For that matter, just about any father or father-figure from that series.) There are plenty of fathers out there on that level of being reprehensible.
I haven't seen Gosick or Shigofumi, but Mayu's dad from Elfen Lied truly is a horrible one. What is better, spoiler[rape] or spoiler[being alchemically combined with something]? Ehhhhhhhhh both are pretty bad, but you're right I'd go with Mayu's dad for being worse. At least Tucker was a caring and responsible father spoiler[before he experimented on her.]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Please forgive me if I'm mistaken, because I only quickly scanned this thread, but is it really possible it's gone this far without anyone mentioning Shinji's dad in the "bad dad" context?

No, Gendou Ikari was mentioned a few pages back...

I dunno if Mayu's "dad" from Elfen Lied counts since he's her step-dad. He might not have done those things to her if she was his blood-related child. So I'm going with Shou Tucker as worst biological father, at least.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
The problem I have with Marquis du Blois from Gosick is simply that I think he's a horribly bad character. Yes, he's a horrible "father" but he's also such a shallowly evil character I tend to discount him.

How about a slightly comedic one.
Mouri Kogoro - Detective Conan/ Case Closed - bad dad.
He's fiercely protective of his daughter, that's good, but he's also irresponsible, a bit of a liar, could probably be diagnosed with alcohol and gambling problems, in certain episodes (usually TV original ones) he has a tendency to physically beat Conan or any other child who annoys hime and he's certainly not the best husband. From a very young age Ran actually took care of him instead of of the other.
Call protective services!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I think the thing that gets people about Shou Tucker was that spoiler[he seemed like such a nice guy, albeit one that was a little stressed from his work. But his daughter adored him and he seemed so genuinely kind and loving, and then he turns around and does that. I mean, her was a fate so horrible as to be worse than death, and indeed she - it - was mercy-killed. Tucker gave up his loving wife and daughter to further his career,] which hits harder than if he were just a bad guy with no conscience. The other bad fathers mentioned were obviously bad people, sometimes comically so. But Tucker surprised people and that made him memorable.

Changing topic now from bad to good, would Keisei Tagami from Shikabane Hime count as a father-figure or merely an older-brother-figure? I don't just mean to Ouri but to Makina as well. At any rate, and despite her perversions, he was actually a really nice guy who inspired others and always believed the best in people.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
How about a slightly comedic one.
Mouri Kogoro - Detective Conan/ Case Closed - bad dad.

. . .

Call protective services!

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2176943#2176943
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
lol, and that was a complete coincidence. I've seen so many of those anti-cliche/trope threads I've barely looked into this current one. nice video... the amazing thing is how many instances they didn't show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5