• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fathers in Anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
As far as "good" fathers are concerned, I'll follow suite with the likes of Daikichi from Usagi Drop; he took on the physically, mentally, and financially exhausting task of spoiler[being a father of a young child,] of his own volition. Id also even throw Isshin Kurosaki, from Bleach, in the mix; as silly (and violent, with poor Ichigo) as he was, he kept the facts of his past and Ichigo's heritage secret because he wanted his children to have normal, human lives. But, later, during the Aizen battle, risks his own life spoiler[challenging Aizen, and then taking he and Ichigo to the Precipice World, to train him for 3 months -- which was only an hour in their dimension]

As for "bad" fathers, Ikari Gendou and Shou Tucker, obviously, are among the worst, but a few candidates include: Kino's father from Kino's Journey; he wanted to force his daugher, Kino, spoiler[to undergo a neuro-surgeory, which occurs when children reach a certain age in their civilization, that would cause her to be content living an adult life of constant work, without the stress. But, it also possibly removed a fundamental aspect of one's personality. This was how they created uniformity and productivity in their society. When Kino objected to this operation, her father, mother, and the entire village all agreed that her social deviance was only punishable by death. And, he attempted to kill her, but only after killing the tourist, "Kino" (whose name she took after abandoning her own), who provoked this thought in the first place.]

But who am I to say that their cultural traditions were wrong?

Another addition to the list would be Baron Danglars, from Gankutsuou - The Count of Monte Cristo; he honestly did not care about anything more than money and his own satisfaction. He forced Eugénie, his daughter, to spoiler[marry a creepy misogynistic chauvinist, simply because he was extremely wealthy, and the Baron wanted to enter into the wealth. He even forbid his daughter to even meet with her childhood friend, Albert, the co-main character of the series, and who she really loved].

Those are some bad otousans.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Another bad father is Lord Genome from Gurren Lagann. He does do some redeeming things later, but that doesn't erase that spoiler[he ordered his daughter, Nia's death.] Not to mention what looked like hundreds of spoiler[his other daughters whom he killed when he got bored.]

A complicated dad is Masaki's father from Eve no Jikan. Definitely not really good.... but I understand that he was doing what he felt was best when he spoiler[forbade the robot from ever speaking to Masaki again.] Sad I've recently thought though that another reason for forbidding it could have been because he spoiler[was jealous. The relationship between his own son and himself was rocky, so when he came home and saw the robot giving Masaki advice, and saw how Masaki listened to him and trusted him, he may have felt his son was being taken from him.] At the very best, Masaki's dad is incompetent at being a father, though he was trying.
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:00 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
He's a bad one, but worst ever? Please.
There are plenty of fathers out there on that level of being reprehensible.

Yeah, usually when there's a "Most Despicable Character in All of Anime" thread, doesn't Fujinami-san from Urusei Yatsura take it by general consent most of the time?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
This was an interesting discussion,but let me throw my two cents in. Now I've seen "Dragon Ball Z" before and what I've seen is that Goku doesn't necessarily look for trouble,it finds him. And while his sons Gohan and Goten are placed in those situations,it's not always his fault. Goku comes across as a kind and caring father who cares about his boys and his sons care about him too. And they're good fighters themselves. They are loyal to him,so I think that Goku earns his place as a good father.
There's a father in the anime "Shadow Star Narutaru" who's very good with his daughter. He's separated from his wife and when she appears,she kind of a cold fish,or more to the point,cold and distant from her daughter and husband. Not exactly the type of mother who would win "Mother of the Year."

I hope these two are worthy in this discussion.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the sixth episode of Tari Tari and I was really impressed and touched with the scenes of Wakana and her father. He is a really nice guy who gently supports his daughter. Watching them made me remember this thread, and I think he thoroughly deserves to be listed here as an example of a positive Anime father.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I will say one thing in [dtm42's] defense though, I think the spoiler[4-5 year jump is absolutely the worst thing in either series. It strains credibility that it would take Tomoya that long to deal with his feelings. But its simply a writing ploy for the sole purpose of making Ushio the prime age of cuteness and old enough to talk and to be relatable.]

I must disagree with you here; I have taken a number of psychology courses and I seem to recall reading that when one spoiler[suffers the death of a loved one, then it takes on average four to seven years to fully recover.]

EDIT: Used spoiler tags to follow Spastic Minnow's example.

Last edited by nobahn on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
I didn't bump the thread just so we could go through that again. I believe I've made my position and the reasons behind it quite clear, so I'm not going to get involved again.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42--
If I have distressed you, then I humbly apologize.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
No no, you haven't. I just wanted to make it clear that I have nothing more to add on the previous argument. If other people want to talk about it amongst themselves then that's fine.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, it was a reply to me so it can't be said that it was strictly the intention.

(adding spoiler tags here, as it is one of those huge plot points that shouldn't be spoiled for those that haven't seen the show yet)
nbahn wrote:

RE: Clannad: After Story

Spastic Minnow wrote:
I will say one thing in [dtm42's] defense though, I think the spoiler[4-5 year jump is absolutely the worst thing in either series. It strains credibility that it would take Tomoya that long to deal with his feelings. But its simply a writing ploy for the sole purpose of making Ushio the prime age of cuteness and old enough to talk and to be relatable.]

I must disagree with you here;spoiler[ I have taken a number of psychology courses and I seem to recall reading that when one suffers the death of a loved one, then it takes on average four to seven years to fully recover].

That is a good point. spoiler[Still, here's a story moving along fine, all problems up to this point had been dealt with as they came along and here is a story that I felt had be a logical conclusion coming up (which in fact was the one that ended the series) but instead it chooses NOT to solve anything, and while there may be a psychological reasoning that I was unaware of, it felt it went against the tone of the show. And I do feel it was partially just to get Ushio to a cute enough age to be more manipulative. In short I think the jump is still the worst part of the series, it dragged the story out unnecessarily, cast doubts on the character of his friends and her family for apparently not helping him like he did for them to the satisfaction of viewers like dtm and ultimately creating an entire lifetime for groups of people that is effectively deleted.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
kaiser11492 wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:
The worse father who comes to mind is of course, Charles zi Britannia from Code Geass and really, regardless of the justifications of what he is planning with the Ragnarok Connection doesn't justify his actions for what horrible traumatic events that Lelouch and Nunnally has gone through because of it.

However, Charles at least cares for Lelouch and Nunnally spoiler[which is why he exiled them to Japan, where they would be safe from his immortal Code bearing brother V.V., who had just murdered Charles' wife out of jealousy.]

Gendo Ikari in my opinion is one notch worst than Charles since Gendo is willing to spoiler[sacrifice his son's life in order to initiate the Third Impact just so he could be with his wife once more].

Charles on the other hand, spoiler[who had a similar plan (the Ragnarok Connection) is willing to sacrifice Lelouch and Nunnally to attain his goal because the consciousness' of the living and dead will be united as one. If his children die, in Charles' mind that's not bad for now since he will be reunited with them when they are all one.]

Basically what I'm saying is that Charles seems to want his children to share his happiness in the end while Gendo in the end only cares about his happiness and not that of Shinji's.

Despite the intentions, it still comes off as REALLY bad parenting and plus we can't the other gems like spoiler[when it turns out Lelouch's memories of witnessing Marianne being shot while protecting Nunnally was in fact fake while the real event was that V.V. killed Marianne out of jealousy and that Nunnally was blinded and paralyzed and have her memories being altered for the cover up too.]

Well, Lelouch has every right to call his parents out after hearing the truth and suffice to say, Charles and Marianne had it coming and really, Charles hates lying and yet he became the biggest liar this series had when all Lelouch really wanted from him is the truth and all that he gave him is lies at the beginning too. I mean, I am sure that Lelouch is oh so grateful for what Charles tries to do for him and Nunnally with consideration to their feelings of course. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5