• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Anime's 2-Hour Nami Special to Air in August

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
So this will basically be a re-telling of her backstory and how she met the crew, like with the 9th One Piece movie (about Chopper)?

What I want to know is, is Funi subbing it? I hope so. If not, I'll have to make sure to tune in live via KeyHoleTV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Arekusei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

I'm sorry... did we watch/read the same Arlong Park arc? Because I have no idea how the words you are typing make any kind of logical sense.

It seems that you guys have difficulties to tell backstory episodes from fighting episodes apart. Combat in Arlong Park was great, but episodes about how Arlong came to the isle were boring.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
But this isn't about how Arlong came to Cocoyashi village. That was shown just a few months ago in the anime. This is about what Arlong does while in control of Cocoyashi village. Which was shown about... 500 episodes ago or so.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
The Arlong Park arc was the first of many times that One Piece brought me to tears, so this should be a real treat.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
One Piece was never really about the action more so than the journey, IMHO. I can understand wanting more straight-up shounen action, but I fail to see how any back story in One Piece is boring. It's part of what makes the build up to the eventual confrontations so much more emotionally satisfying. There's plenty of other shounen manga out there that fills the gap for constant action. I believe that's what sets One Piece apart from the rest if you like it or not.

Hody Jones is more or less an Arlong clone spiked up with steroids (literally). I can see how expectations were set low after the War for Marineford, but that's a really tough act to follow unless Oda wanted to end the manga sooner than expected. My guess is he's saving the best for last.
Zopyros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:30 am Reply with quote
One Piece is more than just a fighting, action series with hot girls. My god, people who just care for that, in my eyes are dumb*sses.

Oda is doing a fine job with One Piece, Fishman Island arc is great, it explains a lot about Arlong, Hody and many other of the characters and the island. But oh sorry, some people don't like reading and don't tend to notice any mysterious that come arise because there too stupid to see it.

There's no reason to bash on Fishman Island, Nami or Arlong Park. Great arcs and a great character. If you want ''no reason hack and slash'' go watch Bleach.

One Piece has an incredible story. There's a reason it's the most selling manga of all time and the reason of it's popularity. Oda's put a lot of stuff into this, regardless of just fighting scenes. It shows racism, hatred, emotion, politics along with the comedy side and action side. The manga basically involves everything I can think off.

To me, when people bash One Piece or it's arcs, either just hate the series for no apparent reason (Yet still to see a reason why people on here are even bashing it.) or are just jealous of the series and don't like a good story.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote
Arekusei wrote:
Not so fast - while it true that Fisherman Island arc was boring, one cannot tell the same about current arc. Its actually very good so far. It has Smoker in it as well as few other good characters. It happens on Vegapunks old laboratory(and Vegapunk will probably play one of most important role ending of manga). Only minus point so far was the samurai who probably gonne be new member of the team. I don't really like him yet.

Well... I can, actually. I've mostly been bored so far. I can't help but feel that Oda completely flubbed Smoker's grand return, which should have been glorious but ended up 'meh'. I don't think the samurai will join them, if it makes you feel better. He doesn't look like Straw Hat material to me. Anyway, the main thing I actually enjoyed so far in Punk Hazard was the Straw Hats being made to swap bodies for some lulz. Unfortunately, that got boring too due to Oda's severe miscalculation as to how many chapters he could legitimately revolve around this single joke. Just to say, the correct answer was one.

ZoRo99 wrote:
thinking that samurai is gonna join is retarded there have been no prove of it yet also i don't think fishmen island was bad it was good not great but still good people expected this arc to be like whitebeard war arc which was not going to be the case this arc was good for beginning arc of new world and timeskip and if u compare it naruto shippuden first 2 arc and bleach full bringer arc then fishmen island was the best out of the big 3 beginning arc of timeskip now things are getting crazy and crazy by chapters in punk hazard

Oh, so it was better than what was running in Naruto and Bleach at the time? Well, I guess that counts for... something?

MasterKingJC wrote:
While I will say that I personally don't like Hody Jones, I can't say he was a lame villian. When Fukaboshi asked Hody "what did humans ever do to you" and he replied with "nothing", he instantly became a good villian in my eyes, because he was completely different than past villains.

He had no motivation, he wasn't out for revenge, he didn't suffer any emotional trauma, or sad past. That's just how he was raised. He was fed racial hatred since he was a child. And given the fact that there are so many people in the real world who think and act just like Hody (racial supremacy, anti-immigration, KKK, etc.) makes me think that Oda was intentionally trying to convey a message about raising children in harsh, prejudice environments.

I found him to be a lame villain because he failed in my eyes to be any kind of threat. I just couldn't take him seriously. I mean, the battle with him practically concluded with everyone just going 'Ah well, he sucked and was phony, let's go home'. He failed to stand out, both in terms of personality and design (has Oda ever drawn such a non-descript villain?). It just doesn't bode well when I actually kept on forgetting he existed in the weeks between chapters (I kept on thinking that Vander Decken was the villain early on. Probably because I could remember him. He was much more distinct.

ZoRo99 wrote:
dude that was the main reason of fish men island arc ,fishman island explored themes like the evils of racism, prejudice, politics, change versus tradition. but there are people who simply ignored the themes and call this arc boring i personally like it because the issue needed to be pushed in this arc and evils of racism is rare them in shonen genre but there are people who are gonna overlook the themes of it so don't waste on ur time on those retards by explaining the themes to them

Oh yeah, I totally missed the themes while Oda was stabbing them in my eye. One Piece is a serious political tract and people don't 'get it' are retards. One Piece fans really are the new Evangelion fans, aren't they? Except worse.

(I really wish this forum had multiquote...)
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
nothing like a one piece thread to bring out the best in everyone.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
They'll probably add in some scenes with Arlong remembering his days with Jinbei and Fish Tiger just for some character development. They did that with Robin in the 7th movie, and just like in the recent filler episodes of Naruto that were set in the pre-Shippuden period.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Bob from Accounting wrote:

MasterKingJC wrote:
While I will say that I personally don't like Hody Jones, I can't say he was a lame villian. When Fukaboshi asked Hody "what did humans ever do to you" and he replied with "nothing", he instantly became a good villian in my eyes, because he was completely different than past villains.

He had no motivation, he wasn't out for revenge, he didn't suffer any emotional trauma, or sad past. That's just how he was raised. He was fed racial hatred since he was a child. And given the fact that there are so many people in the real world who think and act just like Hody (racial supremacy, anti-immigration, KKK, etc.) makes me think that Oda was intentionally trying to convey a message about raising children in harsh, prejudice environments.

I found him to be a lame villain because he failed in my eyes to be any kind of threat. I just couldn't take him seriously. I mean, the battle with him practically concluded with everyone just going 'Ah well, he sucked and was phony, let's go home'. He failed to stand out, both in terms of personality and design (has Oda ever drawn such a non-descript villain?). It just doesn't bode well when I actually kept on forgetting he existed in the weeks between chapters (I kept on thinking that Vander Decken was the villain early on. Probably because I could remember him. He was much more distinct.

Well, that's your own personal opinion, but the only people Hody was a clear threat to was everyone except the Straw Hats. Because, you know, when they just come back from two years of training, the main protagonists shouldn't have to struggle in earlier battles afterwards. That's just common sense. As for Hody not standing out and being a "non-descript" villain, that's really your opinion, or could just be a severe memory disorder, possibly agnosia.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I guess Oda's running out of arcs if they're doing recaps now.

I've not enjoyed One Piece for a long time, I found that the side characters were alot more interesting than the mains. Id happily read a manga about Brook.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

I suggest you read the entire article.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
erm, brook is one of the main characters, he's a member of the straw hats.

MasterKingJC wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

I suggest you read the entire article.

its a copy of a comment i made in the naruto thread, they couldnt be bothered to disagree with me in that thread so they just came in here to blindly attack one piece like i have some personal investment in it or somthing. its like kids having console wars but with manga lol.

For the record i rerally liked naruto when it began and i even regained a bit of interest during the pain arc but it kinda copped out at the end of that and I've been drifing in and out of it since then. But no amount copying my posts is gonna change how i feel about anything so go nuts.
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Well, that's your own personal opinion, but the only people Hody was a clear threat to was everyone except the Straw Hats. Because, you know, when they just come back from two years of training, the main protagonists shouldn't have to struggle in earlier battles afterwards. That's just common sense. As for Hody not standing out and being a "non-descript" villain, that's really your opinion, or could just be a severe memory disorder, possibly agnosia.

Since I can individually remember pretty much every Baroque Works agent, I don't think there's anything wrong with my memory. Damn, Baroque Works are cool.

Anyway, it does make sense for Oda to want to show off the Straw Hats new prowess, but Fishman Island was too long to justify that as a purpose. A cakewalk enemy shouldn't take up so much time. It's like an RPG giving every damn little monster a metric tonne of extra forms, instead of just the final boss. The fact that 'they're stronger now' should, could have (and I think was) established in a chapter or two. The amount of time awarded to these stop-gap gits is ridiculous. It's the Davy Back Fight all over again. Except that arc was funny.

And the point about Hody being a threat to everyone but the Straw Hats is not a good defense. An antagonist should pose a threat to the protagonist, otherwise they've fundamentally failed in their role. Anyway, the arcs where it's directly the protagonists problems are much better. By the time we got to Alabasta, we knew and loved Vivi as practically one of the crew, which is why we actually cared about the rebellion that threatened her nation. So much more so than in the typical 'Straw Hats show up and solve all the strangers' problems' arcs. The same goes for the rest of the series' best arcs, Arlong Park, Water Seven and Impel Down. I mean, with the latter, it's so much more compelling when the hero's trying to save his beloved brother than somw townsfolk he's know for like five minutes (I would include Whitebeard War as one of those but it wastes the potential by being a gigantic clusterfudge with a high intake of Buggy the Clown as the main mitigating factor).
Arekusei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Bob from Accounting wrote:
(I would include Whitebeard War as one of those but it wastes the potential by being a gigantic clusterfudge with a high intake of Buggy the Clown as the main mitigating factor).

Hey dont badmouth Buggy. He is probably a shichibukai by now already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4