• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fantasy Stars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I wish FF would go back to the cartoony style. I was never a fan of the pretty boy flowing haired, semi-realistic style, I always preferred the in-engine FFVII graphics to the FMV graphics. The most beautiful art Square puts out is in Kingdom Hearts games, the next FF should look more like Kingdom Hearts.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
kazume wrote:
Hopefully they recover with Versus 13 and a US release of type-0 which got great reviews in Japan iirc because this new demo they showed at E3 looks like yet another all glitter and no gold type of "Final Fantasy" Game. hell I know it's not a FF game, and it probably won't even be called such as a type of spin off, but that's sure as hell what it looks like; another empty promise from a company that's lost it's touch.

Thankfully, Square is smart enough not to listen and cater exclusively to one guy on the internet who doesn't like them and instead actually focuses on it's millions of customers and fans who do. Seems like a smarter business practice.

You're right, no one but you is allowed to have thoughts and opinions on the subject.

While he might sound a bit egotistical about it, he's right. In Squares mind, theres nothing that needs fixing... It still sells great. If people stopped buying it, then maybe they'd "upgrade" it.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
animehermit wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
kazume wrote:
Hopefully they recover with Versus 13 and a US release of type-0 which got great reviews in Japan iirc because this new demo they showed at E3 looks like yet another all glitter and no gold type of "Final Fantasy" Game. hell I know it's not a FF game, and it probably won't even be called such as a type of spin off, but that's sure as hell what it looks like; another empty promise from a company that's lost it's touch.

Thankfully, Square is smart enough not to listen and cater exclusively to one guy on the internet who doesn't like them and instead actually focuses on it's millions of customers and fans who do. Seems like a smarter business practice.

You're right, no one but you is allowed to have thoughts and opinions on the subject.

While he might sound a bit egotistical about it, he's right. In Squares mind, theres nothing that needs fixing... It still sells great. If people stopped buying it, then maybe they'd "upgrade" it.

Except that looking at all the changes made to XIII-2 shows that SE listened to all the consumer feedback, as it addresses a lot of complaints XIII had.They're definatley listening and adjusting their philosophy, as read in this article

FFXIII-2 was also the first game of SE where they employed western play testers..
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Except that looking at all the changes made to XIII-2 shows that SE listened to all the consumer feedback, as it addresses a lot of complaints XIII had.They're definatley listening and adjusting their philosophy, as read in this article

"All the changes" being...? I don't know if you've played it but it was essentially the same game, only with a monster capturing system added in. The article talks about..Facebook/Twitter integration? Other than that, "listening and examining the feedback" is just PR speak that pretty much every company says. Every companies does that. Well, every good company, anyway (like Valve). Bad companies (like Bioware, who defends their TOR/ME3 controversy by using the ever predictable "Let's see you do better" excuse) don't.

There's a difference between the "we loved the game, but a few problems we had were..." feedback and the "this game sucks, Square is dumb, because..." feedback. All the people crying gloom and doom and "Square is dead" aren't the ones they're listening too and catering to. They're listening to their established fans who loved the game but would change a few things here or there. They still made the game they wanted to and originally planned to, with a few minor tweaks. They're not going to suddenly turn it into CoD/Elder Scrolls because that's what American gamers want.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

"All the changes" being...? I don't know if you've played it but it was essentially the same game, only with a monster capturing system added in.

-Towns with NPCs
-More exploration available from the beginning
-Sidequests (that don't just involve hunting monsters)
-No game over/restart if leader is killed
-Ability to change characters in mid-combat
-No paradigm shift waiting animation
-Chocobo raising/racing
-Dialogue choices
-Being able to backtrack to previous areas
-Multiple endings
-The mog Clock system
-mini-games
-gameplay adjustment goodeis via Fragment Skills

Quote:
The article talks about..Facebook/Twitter integration? Other than that, "listening and examining the feedback" is just PR speak that pretty much every company says. Every companies does that. Well, every good company, anyway (like Valve). Bad companies (like Bioware, who defends their TOR/ME3 controversy by using the ever predictable "Let's see you do better" excuse) don't. You'll notice just because they 'listened' doesn't mean they turned XIII-2 into Call of Duty or Elder Scrolls. They still made the game they wanted to and originally planned to.

"It's just PR speak?" Sorry, but I just don't think that's the case. I think the evidence is in the game itself.

The bit about not collecting feedback until after the game is finished was personally pretty shocking to me...

And as for playing it? Yes I did

Last edited by Shenl742 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

-Towns with NPCs
-More exploration available from the beginning
-Sidequests (that don't just involve hunting monsters)
-No game over/restart if leader is killed
-Ability to change characters in mid-combat
-No paradigm shift waiting animation
-Chocobo raising/racing
-Dialogue choices
-Multiple endings
-The mog Clock system
-mini-games
-gameplay adjustment goodeis via Fragment Skills

...So typical minor sequel improvements? How is that indicative of anything? X-2 did the same thing with X. That's hardly some huge overhaul.

My main concern are the people here who claim "no one liked it" or it was a "failure". Again, in what bizarro world is 7 million copies and getting 9/10 reviews a bad thing? It just seems like it all stems from "Well, I didn't like it, so I'll say no one did to make me look like I'm in the majority opinion" Let alone laughably unfounded statements like "Then Final Fantasy XIII came out, and the backlash was ugly" and "This Fabula Nova sub-series that no one really cared about in the first place"
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
How to fix Final Fantasy;

Remove all acknowledgement of Fabouls Novel Crystals or whatever the hell that's supposed to be called being a thing.

There, I saved your franchise.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Titan has been doing some work again in the forums LOL.
I think Titan makes some valid points, but the truth is that Final Fantasy is regarded in such a high manner that everyone expects them to provide THE BEST content instead of decent or good (a score of 7 or 8). A game such as Final Fantasy 13 sold well thanks to the graphics, the amazing marketing campaign, and nostalgia many gamers have with the series.

I look at Persona 4, Valkyria Chronicles 1, and Metal Gear Solid 4 and I see better games than Final Fantasy 13 or 13 2 that didn't sell as well due to their exclusive nature, yet they were solid Japanese Games.
Those 3 games had a higher metacritic score than both games, but reviews are sometimes influenced by money so you can't believe everything about all reviews.

I rather listen to Snake over Lightning or Serah >_>
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:

No matter how good David Hayter is, I wouldn't take him over Laura Bailey. She's like the only competent female dubber out there.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
ShinnFlowen wrote:

No matter how good David Hayter is, I wouldn't take him over Laura Bailey. She's like the only competent female dubber out there.

Voice acting can only take you so far, there's something to be said of script adaptations and directing. I love Laura Bailey, but I can't stand Serah.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:
Oh man, given Todd's recent feminist slant I can't wait to hear what he has to say about the new baby-making game or whatever that was announced today.

I'm not going to point out your use of the word "feminist" as a slur, but that game's been anounced for a while.

I think he's talking about the newly announced Xbox 360 game - Majiten: Maji de Tenshi wo Tsukuttemita (I seriously made an angel) which has only been announced in the last day or two.

Kinect-compatible would be something. Laughing
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
A game such as Final Fantasy 13 sold well thanks to the graphics, the amazing marketing campaign, and nostalgia many gamers have with the series.

Or because the majority of people loved it and the people who bashed it are just a vocal minority.

Quote:
I look at Persona 4, Valkyria Chronicles 1, and Metal Gear Solid 4 and I see better games than Final Fantasy 13 or 13 2 that didn't sell as well due to their exclusive nature, yet they were solid Japanese Games.

Persona 4 is on the best selling system of all time. It doesn't get to use the 'exclusive nature' as a cause.

Actually, Persona 4 is most likely because of it's anime art style, which modern American gamers seem to hate. The advantage of a 3D style like FF13 is at least it looks somewhat 'normal' for American gamers. Reading reviews shows just how much 'professional' reviewers hate anime and anime aesthetics. Speaking of which

Quote:
Those 3 games had a higher metacritic score than both games, but reviews are sometimes influenced by money so you can't believe everything about all reviews.

Big site critic reviews in general are worthless since it's confirmed they get bought out by publishers. Why, even after this became common knowledge back in 2007, people still use them is beyond me. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Japanese games get significantly lower scores than American ones (ignoring culture/gaming difference) is Japanese publishers don't care enough to pay off American sites like IGN or Gamespot.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:27 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Or because the majority of people loved it and the people who bashed it are just a vocal minority.

Well even Square thinks the games it's making aren't as good anymore

If Final Fantasy XIII was so well recieved by everyone, why then, did it's sequel sell only a little more than a million copies?

Last edited by Animehermit on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
I see the shiny quarter has finally dulled to the point people are claiming Final Fantasy needs fixing.

I'll admit XIII wasn't a pleasing game, but there were many in the franchise which were. I didn't like VII, but I'm in a minority with this opinion and I can accept that. But VIII, IX (very under-appreciated), and XII were awesome games I didn't regret spending my money on.

I played a few levels of X, but ended up selling my PS2. It didn't impress me, but at the same time, I didn't have complaints about it.

XIII was horrid, and I'm glad I spent a grand total of $8 on it (thank you, Gamestop!). Had I spent $70+ on it, I would have been livid. Rails? In a FF game??!! I cried for days.

I doubt we'll see this in the next iteration, which is why I don't believe the franchise is broken. Some complain the stories of late are bad. Meh. To me, it's just the typical "good vs. evil" plot, tired since the dawn of story telling.

It's nice to see someone at SquareEnix finally come out and say, "No seven for you! Not until we surpass it."

That's an innovative mindset. Sure, they're going to make mistakes in the future.

Show me a gaming studio that hasn't.

Well, that's my two cents. Spend it wisely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5