• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maburaho DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
The series get's slightly better as it progresses. But only slightly. Sadly, although the three main girls get some development, the show's best characters are some of the later supporting cast.

The series had potential that is ultimately wasted.
Verdoozle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
This story can be fun if you don't expect too much. The storyline it self is a little simplistic but many of the characters are fun. This series is alot of fun if you just take it for what it is.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
is it just me that thinks that it sounds like a love hina rip-off with magic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
coolGAL wrote:

Just you.
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo had the perfect description for Maburaho when she wrote her review of Volume 1 in Protoculture Addicts:

"There's nothing on Earth that could possibly justify the existence of Maburaho. In a market oversaturated with shounen romance, it tries desperately to distinguish itself from the others, but fails miserably."

[Source: Protoculture Addicts #84, page 53.]

Carlo's review of Maburaho Vol. 1 is just a more specific assessment of Bamboo's opening statements, although I like to know why he gave the voice acting those grades - he never explained anything about the acting in his review.
Verdoozle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
coolGAL wrote:

Just you.

Agreed
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Verdoozle wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:
coolGAL wrote:

Just you.

Agreed

Please don't do this. It doesn't contribute anything to anything, and just spams up the place. If you agree, explain why. At least then, you'll actually be legitimately adding to the thread's overall discussion (and, hopefully, intelligence).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Bamboo had the perfect description for Maburaho when she wrote her review of Volume 1 in Protoculture Addicts:

"There's nothing on Earth that could possibly justify the existence of Maburaho. In a market oversaturated with shounen romance, it tries desperately to distinguish itself from the others, but fails miserably."

I personally liked it. If you just take it for what it is rather then what it tries to be, it comes off just fine. Of course, there are a few things I take issue to, but that's true of just about any series I've seen.
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:47 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
I personally liked it. If you just take it for what it is rather then what it tries to be, it comes off just fine. Of course, there are a few things I take issue to, but that's true of just about any series I've seen.

I like it as well. I think Yuna is a pretty attractive character who's basically "carrying" this series, and Jessica Boone is doing a fabulous job as her English voice (which is partly why I asked Carlo to explain why he gave a "D" for the dub). What got me attracted to Maburaho was Yuna's sassy personality and her unconditional love for Kazuki, and it's these characteristics that made this a perfect role for Jessica. I also love Yuna's fits of jealousy - that's probably the cutest thing about her. I approached watching Maburaho the same way that I approached watching Sister Princess - expect a lot of cute characters with very little plot development, but the characters are enjoyable enough for me to continue watching.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
biliano wrote:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm enjoying the series myself also; but if all you can do is compare a show to OTHER shows, or try to measure "potential"; then you really arent enjoying a majority of the shows you watch. Another thing that's funny, Bamboo's quote actually proves the existence of Maburaho Smile
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
I'm actually finding Maburaho to be enjoyable and funny. It's a harem, for love's sake...was anyone really expecting Miyazaki quality storylines?

And D for the dub? Right...no. Dub quality is around B+. Yuna's and Kuriko's voices are perfect for them! Yuna sounds sweet and cuddly and Kuriko sounds just sultry enough without sounding like a whore. Rin's voice is not as good as it could be, but it works. Kazuki's voice has the right amount of nerdyness and it has a little bit of extra quality that makes the character sound believable.

If the reviewer thinks a better dub could have been produced, then perhaps an explanation of why so should've been explained better in the dub review. The characters did not sound monotone, and the discrepancy in pronouncing Kazuki's last name is a natural human tendency. I can't tell you how many ways I've heard my last name pronounced. Not an A quality dub, but it's not D quality either.

Reviewers need to start reviewing genre's they enjoy instead of genres that they are tired of seeing. You won't see a horror fan reviewing a "chick flick."

It seems to me that the reviewer was too caught up in trying to nitpick and compare than actually try to enjoy the show. Please put a little more effort into this next time, and perhaps skip reviewing harem titles all together and leave it to someone who still knows how to properly enjoy the genre.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote
AutoGyro wrote:

Reviewers need to start reviewing genre's they enjoy instead of genres that they are tired of seeing. You won't see a horror fan reviewing a "chick flick."

Wrong.

What you're suggesting is that because you disagree with the review, we should only have people who are guaranteed to say positive things about a particular genre comment on titles in that genre. What that will generate is a sea of unobjective reviews that hype up everything regardless of actual quality, which is useless and helps nobody. A good critic approaches everything with an open mind and can review anything in any genre.

Don't assume that because you disagree with the review that somehow the process is at fault or the critic is "wrong".
Symphonia30

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
It was a nice series while it last.

But the ending was so lousy, uninvented, clishy, and stupid

I wrote my own story on this in Fanfiction.net because I was disappoint in the ending

[Don't necropost. ~Cloe]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1