• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shrek 2 DVD With Millennium Actress Preview

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.com person

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:12 pm Reply with quote
//// why would they put such a anime trailer on such a popular American movie. I don't think it's going to convert many people to anime fans overall though.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:52 pm Reply with quote
What makes you think they'll become anime fans instantly after watching Millenium Actress? Maybe some "every-day" American might want to check it out for the heck of it.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Becouse they own the rights to distrobute and and want to make more money. *DUH*!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad they actually want to make money on it for once. Let's just hope Hero's success will insure that MA doesn't get returned when people find out it's sub-only.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm just glad they actually want to make money on it for once. Let's just hope Hero's success will insure that MA doesn't get returned when people find out it's sub-only.

It makes no sense, by confinining Milennium Actress to sub-only they made it only accessible to fans. Now trying to promote it as a mainstream movie is pointless.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Again, fans wouldn't be interested in Millennium Actress anyway. Mainstream movie-goers would actually be more likely to go for it, if they knew about it, because they consider it art-house fare.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Again, fans wouldn't be interested in Millennium Actress anyway.

This is a huge overstatement!
I'm an anime fan and I love "Millennium Actress"! Plus it's by Sathoshi Kon a lot of anime hold love Satoshi Kon in a very high regard.
Personally, I'm just glad to see that this birlliant movie is getting some attention.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Proman: Bebop made more money than MA, and it was rated R. That doesn't mean that there aren't any anime fans who can appreciate MA, but obviously not enough.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Proman: Bebop made more money than MA, and it was rated R. That doesn't mean that there aren't any anime fans who can appreciate MA, but obviously not enough.

"Millenium Actress" opened in only 6 theaters versus 29 for "Cowboy Bebop". Plus comparing a very popular brand like "Cowboy Bebop" to "Millenium Actress" is not very fair.
It still say that the phrase "Again, fans wouldn't be interested in Millennium Actress anyway" is an overstatement. It's also quite different from saying "That doesn't mean that there aren't any anime fans who can appreciate MA, but obviously not enough" (the difference maybe subtle but it's there).
I do agree that not enough people saw this movie (but then again, not many people had a chance to see it in theaters). I heard that it's selling rather well on DVD and DreamWorks obviosuly has some faith in this movie since it decided to advertise it again.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Proman:
Quote:
"Millenium Actress" opened in only 6 theaters versus 29 for "Cowboy Bebop". Plus comparing a very popular brand like "Cowboy Bebop" to "Millenium Actress" is not very fair.

Given that MA was marketed off a popular brand like Perfect Blue, I think it is fair to make that comparison.

Quote:
It still say that the phrase "Again, fans wouldn't be interested in Millennium Actress anyway" is an overstatement. It's also quite different from saying "That doesn't mean that there aren't any anime fans who can appreciate MA, but obviously not enough" (the difference maybe subtle but it's there).

I was obviously exaggerating, but the returns say it all. The "fans" wanted the Kite-style violence from PB.

Quote:
I do agree that not enough people saw this movie (but then again, not many people had a chance to see it in theaters).

I'm not gonna blame Dreamworks on that. Even when Satoshi Kon showed up in L.A. to host MA, a bunch of people walked out before the Q+A. I didn't see much hype for it from anime sites, either. Everyone seemed to think that "Spirted Away=Miyazaki's best ever", and "Kill Bill sex and violence anime sequence=genius", and I guess that took a lot of steam out of MA.
JustJon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:55 am Reply with quote
FACT: You are all anime fans (being on this site proves that point)

FACT: As anime fans you are aware of and interested in MA. And if you aren't interested, a trailer probably won't change your mind.

FACT: Shrek 2 is one of the highest grossing movies in history.

FACT: The movie studios expect the DVD to be high selling as well. (I haven't seen the sales numbers to confirm)

With the high distribution of Shrek 2, they want to increase awareness of MA to the mainstream audiences. If they sit down to watch Shrek and and see MA, they may want to go out and purchase it themselves, which allows the studios to reach out beyond the limited anime market.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:20 am Reply with quote
JustJon wrote:
FACT: The movie studios expect the DVD to be high selling as well. (I haven't seen the sales numbers to confirm)

I think it sold like 11 million copies during the weekend and may have even knocked Nemo out of the top spot in sales. Right now I believe it's the #1 top seller of 2004.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:53 am Reply with quote
lian: Speaking of Nemo, I like how Dreamworks thumbs its nose at Disney and then just releases knock-offs of their films. (*cough* Shark Tale and Antz *cough*) It's like Don Bluth all over again.
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
lian: Speaking of Nemo, I like how Dreamworks thumbs its nose at Disney and then just releases knock-offs of their films. (*cough* Shark Tale and Antz *cough*) It's like Don Bluth all over again.

"Antz" went into production before "A Bug's Life" (it came out six months "A Bugs Life"). Also, other then the fact that they both take place underwater, there aren't many similarities between "Finding Nemo" and "A Shark Tale".
I don't really see your point.
I could also mention what Disney did with "Lion King" (Kimba The White Lion) but I don't want to bring this subject up again.
Lost_Toys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:59 am Reply with quote
[/quote]
I think it sold like 11 million copies during the weekend and may have even knocked Nemo out of the top spot in sales. Right now I believe it's the #1 top seller of 2004.[/quote]

12 million in the first 3 days of release. And yes, that is a new record.

Cowboy Bebop and Millennium Actress do not belong in the same sentance when you are talking properties. Cowboy Bebop had a twenty six episode series, a huge cult following in the United States thanks to Cartoon Network, and nearly 4 years of time to sink into the psyche of the audience before its theatrical release.

Millennium Actress only had Satoshi Kon on its side. His name is not large enough [even within the anime crowd] to bring in the larger reciepts. It is not due to the film not being dubbed. The film, itself, was very poorly advertised, like most of the animation releases to date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2