• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Summer 2012 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
A person who watches 20 shows a season is frighteningly unchoosy.
I have to admit that I wonder if calling myself an anime fan is really appropriate. Maybe I will just call myself an SF fan/elitist hipster who often posts on Anime News Network.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
These are the kind of shows that Oreimo makes fun of.

But the only real sis-con show I ever finished was Yosuga no Sora. It was the only harem I've watched that made the protagonist actually have balls and get some with every girl the show focused on, which is rare for most harems. That made it more realistic than just the main guy in any other generic harem being embarrassed and pushing the girls away from him when they got too close. The last arc focused on his sister, and it wasn't taken positively or "cute" at all by the atmosphere and especially not by the other characters. Yosuga no Sora left an unpleasent but strong impression nonetheless which I give it credit for unlike most harems I've seen in the past 3 years that feel very stale and lack any effort to push outside the standard atmosphere of a harem. I wouldn't recommend Yosuga no Sora, but I will say that it probably did sis-con harem right by showing how wrong it actually is instead of glorifying it like KissxKiss and possibly how this new show is going to be.

Last edited by Wakazhi on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
I have to admit that I wonder if calling myself an anime fan is really appropriate. Maybe I will just call myself an SF fan/elitist hipster who often posts on Anime News Network.

I watch like 25 anime a season (including long running stuff and stuff that carries over), and I don't think I'm really "unchoosy"... Theres just a lot of stuff that looks interesting to me. I don't watch stuff that doesn't look interesting to me.. either due to a bland art style, focus on male characters/bishounens or something that is really dark. But due to my tastes, most of the stuff that comes out is worth giving a try to.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Little Sister Roulette? When do we start playing! I am soooo ready!

Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:

But the only real sis-con show I ever finished was Yosuga no Sora. It was the only harem I've watched that made the protagonist actually have balls...

Oh he definitely had balls. So much that he let them roll onto the court for the girls to pick up and gett a turn to play with them.

I went too far, didn't I?

I always forget that Summer is a weak season. Although, this summer seems to have more harem shows than what I remember of last year's. Maybe it's to make up for the lack of harems in this year's previous seasons. I may have not noticed the harem anime lurking around from Spring and Winter though.

I'm not too bothered with the amount of harems this season, though. In fact, I actually look forward to watching them... and the ANN reviews.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:

20 is actually kind of low to be honest. You already have about 13 covered if you're watching returning shows like Detective Conan, Naruto, One Piece, Pocket Monsters Best Wishes, Fairy Tail, Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, Sket Dance, Doraemon, Shin-chan, Precure, Metal-Fight Beyblade, Cardfight Vanguard, Jewelpet, etc. Let alone all the 2+ cour shows from the previous season. By the time I start on truly new stuff it's already in the double digits.

Though you could say the opposite. If someone can't find much they like out of 30+ shows a season then that's extremely picky, and maybe they need to re-evaluate their position on being an anime fan.

Last edited by TitanXL on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Though you could say the opposite. If someone can't find something they like out of 30+ shows a season then that's extremely picky, and maybe they need to re-evaluate their position on being an anime fan.

I just don't see how people can't find at least one or two things to enjoy every season. You'd think with 30 new series every 3 months, there would be enough variety to suit all needs. No, it's not all going to be actiony wither supahcool doods piloting spessships pew pew pew kabloowie- there's always some kind of more adult anime in theme or tone, some sort of action, and lots of high school, be it comedy, romance, or pseudo-sexual. No, of course not every single show from every single season is going to be a 10/10, they never have been. Ever. I don't think people ever check dates on older titles, they just lump 1995-1999 in one basket without realizing some massive gaps exist between shows, or that there might only be one decent show in an entire season; and I don't mean "it's good and everything else is mediocre", but more along the lines of it being the only choice, everything else is for five year olds.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't think people ever check dates on older titles, they just lump 1995-1999 in one basket without realizing some massive gaps exist between shows, or that there might only be one decent show in an entire season; and I don't mean "it's good and everything else is mediocre", but more along the lines of it being the only choice, everything else is for five year olds.

http://i45.tinypic.com/qrnpmt.jpg

Check this 1993 anime season chart. People complain about the seasons these days, but how would you want to be stuck with 2 childrens anime for the entire Summer season?

Its far better now since there is no end to the amount of anime and like you said, there will be anime you're interested in if you look.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
To me, a true anime fans loves any kind of anime without resorting to the tired "anime is dead/dying/sucks/otakus smell" schtick. But I find there's a difference between an "anime fan" and "someone who just happens to watch anime". A little kid watching some 4Kids dub of Pocket Monsters or Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim I wouldn't put on the same level as I would someone who routinely watches 20+ shows each season.

And what's the value of being, "a true anime fan."

You seem to want anime fandom to be like the love of a child: unquestioning, unwavering and absolute. It’s a love that believes what it loves to be perfect and anything that says otherwise bad simply for having said so. That kind of love can’t be shared and can’t help anybody, because there’s nothing more to it than obsessive devotion. It’s wanting anime not to be something to appreciate and understand, but to cling to and be able to beat up the other kid’s dads.

The way that you believe it should manifest is distressing. It’s so divisive and exclusionary. It makes the point not common interest and camaraderie, to whatever extent and in whatever manner, but superiority and self-aggrandizement in the name of a single way and truth. More distressing than that, it’s an attitude with the sole purpose to create reasons for looking down upon others. It turns the point of it all away from the anime and toward people. It encourages confounding criticism of what we watch with whom we are and creating animus out of mere differences of opinion that should be harmless. Why do that?

Perhaps I simply cannot understand being comfortable with that attitude. I have struggle enough trying not to be to awful and following anything like principles on how I should treat others without having to worry about establishing who is better than whom else. More to the point: Who I’m better than. I thought as you did, I would worry a lot that ultimately I was trying to raise myself up; drawing the lines and hierarchies as I pleased so I could be at the top. Then I could only then wonder what I had done wrong or missed in life that I was reduced to that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shabaz92

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I've been looking forward to these articles on ANN about the Summer season, if only to see the reactions. This is like the most otaku anime filled season in a long time, with very little for people who prefer more "Normal" anime.

Hopefully people who only watch casual stuff will lose interest and leave, leaving the true anime fans.
Why would a 'true' anime fan want anyone to leave and lose interest? The less people that like and spend time/money on anime... well you should know the rest of the story.

Anyways the first show looks cute, and I'm interested to see just how much they play up the mystery of who the sister actually is(assuming they don't tell the viewer right away or something). Kinda hard to say much else about it until the first ep airs.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
ou seem to want anime fandom to be like the love of a child: unquestioning, unwavering and absolute. It’s a love that believes what it loves to be perfect and anything that says otherwise bad simply for having said so. That kind of love can’t be shared and can’t help anybody, because there’s nothing more to it than obsessive devotion. It’s wanting anime not to be something to appreciate and understand, but to cling to and be able to beat up the other kid’s dads.

What one appreciates is subjective. Apparently, lots of people do appreciate the novelty and freedom these shows offer. No other visual medium out there could tell stories revolving around, in this instance, incest, like anime can. A lot of people find that freedom and uniqueness admirable, apparently.

Quote:
The way that you believe it should manifest is distressing. It’s so divisive and exclusionary. It makes the point not common interest and camaraderie, to whatever extent and in whatever manner, but superiority and self-aggrandizement in the name of a single way and truth. More distressing than that, it’s an attitude with the sole purpose to create reasons for looking down upon others. It turns the point of it all away from the anime and toward people. It encourages confounding criticism of what we watch with whom we are and creating animus out of mere differences of opinion that should be harmless. Why do that?

I think the main problem is all the people who dismiss things without even watching a single episode first. How do they know they won't like something if they don't watch it first? If someone won't even watch it before judging it then they're not very open minded, and to be honest, their opinion is completely worthless. The ones who stop and say "Tch, a show about a magical girl, who would like this garbage? It can't possibly be good". Why would I listen to someone if they've never seen something? With a medium like anime, where the sky is the limit and the industry and fan-base is so open minded, the people who want to label themselves fans have to at least do the same.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this thread isn't even a day old and already it's dead to me. Way to crap it up with the "You're not a true fan" routine again.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
Anyone claiming to be a "true fan" is just trying to make themselves appear better than everyone else. It rarely works.

We're all here to have fun, guys. So have fun and don't actively try to ruin anyone else's fun.

Anyways, here's hoping for an incest end! If nothing else the doujinshi that will result from the series should be good Twisted Evil
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
TitanXL, I surrender. I think that we are incapable of communicating. From my perspective, the message that I tried, although I wasn't sure it was right, to convey might have been received, but was left unopened. There are pleasanter reasons to send myself to the bottom of a glass of armagnac. All I have left is to say that you don't have to satisfy me to call yourself what you like and advise you to tread carefully while looking inward now and again, lest you some day find yourself presiding over some anime equivalent of The John Birch Society.

For the sake of the thread and collective sanity, of true fans and false alike, it's probably best that the question be left to rest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
Etrien wrote:
I'm curious... Was the choice to romanize his name as Syogo instead of Shogo due to something on the Japanese end? Because otherwise it's a tad bit odd.

Considering it's clearly written as Syogo on the PV during the character introductions, I'd say it's completely on the Japanese side.

Haha, well, I guess that's what I get for only reading the summary and checking the official website, instead of just watching the trailer. Wink But yeah, I was assuming it must've been written out that way somewhere on the Japanese side.

Chagen46 wrote:
Etrien wrote:
I'm curious... Was the choice to romanize his name as Syogo instead of Shogo due to something on the Japanese end? Because otherwise it's a tad bit odd.

That's because, in Japanese, it IS "Syogo". It would normaly be romanized as "Shogo" for some slightly complicated Linguistics reasons involving palatalization and allophonic distribution.

But in Japanese, his name is "Syogo".

You're not talking to someone unfamiliar with the subject matter. Wink And for the record, his name in Japanese is just as much "Shogo" as it is "Syogo". (As well as "Shougo", "Shohgo", "Shōgo", "Syōgo", etc, etc.) In Japan, there isn't much consensus on which style should be followed, so they're all used somewhat at random. (Although Hepburn is still the most dominant.) Writing しょう as syo IS valid as Japanese romaji.

However, the real underlying issue is that more often than not, people writing in romaji are trying to write "in English". And English speaking countries use, almost exclusively, Hepburn-based systems. But the typical Japanese person doesn't know that. Would an English speaker write しょう as Syo or Sho? They don't know, so they just pick one. The chaotic, mixed romanization is typically more a result of "not knowing any better" than anything else.

Syo is an accurate Japanese romanization, much like Syonen Zyanpu is also accurate Japanese romanization. But neither could really be called English. Those would be Sho and Shonen Jump(/Janpu), respectively. (Although Shonen, Shōnen, and Shounen would all be acceptable, because English vowel usage hasn't consolidated into just a single style yet. But English consonant usage has.)

So, my question wasn't "why would the Japanese write Syo", it was why it was written as Syo on an English website when such things are usually "fixed" in translation. Razz And I was speculating that it might have been pushed by the Japanese side, a la "Arucard".

(As an aside specific to this exact translation, the character used in his name, 将, is the exact same Sho/Syo used in the word "Shogun". Which, I think we could all agree, is standardized as "Shogun" rather than "Syogun".)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 31