• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tuxedo Gin GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Good review, I agree that it's a simple romantic comedy with some action. The character are simplistic, nothing that would stand out in the crowd. But even though it's a simple story, I enjoy it a lot and it makes me smile everytime I read it. Gin is pretty cute when he's dress up. I guess I have a softspot for penguin. The story does progress as each volume is released. I guess another good point is that it never been animated. So the only way to check out the story is through the manga.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:02 pm Reply with quote
While I generally agree with the review, I only have one (slight) disagreement. In terms of character development, I always expect volume one of anything to be fairly short. I don't expect to find out Darth Vader is Luke's father in the first half hour of watching Star Wars, nor do I expect to have a great deal character growth in the first 3-4 episodes of most anime series. The same qualifies to me with the first volume of any given manga. To me, the first volume is merely to introduce you to the main cast, and nothing more.

In order to take a stance on character development, I think it's important to start looking for it in furture volumes; not that Tuxedo Gin has layers of it - I'm speaking generally. I just feel he's applying a standard that is better left to looking at a story as a whole, or at the very least, later on in the series. Otherwise, I agree that this is a solid review and covers Tuxedo Gin pretty well. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
manafairy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. For a 15 volume series, it seems a little early to complain about the character developement. But, yeah, it was a well done review, I just found that to be a rather odd choice for the negative one liner.

On a side note, shouldn't the cover picture look like this? I know that's pretty insignificant, but I just found it kind of odd that the cover picture used was slightly different than the official one.....
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Hey you're right, the cover don't match the one that Viz is releasing. As it being 15 volume, I'm currently at 8, I'm not sure if I can finish it because I'm collecting about 10 other series and lack of money. Tuxedo gin isn't one of my top priority, but I get a volume when there's nothing else to get.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I've read both of the first two volumes, and I think that, while it's certainly "fluffy", it's not as plotless as the ANN reviewer implies.

Yes, it's usually fluffy. Yes, the characters in the first volume seem to be a little cliche (as one person pointed out, though, that's perfectly OK for the volume meant only really to introduce the characters and set up the rest of the story). However, I found it very enjoyable. It's not my favorite, but I idn't feel like I had maybe wasted my time on it (certain manga are that way to me, as are certain shows).

Tuxedo Gin maybe not be the manga equivelant of an Emmy-winner, but it's also not boring, incomprehensible, overly-contrived, or really, really stupid, like some series.

In fact, given that its premise is that of an amatuer boxer immediately falling in love with a girl he's never met before, then right after that dying, then right after that being reincarnated as a penguin, and then right after THAT being adopted as a pet by the girl he loves, and of course, still being able to box as a penguin (believe it or not, these scenes actually WORK!)... all things considered, this could totally suck, and instead, it's fun and entertaining. And yes, the art's nothing to write home about, but (as noted) it services the story perfectly well and to be honest, I've seen a LOT worse.

This is a good series. If you really HATE cute animals or romantic comedies, OK, stay away. But if you're OK with cute animals and kinda like and/or love romantic comedies, I'd definately reccommend giving Tuxedo Gin a spin - you might not love it, but you probably won't absolutely abhor it, either, an will probably enjoy it on one level or another. If you're that unsure about it, I suggest sitting down in Barnes & Noble with a cup of coffee an reading through it before you buy, or (like I did) borrowing it from a friend.

That said... who on earth DOES these ANN reviews? I really, really wish they would include reviewers' names or pennames more often, since opinions can vary a lot, and if you find yourself agreeing or disagreeing with certain reviewers, you can keep track of that. As it is now, the only NAMED reviewers seem to be those who have actual columns. It'd be nice to know exactly who's panning or loving a series I'm considering buying.

- Andromeda

--@~>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with the reviewer on everything.

The characters were extremly flat and generic. I've read all volumes that are out to date, and they never really changed at all.

The plot itself, well, after reading all the volumes that are currently out, it never really changed. Guy is reincarnated as a penguin until he dies then he can be reuinited with the girl. He can't kill himself though, so he lives with the girl while he waits to die. Nothing really ever changes except for maybe the whole spoiler[boxing penguin] thing that happens.

The art for that matter, isn't bad, but it's just the typical shonen style. It doesn't really have anything about it to help it stand out in the manga world.

It IS a cute series though, and I did enjoy it. It was in fact one of the few guy romance manga I have actually enjoyed. I've only read a few others, and all of them you can't really enjoy unless you're a desperate guy who wants to imagine himself as the main character *coughlikelovehinacough*. However, Tuxedo Gin doesn't really require a lot of thinking, nor does it stir any emotions. The most I went while reading this series was "awww, that's so cute" here and there. It's a cute little thing to read if you have nothing better to do. But if you're looking for something with substance, look elsewhere.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not that I have a problem with the review, just the approach. You are right, there isn't much character development for the series so far, but then again, that's looking at 8 volumes. Looking at the first volume (of any series) by itself and then trying to judge character development, IMO, is pre-mature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Andromeda wrote:
That said... who on earth DOES these ANN reviews? I really, really wish they would include reviewers' names or pennames more often, since opinions can vary a lot, and if you find yourself agreeing or disagreeing with certain reviewers, you can keep track of that. As it is now, the only NAMED reviewers seem to be those who have actual columns. It'd be nice to know exactly who's panning or loving a series I'm considering buying.

Every review has the writer's name at the top, right under the title.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Yea one of the few ramance title that's from a guy's standpoint. I guess that's why I enjoy it even though it was a romance comedy.

Also I thnk of it as a "fish out of the water" type story where the character is in a situation out of his element. In this case, he's a penguin living as a human. It doesn't have to be incredibliy deep, just unpredictable that it makes you wonder what would happen.

It's not the best thing in the world that you would read but it's still a light hearted enjoyable series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1