• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Delays Some Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Talking to you people is like talking to a brick wall, oh my god. -_-

They don't have the items you want because you aren't buying them in the first place. You elitist brats sit around twiddling your thumbs and snacking on imported bonbons, swirling your wine while waiting for a company to cater to your every whim and ignoring the very product that you're trying to purchase in the first place.

Why the hell do you think a company might stop a series halfway through production? Because entitlement queens like you aren't buying the product that gives them the sales to keep producing the series in the first place! It's common freaking sense!

It's not that I won't buy anime from the companies. It's I won't buy incomplete anime series if there is no evidence of companies releasing complete anime series. Please try to understand that concept. I think you are confused as to entitlement queens. Anime is a business first and as a consumer I'm at the mercy of what the anime companies produced and how they are released.

The anime companies should change how they license and release anime dvds. If the anime companies are not innovatived to change with the times then it's their own fault.

I used to buy the single anime dvds and later collect the box sets. Lately, that is not happening because half the time I'm not sure if I will get the complete series in the single dvds to begin with much less box sets.

Like the other post ADV did a number on me with Welcome to NHK, Pumpkin Scissors, and Wallflower. Not only will I not have a complete set of singles in the same packaging for them I have to buy FUNimation singles too. I will buy the box sets for them from FUNimation. I'm not saying I don't appreciated FUNimation in fact if it weren't for them I wouldn't get the whole series for those titles.

Last edited by sdhd on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:36 pm; edited 5 times in total
foxia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Sad that the Limited Editon vol.6 of Lucky Star won't be out now.... I'm seriously annoyed about this...

But problem towards sales though I think is a combination of both Fansubs and people not buying the single DVD's.

It reminds me of the more recent anime News Nina strip. You got those idiot fans that love their fansubs and those that support the companys by buying the DVD's.

If those idiot fansub fans bought the DVD's we'd not see the cancellation of Lucky Star Limited Edition Vol. 6.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not going to play innocent with it, I did watch Lucky Star fansubbed, but it convinced me to buy the DVD's because it was worth it.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure where the theory that it's a crime to not buy a series until the complete run is out came from. I do the same thing, I now wait until I can get my hands on the complete version at a lower price than the individual volumes -- spending over 200 on a 24- to 26-episode series of 25-minute shows is ludicrous in this day and age, and it's a business model that needs to die off. I know some people rant and rave about their purdy individual LE volumes and their fancy holograms and pencil boards and key chains and whatever, but if I can get a complete series for between $45 and $70 or so, in a box that not only saves space but is sturdy enough for its purpose, then why not?

Can you really blame people for being cost-conscious? And Bandai, for God knows what reason, still thinks singles are the way to go for releases, not realizing that the business model is starting to prove ineffective (not that it's Bandai USA's fault; I'm sure their Japanese masters insist on the single volume release format).

At least GL has been releasing two discs at a time, though.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:

Personally, my take on it is that unless you're just too strapped for cash to buy the singles, then you should buy them because it supports the companies that sell this stuff and allows them to continue to bring us more great stuff (you also get the stuff faster that way). This is doubly true for manga since it's not like you're ever going to get boxed sets of them like you will with anime.

Anyone and everyone has the right to choose how they spend their money, but be aware that how you spend it has an effect on what will be around later for you to spend it on. This is especially true in niche markets such as anime.

Then explain to me this: Why is it that absolutely no R2 anime DVDs, released as singles often with only 2 episodes each, have ever stopped halfway? The Japanese companies always ALWAYS finish releasing whatever was made on DVD. (Sometimes the shows themselves get cancelled. But the DVD releases never ever do.... (well, there are a few slight exceptions where a season 2 doesn't get a DVD release, but never mid season changes).

There are series where they don't even sell 1000 copies and yet they continue printing the singles, one after another... Surely even LOSING money on them. A show like Suger Suger Rune sold less than 700 copies of volume 10-17 and yet they all came out, every month, like clockwork.
This is because no R2 company would DARE cancel a series release in the middle of singles. Were they to do that the company would be run out of business by its customers, boycotted, and destroyed in Japan. That would be the ultimate betrayal of trust to the hard core Otaku in Japan, and they would not let it go unpunished.

What you are asking R1 consumers to do is to bend over backwards and take whatever is given us. I say hell no.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Forgive my sarcasm

*I am sorry for wanting my DVDs in a complete collection, I am also sorry for waiting god knows how long for said series to come out on DVD when I have a fat wad of cash in the bank.

Do you want my money or not?

I would also like to point out this for anyone who did not see it at the time.
animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2007-11-25

(Oh yeah, sorry for buying DVDs as well?????)
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
sam p: by that logic, then (the logic of those who support the singles model, not your logic), we should expect less on our DVDs -- all because we're supposed to STFU and be happy we get any anime at all. That's some braindead logic, and it's dumb to pay exorbitant prices just to own an entire series because American TV shows come out in full-season boxes at $50-$60 a pop, or even less sometimes. Why shouldn't we start expecting the same from our anime? Truth is, Japan's business models are flawed and outdated, and pardon the beating of the dead horse, but their fear of change might be their undoing.
foxia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Well Unit 03.5-ish, the other reason why the singles cost so much in the US is mostly cause of the additional English dub added in. It's what makes up cash also for the English voice actors.

the reason why American shows cost less is because their made in America....

Anime is a totally different story in this respect. You got the costs of the license fee's and the cost of voice actors included. Plus whatever extra's are their.

Sure some company's are moving to the half season business model but this means that it's going to limit what will be released later.

Anyway Lucky Star was suppose to be the last of the original series that woul be released by the old singles DVD model since Bandai has since moved to the 3 part DVD model instead..
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
If you pre-ordered it, it's pre-ordered still. If the title is cancelled, TRSI will mail you a notice it was cancelled.

I thought as much. I don't plan to cancel my LE preorder; I ordered the regular release to ensure I complete the series.

CCSYueh wrote:
If anything, they might be lightening up their release schedule with the idea we're all suffering so if they slow their schedule, we'll be more likely to buy titles we were maybe iffy on. Maybe a fan wants Gurren Laggan, but also wants Code Geass & can't afford both at the same time (Actually I dropped GL & will buy it after I finish with CG)

I hope you're right, but I'm skeptical the Lucky Star LE will be rescheduled -- it's probably more cost-effective to do away with it completely. If it is rescheduled, great. I enjoy the CDs and I would like the DVD cases to match. I won't cancel my LE preorder just in case a new date is announced.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
You ordered both the standard and LE versions? Um...no comment.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
..(rant).. You are part of the problem

Of course, because singles = terrible value

SongstressCela wrote:
They don't have the items you want because you aren't buying them in the first place.

Again, because singles = terrible value

Quote:
You elitist brats sit around twiddling your thumbs and snacking on imported bonbons, swirling your wine while waiting for a company to cater to your every whim and ignoring the very product that you're trying to purchase in the first place.

Why the hell do you think a company might stop a series halfway through production? Because entitlement queens like you aren't buying the product that gives them the sales to keep producing the series in the first place! It's common freaking sense!

.. because maybe, just maybe -->
samuelp wrote:
Sure, that's fine, but they'd better expect for no one to ever buy singles ever again from them in return.

.. they shouldn't have made expensive-to-buy and expensive-to-produce singles in the first place?

and maybe Bandai saw this too, hence their decision to also release Gurren Lagaan in a faster releasing and much cheaper sub-only format?

edit: and like I mentioned before, all of the extras can be sold seperately as merchandise. In fact, Lucky Star is merchandise heaven! They probably would be more profitable with that strategy, IMHO
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote
Time for a comparison (with a Bandai title, no less, making it even MORE appropriate).

This: http://www.amazon.com/Escaflowne-Dragons-Destiny-Vol-1/dp/B00004T373/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1233479135&sr=1-8

$26 x 8 = $208

vs.

This: http://www.amazon.com/Escaflowne-Anime-Legends-Complete-Collection/dp/B000E8NRNA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1233479127&sr=8-1

$45 x 1 = $45

Please do inform me as to where the greater wisdom lies.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:14 am Reply with quote
foxia wrote:
Sad that the Limited Editon vol.6 of Lucky Star won't be out now.... I'm seriously annoyed about this...

But problem towards sales though I think is a combination of both Fansubs and people not buying the single DVD's.

It reminds me of the more recent anime News Nina strip. You got those idiot fans that love their fansubs and those that support the companys by buying the DVD's.

If those idiot fansub fans bought the DVD's we'd not see the cancellation of Lucky Star Limited Edition Vol. 6.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not going to play innocent with it, I did watch Lucky Star fansubbed, but it convinced me to buy the DVD's because it was worth it.

A lot of us watched Lucky Star when it was airing just to see what would happened and where it would go. We never had any intention of buying it, we reserved that for shows that were worth it.
foxia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
A lot of us watched Lucky Star when it was airing just to see what would happened and where it would go. We never had any intention of buying it, we reserved that for shows that were worth it.

Well I wasn't talking about you specifically. I'm talking about the REAL hardcore fans that love the series and they'll buy just about any kind of Merchandise of it accept the legal R1 DVD's.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
foxia wrote:

*Urge to get on anti-fansub soapbox rising*

Sorry, I just hate seeing that "preview to see if it's worth it" excuse. Not knocking you or anything, but it pisses me off regardless.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
foxia wrote:

Uh, it was pretty obvious to me that the show wasn't going anywhere at all after about 4 episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8