• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funny/embarrassing anime-con stories?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoKurosaki13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
i want to know what everybody's funny/embarrassing anime convention stories are. when i was at SDCC 2011 i was cosplaying as hollow ichigo and i had to fix my sword chain and i accidentally ended up hitting someone with the blade (good thing it was wooden).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Oy.........I've got a pretty good one.

Otakon 2010, there was a small fire and they pulled the alarm. Of course everyone thought it was a joke at first but it wasn't. Everyone
had to evacuate the building.

Now, this is Otakon. The biggest anime convention on the Eastern side of the US. We're talking 30,000 otaku, minimum. And...yeah. Chaos. Lol. Once everyone was outside, two, not one but TWO effing PEDOBEARS started chasing me around in my Mitsuki cosplay. (it doesn't help that I really do look about 14 years old.) And my friend didn't help me at all-he just stood there laughing with everyone else.

DAT ASSHOLE. Twisted Evil

Fortunately, the fire incident only set us back about an hour behind schedule. Being the last ones out, we were the closest to going back in so we were able to grab great seats for the Gurren Lagann movie, which was epic. So I guess it was a blessing in disguise. Anime hyper

There was another Otakon story-and I'm sorry I missed it but apparently someone in a Chocobo cosplay got stuck in a door. Anime hyper
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Otakon 2010 was my first anime convention...Good times. Very Happy

[EDIT: Please don't excessively quote. Only quote relevant parts of a larger text when the situation really calls for it. If your reply is to appear directly underneath, then there's no need to quote an entire post. Simply put "@user" or just reply. -TK]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so you were evacuated too? Anime hyper
That year was really a disaster for me and my friends.
*shakes head*
Murphy's Law.....completely.

[EDIT: Please don't excessively quote. Only quote relevant parts of a larger text when the situation really calls for it. If your reply is to appear directly underneath, then there's no need to quote an entire post. Simply put "@user" or just reply. -TK]
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. I had just sat down so I could try & figure out which panel I was going to go to next when a second later the alarm went off. So I wound up going to a restaurant (I forget the name) & had lunch. Laughing

Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
HAHA REALLY!? That's what WE did too!
I bet we saw each other in passing. Anime hyper

hakojo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Otakon 2010, there was a small fire and they pulled the alarm. Of course everyone thought it was a joke at first but it wasn't. Everyone
had to evacuate the building.

I was there too - to me, the most amusing part about the whole thing was MC Micro (from Home Made Kazoku) berating whoever pulled the alarm on his blog covering the event because of how dangerous and inconvenient it was to everyone. What a nice guy :3

As for embarrassing stories...

This past ColossalCon, I decided to sign up for the In-Character Cosplay Contest, mostly for fun and to give myself something to do on Friday night. The cosplay I'd already planned to wear that entire day was Faith Connors, the heroine from the game Mirror's Edge, so I decided to just go with that and come up with a little routine to perform. Basically I would run up on stage with my bag, have a shootout with some imaginary CPF officers, and then leave the bag and run off the stage again. It all went pretty smoothly until I tripped while making my exit and basically fell flat on my face in front of a huge room full of people.

The judges were extremely nice about it, trying to play it off like it was intentional, and even though I wanted to go curl up in a hole and die at the time, eventually I was laughing about it - the group of people I was rooming with now refers to the incident as the "Faithplant" Razz
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Confession time - I invented Pepsi Gundam at Katsucon 2001.

It was my very first anime convention since I started watching anime in earnest August the previous year. Many of the friends I rode up there with were serious cosplayers, and I had nothing save for street clothes. I had been to computer hacker conventions, but no one there put on a costume, so I felt a combination of bewilderment over a seemingly silly exercise and being out of place without a costume.

After we had unloaded our luggage and my friends were finishing their costume assembly, I noticed two square boxes of 12 oz. sodas, Pepsi and Mountain Dew lying on the carpet. As everyone started to leave, I got an idea. I took out all of the Pepsi cans and set them on the nightstand. I then found a piece of notebook paper and, with someone's red magic market, wrote on it in capital letters:

I AM A GUNDAM

I found some tape, taped the sign to the box, and then cut out some holes for my eyes and mouth. I then slid the box on my head, and before I knew it, everyone was stopping me for a picture.

Unless you've worn something all-encapsulating on your head, you just can't appreciate the opportunity to duck out somewhere just to have a chance to breathe normally.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
At Eville-con 2012, I got arrested by these "Cops" for stealing my twin sisters Identify (I got arrested for looking exactly like my twin sister) and my friend got arrested for stalking her (my twin sister) all day even though we brought her a long. Turns out my twin sister paid them 5 bucks to come and arrest both of us. (They weren't real cops they were just Cosplay cops that were part of this Anti Zombie group.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1