• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some suggestions about submitting cast and staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
What happens is simply that the kanji will be converted to the translated form before even making it into the database. So 監督 is converted to Director, and if it turns out that it was a mistake and should have been Supervisor, then the only recourse would be to convert Supervisor to Director. If that is incorrect (because the task Director exists independently of Supervisor) then we're screwed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

wao wrote:
I think "Sound director"/"Audio director" 音響監督 should be put in the "top list" too. They're quite iportant - they're always shown with the main credits in the OP, and how good the seiyuu work together (or sometimes even how well the seiyuu reads) depeds on the audio director.

"Sound director," please. Yes, sometimes he (I have yet seen a female sound director; please let me know if you know one) is powerful enough to determine the cast.... :roll: I'd say his role is more important than the director of photography.

I hope I'm forgiven for dragging out a really old post in this thread, but this is something I've been thinking about every time I submit "Sound director" information. I would definitely recommend this job being moved to a top credit. From my understanding, they direct the voice actors, so they are very important to a title in my mind. The task of "ADR Director" in English dubbing for instance is rightly listed high for their importance in directing vocal performances.

On female sound directors, Hiromi Kikuta has worked on a lot of titles, and is female if Japanese Wikipedia is correct.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
I would definitely recommend this job being moved to a top credit. From my understanding, they direct the voice actors, so they are very important to a title in my mind.

Done. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Done. Wink

Nice... looks good to me. Smile
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

演出 -> enshutsu -> animation director/episode direction/overview/direction/technical director

"Direction" is not good because it aliases to "Director", and "Director" is most often used for 監督. "Animation Director" isn't either because it's used for 作画監督. I prefer "Eepisode Director" - it is used commonly, easy to understand, and unlike other translations has already been set to show as an important position for a while now. If another translation is used, then it needs to be moved to the same priority among the credits as "Episode Director" is now.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
I prefer "Eepisode Director" - it is used commonly, easy to understand, and unlike other translations has already been set to show as an important position for a while now.

A big problem is that enshutsu exists in movies and single-episode OVA as well. On the other hand, the literal translation of kantoku (監督) is "supervisor" or "overseer" and can be applied to the position who has the greatest power AND responsibility (but not the ownership) in other professions, such as the coach of a baseball team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

A big problem is that enshutsu exists in movies and single-episode OVA as well.

I was thinking about that, and yeah, that's probably the biggest problem. Is it usually the case that enshutsu direct a specific part of a movie or single-episode OVA? I know this is the case with the Lucky Star OVA at least, being divided into six parts with a specific one for each. It wouldn't seem too off to say "episode director" in those instances, though still somewhat problematic.

One problem I've found with "Technical director" is Takayuki Hirao. He has the position of テクニカルディレクター in Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight, in addition to being 演出 on certain episodes. Manabi Straight is unusual in that it has no specific 監督 and is divided into several directors, the テクニカルディレクター Hirao is credited being one, though.

I sometimes see it as "Unit Director" on R1 release, though I do not know how widespread it is. It seems most instances of it appearing on ANN are from series that get R1 releases from Bandai Entertainment (so it may be a standard for them), but I do see it otherwise too. It's a term that would seem to go better with movies and single OVA than Episode Director.

I think I'll look at several of the DVD's in my collection to see what terms are commonly used for 演出, particularly checking movies and OVA's. If we are going to apply a consistent translation, I'd prefer one that has at least some official use.

Quote:
On the other hand, the literal translation of kantoku (監督) is "supervisor" or "overseer" and can be applied to the position who has the greatest power AND responsibility (but not the ownership) in other professions, such as the coach of a baseball team.

At least when it comes to film and television, though, translating it as "Director" is the best and most common way, isn't it? It seems the term is used in Japanese to refer to the "Director" of an American-made movie too.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
Can someone please tell me what this task is? 映像演出 Some translators have given me Image Producer.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
"Image Producer" (or director?) would be a direct translation of Eizou Enshutsu, but what the job actually entails I have no idea.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd come upon a few old credit translation sheets from my CPM days, and found a few that may help. Below is one of them, as supplied by a licensor. I don't agree with 100% of the translations they used, but most of them are debatable anyway.

Also, in addition to this I have the complete translated credits list from the Utena movie in a giant Excel file, which should match up line by line with the Japanese credit roll. Unfortunately the Japanese list was not preserved in this file, but since that was a big budget movie it should have every credit known to man. We really went the extra mile on that one, and coordinated with Japan to find the EXACT English equivalent for every role. (Most licensors are pretty lazy with the role translation, and often confuse things or don't bother researching... For example リス・ワーク often became "Ris Work" when it's actually "Lithography".)

If someone that knows Japanese well enough to transcribe kanji wants to go through it with their copy of the movie, I think that would be a good option. PM me with your e-mail address if you want the file.

企画 Planning
エグゼクティブプロデューサー Executive Producer
原作 Original Work
シリーズ構成 Series Composition
キャラクターデザイン/総作画監督 Character Designs / Chief Animation Director
美術監督 Art Director
美術設定 Art Setting
プロップデザイン Prop Design
色彩設計 Color Coordination
音響監督 Sound Director
撮影監督 Director of Photography
編集 Editor
音楽 Music
音楽プロデューサー Music Producer
作詞 Lyrics by
作曲/編曲 Composed & Arranged by
唄 Performed by
プロデューサー Producer
監督 Director
制作 A Production Of
脚本 Screenplay
作画監督  Animation Director
作画監督補佐 Assistant Animation Director
音響効果 Sound Effects
録音調整 Sound Mixer
録音助手 Assistant Sound Mixer

録音スタジオ Recording Studio
音響制作 Sound Effect Production
音響制作担当 Sound Effect Production Coordinator
ビデオ編集 Video Editing
タイトルロゴデザイン Title Logo Design
オリジナルキャラクター原案 Original Character Concepts
OPアニメーション Opening Animation
絵コンテ・演出 Continuity & Opening Direcor
作画監督 Animation Director
OP原画 Opening Key Animation
ED原画 Ending Key Animation
ED第二原画 Ending Secondary Key Animation
アソシエイトプロデューサー Associate Producer
企画協力 Planning Assistance
原作協力 Original Work Assistance
企画担当 Planning Coordinator
広報 Publicity
宣伝 Advertising
宣伝協力 Advertising Assistance
絵コンテ・演出 Storyboard & Unit Director
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
For example リス・ワーク often became "Ris Work" when it's actually "Lithography".

What does "lithography" mean in this context?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Photocopying?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
For example リス・ワーク often became "Ris Work" when it's actually "Lithography".

What does "lithography" mean in this context?

It's not seen so much in today's all-digital age, but it used to be the actual lithography of title logos or other design elements that weren't hand drawn onto lithographic transparencies, which were then optically superimposed onto the image after (or sometimes during) principal photography. The most common use for these were credits, but those were sometimes credited separately as "タイトル” (and apparently MAKI PRO had pretty near a monopoly on that market, much like Pacific Title did here in Los Angeles). Other uses for lithography included certain special effects, Title logos, on-screen digital "print-outs", etc.

This role has all but disappeared today, since it's now trivial to do this sort of thing at the compositing stage or editing. I suppose another way to translate リス・ワーク, then, would be "Opticals".
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the answer. There was some confusion and discussion during the writing of The Anime Encyclopedia's second edition about what this meant, so I was curious to get a definitive answer.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
OPアニメーション Opening Animation
絵コンテ・演出 Continuity & Opening Direcor
[...]
絵コンテ・演出 Storyboard & Unit Director

Inconsistency. I assume the former one should be

OPアニメーション絵コンテ・演出 Opening Animation Continuity & Opening Director
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5