• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 90s Part II: Ice To See You

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough Chagen46. I'll leave you to enjoy your favourite show in peace.

fanboysgonnafangasm.gif
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Are you one of those people that complain about sound in space in film?
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the show. Here are my own top tens. They are in alphabetical order, represent nothing more than my own opinions, and if anybody wants to argue about them, argue with my butt because my head hurts.

Anime:
Cowboy Bebop
Golden Boy
Macross Plus
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Perfect Blue
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Serial Experiments Lain
Vision of Escaflowne
Video Girl Ai
Whisper of the Heart

Music (cheers, Mike, you have excellent taste; extra props for the nod to Morphine's Cure for Pain):
* "Blues for Ceausescu"--The Fatima Mansions - A catchy, literate six-minute punch in the face.
* "Choose Evil"--Severed Heads - Tom Ellard extricates himself from the label system.
* "Dance of the Headless Bourgeoisie"--NoMeansNo - Blow up your head!
* "Cindy of a Thousand Lives"--Billy Bragg - Bill's tribute to the curious works of American photographer Cindy Sherman.
* "Free James Brown (so he can run me down)"--Foetus Inc. - Industrial music that wears a twisted smile.
* "One More"--Medicine - Gazing at your shoes on LSD through the flames all over your body. My Bloody Valentine's Loveless remains excellent, but Shot Forth Self Living still makes the hair on my neck stand up.
* "The Ship Song"--Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Vivid proof that love songs don't have to suck.
* "Super Go!!!!! - shine in - shine on"--Boredoms' early art-punk was way gone, but this took me into the stratosphere.
* "Voices"--Yoko Kanno featuring Akino Arai - From Macross Plus. The song that made me start buying anime soundtrack CDs, and established Ms. Kanno's reign over my anime ears.
* "We Love You, Tipper Gore"--Furnaceface (local Ottawa band) - "Don't you know you're wrong? / You only make us want to hear it that much more."
(Hidden CD bonus track:) PJ Harvey--"Rid of Me" - The pinnacle of quietLOUDquiet in alt-rock, in a nicely disturbing lyrical package. I do wish I could meet her, actually...to thank her for the excellent music and get an autograph before moving on.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
In terms of Gurren Lagann's "galaxy shurikens", I'm pretty sure that the final villian said that the place they were fighting in wasn't a part of the actual universe, but rather a space that was created by the villian where everything in it, aside from the villian & the heroes, were created by the villian. Therefore, even though they looked like galaxies, they were in fact just physical objects that just looked like galaxies, hence why they could be thrown around like such.

Honestly, sometimes people take what they see in an anime too much at face value. Those objects were made to look like galaxies just for visual accentuation, i.e. they look cool. They could have been anything else, but making those things look like galaxies were being thrown around just looked cooler in the end.
staab99

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagan is the anime version of Terminator 2. Action anime meant to be watched by teenagers and action fan boys for the cool factor, regardless of how flimsy, cliched and poorly written the story may be.

That is all

As for other shows of the 90's, what about GTO? That's another wonderful show that people tend to overlook.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gurren Lagan is the anime version of Terminator 2. Action anime meant to be watched by teenagers and action fan boys for the cool factor, regardless of how flimsy, cliched and poorly written the story may be.

"Someone has a different opinion than me, that means I get to be a condescending asswipe and psycho-analyze an entire fanbase!"
staab99

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
LOL fanboys are funny!

Also Chagen I honestly don't care if you enjoy it, but it's really not that great of a show. If you like it go ahead, but don't get all pissy because some people don't enjoy it (also I said it's an alright show, not a bad show).
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
All the dissing of Slayers made me sad. Not that I'm all that surprised. Zac has been my dark mirror counterpart ever since his answerman days when he used to instill some high quality nerd rage in me. Anyways, I think the Slayers characters still hold up. How often do you get to see an anime heroine with that great self esteem? lol Lina Inverse is still an awesome character. It's too bad the animation was never stellar. I kind of wish they'd redo the series following the novels. I think the show is rife for a remake. Heck, I'd go for some kind of alternate universe retelling as long as the main crew still had the same personalities.

I wish I could high five whoever put Slayers in their top 3. I don't remember who you are man, but I'm giving you a mighty high five.

There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike Evangelion. Not agreeing with Anno's poor opinion on the human race being one of them.

I'm also surprised none of the submitted top three mentioned the One Piece anime since it started in 1999.

Last edited by ashez2ashes on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

"Someone has a different opinion than me, that means I get to be a condescending asswipe and psycho-analyze an entire fanbase!"

Ok, now that is [expletive] hilarious coming from you.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:14 am Reply with quote
staab99 wrote:

You mean Bruno Mattei's Terminator 2, because Cameron's T2 is well written? I still don't get how Gurren Lagann is supposed to be poorly written either.
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Seems like most of my favorite anime have been from the 90's.

Top 3:

3. Black Jack OAV

2. Revolutionary Girl Utena

1. Please Save My Earth
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
staab99 wrote:
LOL fanboys are funny!

Also Chagen I honestly don't care if you enjoy it, but it's really not that great of a show. If you like it go ahead, but don't get all pissy because some people don't enjoy it (also I said it's an alright show, not a bad show).

You're right that people shouldn't get pissy just because you have a different opinion of the show, but you were doing quite a bit more than that in the post which provoked that response. When you're making deprecating generalizations about the fan base of the series, rather than the series itself, what do you expect?

For instance, I think you're totally wrong about GL, and I'm definitely not a "teenager" or "action fan boy." I know a lot of mature adult fans who aren't necessarily action fanatics who loved that series. I also entirely disagree that Terminator 2 is a good comparison in any respect.

And Fencedue5609: Stop trying to pick fights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I think TTGL was a fun show and I enjoyed it (obviously nowhere near as much as chagen), but I have one question. Did you people really, seriously, truly just get done arguing the "logic" of throwing galaxies like shuriken in a show where the mecha are LITERALLY (not metaphorically or even "vaguely", but clearly and directly) powered by "fighting spirit"? Really? That's like arguing that your car that's powered by Ice Cream and dreams would never move because cloud tires would never work.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Oh, and as for My Neighbors the Yamadas, I enjoy it for what it is, but it's fairly obvious that it's got a disjointed narrative and conventional set-ups, even by slice-of-life standards. So I can see why the Japanese audiences didn't go for it at the time, since it didn't stand out, unless you were an animation buff. Would I say it's the "best" of the 90s, though? No, but it's a fun diversion overall. When it played in L.A. when Takahata was here, I think there were even people in the audience who could probably rent or buy it in Little Tokyo who saw it for the first time. I feel sorry for Takahata for not only being in Miyazaki's shadow, but having to play second fiddle to Goro, who only gets gigs because of his surname. It's my belief that the reason he hasn't done anything since Yamadas is Ghibli's producers intentionally marginalize him and force him to shoot his projects their way, which he obviously disagrees on doing. And he's older than Miyazaki, so I'd like to see him get in one more movie before he dies.

Takahata is, in fact, working on a movie right now, likely his last--Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.

It's my opinion that Takahata is a more experimental director so his stuff can be hit or miss. But he's skilled enough that when he hits his target, he REALLY hits it, like in Only Yesterday or Grave of the Fireflies. When he's off, you get interesting but somewhat failed experiments like Yamadas (which I think is inferior in some ways to the average Charlie Brown special) or Pom Poko.

With all due respect to fans of those films, of course.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
ashez2ashes wrote:

I'm also surprised none of the submitted top three mentioned the One Piece anime since it started in 1999.
Probably because practically everybody thinks of it as a 2000s show, even thought it started in 1999. Same with how everybody thinks of DBZ as a 90s show, even though it started in '89.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15