Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Summer 2012 - The List


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 12536
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Hopefully people who only watch casual stuff will lose interest and leave, leaving the true anime fans.


So from you're saying, only people who like low-brow titles can be called true Anime fans?

Riiiiiiight . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . whatever you say, bub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
SecretJustin1130



Joined: 13 May 2010
Posts: 113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I hate my life....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
asimpson2006



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 3149
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
So it has my two favorite things in one sis-con and harems. My body is ready for this one. Hopefully it keeps me interested.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu



Joined: 26 Jan 2012
Posts: 356

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Is it just a given that Ayana Taketatsu will have a voice in any show involving sisters?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4217

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
I'm curious... Was the choice to romanize his name as Syogo instead of Shogo due to something on the Japanese end? Because otherwise it's a tad bit odd.


That's because, in Japanese, it IS "Syogo". It would normaly be romanized as "Shogo" for some slightly complicated Linguistics reasons involving palatalization and allophonic distribution.

But in Japanese, his name is "Syogo".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Surrender Artist
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 01 May 2011
Posts: 2981
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I've been looking forward to these articles on ANN about the Summer season, if only to see the reactions. This is like the most otaku anime filled season in a long time, with very little for people who prefer more "Normal" anime.


Hopefully people who only watch casual stuff will lose interest and leave, leaving the true anime fans.


Why is it that some devotees of these kinds of shows are usually the ones to whip, "true fan," out? I might decry shows you like as, "bad," but I'll never try to disqualify you or excommunicate you. I am not the Pope of Otaku (Popetaku?) and I would never recognize one. Why not return the courtesy? Is being and 'anime fan' truly defined so narrowly and absolutely in your mind?

This is one of those things that make me wonder that if for some people, watching certain kinds of shows is about showing fealty as much as enjoying them.

Chagen46 wrote:
Etrien wrote:
I'm curious... Was the choice to romanize his name as Syogo instead of Shogo due to something on the Japanese end? Because otherwise it's a tad bit odd.


That's because, in Japanese, it IS "Syogo". It would normaly be romanized as "Shogo" for some slightly complicated Linguistics reasons involving palatalization and allophonic distribution.

But in Japanese, his name is "Syogo".


That's essentially true, but it stands out because of the inconsistency. His name is given in Kunrei-shiki, but the rest in Hepburn. Why Syogo, but not Konoe Turuma and Rinka Kunitati? It's unimportant and the points of difference few, but it is a curiousity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4217

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's essentially true, but it stands out because of the inconsistency. His name is given in Kunrei-shiki, but the rest in Hepburn. Why Syogo, but not Konoe Turuma and Rinka Kunitati? It's unimportant and the points of difference few, but it is a curiousity.


Yes, you're right about that...I've talked with some people about it and I've heard that the Japanese don't always romanize names correctly or really actually care that much sometimes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 7641

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yes, you're right about that...I've talked with some people about it and I've heard that the Japanese don't always romanize names correctly or really actually care that much sometimes.


The lack of anal retentiveness offends me. How dare they.

/sarcasm?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
njprogfan
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 495
Location: A River Named Toms

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Kissxsisx5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 12536
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Kissxsisx5


Actually, KissXSis had the hot teacher who is still a virgin, the twin-tailed Loli who liked to flash her panties and the busty glasses-wearing girl who peed herself a lot. So yeah, more like KissXSisx1, except this time there is a Russian Roulette aspect to it.

Hmm, five girls seems to be a popular number for Harem shows. Possibly inspired by Super-Sentai series?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4217

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, how hard is it for Syogo to check all the girls in the cast to see who has the most physical traits in common with him?

Or, shit, I dunno, ask a hospital or something? do these LN writers ever even THINK for more than two seconds so plot holes this ridiculously huge don't show up?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Splitter



Joined: 19 May 2003
Posts: 1181
Location: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
IT'S AWWWWWWWWWWWRIGHT!

Wait, no... no, it's not. The fact that it's in the title as well looks like a flag that whoever he chooses will be his little sister, because that's what is expected of a show like this, and because imouto otaku are weird.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
varmintx



Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 719
Location: Covington, KY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I've been looking forward to these articles on ANN about the Summer season, if only to see the reactions. This is like the most otaku anime filled season in a long time, with very little for people who prefer more "Normal" anime.
Hopefully people who only watch casual stuff will lose interest and leave, leaving the true anime fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Joe Carpenter



Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Posts: 261

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I prefer my little sisters to be hanging out with Big Daddies
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4034

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Why is it that some devotees of these kinds of shows are usually the ones to whip, "true fan," out? I might decry shows you like as, "bad," but I'll never try to disqualify you or excommunicate you. I am not the Pope of Otaku (Popetaku?) and I would never recognize one. Why not return the courtesy? Is being and 'anime fan' truly defined so narrowly and absolutely in your mind?

This is one of those things that make me wonder that if for some people, watching certain kinds of shows is about showing fealty as much as enjoying them.


To me, a true anime fans loves any kind of anime without resorting to the tired "anime is dead/dying/sucks/otakus smell" schtick. But I find there's a difference between an "anime fan" and "someone who just happens to watch anime". A little kid watching some 4Kids dub of Pocket Monsters or Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim I wouldn't put on the same level as I would someone who routinely watches 20+ shows each season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 31

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group