• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Shoten Reportedly Says April Haruhi is Rerun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
In that case somebody would be to blame for having a crappy PR representative. Either way we got trolled either yesterday or today.

It's a magazine cover. The English-speaking internet went with it and started assuming things and is now disappointed there are indications that those assumptions may be wrong. I don’t see how anyone could honestly blame Kadokawa's public relations department for this.
Jarmel wrote:
Is KyoAni even doing a show in the spring as it seems that they would have announced it by now?

It's unknown how long Munto will be (as far as I know), although one cour seems likely. In any case, not every animation studio produces a show a season and we don’t know KyoAni’s production schedule. Many also do contract work either intermittently or concurrently. In fact, KyoAni has been mostly a subcontractor since 1981 and only recently started being the primary animation production studio. Lastly, it's not uncommon for anime to be announced on short notice. Basically, we don't know.^^
Jarmel wrote:
Oh and I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you about S2 airing after S1, they would have probably put that on the cover instead of the re-airing and the representative said that they had nothing to announce which pretty much means this is just a re-airing and that's it.

"Reportedly" says. It could be a re-airing. It could be a second season. Honestly, I don't really care. I'll know when this issue of Newtype comes out.

Last edited by Draneor on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:58 am; edited 4 times in total
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
pparker wrote:
If S2 isn't great, it will fall like lead whereas for example, shows like the lesser Zero no Tsukaima pushing out seasons rapidly can overcome a second-season slump.

Except that those subsequent seasons were definitely lacking compared to the first, even if they were out soon after each other.

Yeah, that wasn't clear. No disagreement on quality. I meant as a business decision. Even if the second season of Haruhi wasn't up to the first, the amount of hype would have overcome the drop in quality. It would have kept the fandom frothing, and would have funded a third season regardless.

I'm not arguing, or wanting, a drop in quality. If it takes them 4 years to come up with a script as good as the first one, so be it. I'm just curious why it would take that long, and think they sort of shot themselves in the foot for waiting from a business standpoint.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Super_Vegeta wrote:
I'm not anyway near as hardcore as a lot of people here (in terms of digging up obscure information) and I saw this coming from a mile away.

Considering how popular this series was if they had really been planning on air a Season 2. They would have annouced it as "Haruhi Season 2" or Dissappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya," or "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2"

Not "Haruhi Suzumiya TV Anime Reportedly to Relaunch in April."

First off, "reportedly" and "RE-launch" should be immediate flags to let people know not to jump the gun.

Anyway that said, I too am dissapointed that this won't be season 2.

Don't forget the timing, its supposed to premiere the same time as FMA 2 but that was announced months ago, not 4 months before it airs. Theirs isn't enough time for buildup for such an epic event.

That's FMA. KyoAni has a record as of late of announcing the air date of their projects a month or two before they're set to broadcast. Hell, look at After Story and Munto.

That said, why in God's name would Newtype run something so completely pointless as a rerun on their cover page?
houkoholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

That said, why in God's name would Newtype run something so completely pointless as a rerun on their cover page?

Newtype is owned by Kadokawa, who in turns owns the entire Haruhi franchise. Stirring up news like this is a perfectly logical marketing tactic.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
such a good show not doing a s2
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
The English-speaking internet went with it and started assuming things and is now disappointed there are indications that those assumptions may be wrong. I don’t see how anyone could honestly blame Kadokawa's public relations department for this.

To the English-speaking internet's credit, the Japanese were duped just as much and had more or less the same reactions :X

-Tofu
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
What I want to know is, what order will it be re-broadcast in?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm pissed a little, I was really hopping for a second season... However I have to say this...

In the world of anime you know it's a slow news month when the cover story is about re-runs.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
It's offical, KyoAni is secretly Gonzo in disguise.

They bait us with stuff that isn't awful and BAM! Awful up the jacksy.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
...Epic. Fail.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
KyoAni is like the yandere in the animation studio harem; she SEEMS loving and doting and doormattish, making you dinner and drawing you moe and selling you obscure merchandise, but she's actually cruel and manipulative and derives joy from your sorrow! (Which is why the winning girl should always be the tsundere GAINAX, who is at least honest about how much she hates our guts.) [/horrible analogy]

On another note, I don't see why people are getting so upset and worried because of how long they've been waiting for the second series. Remember that animation is a long and expensive creative process-- they're not going to just whip up a series like Haruhi in a week and put it on TV. These things take lots of time for careful planning and creation. (Gurren Lagann took seven years, and I don't know how long they were working on the first Haruhi series before it ever saw the light of day, but somehow I doubt it was done overnight.)

I mean, I've been waiting for Disney's Rapunzel for four or five years now. Smile Rome wasn't built in a day; that's just how art (and especially a big-budget animation project) is.

-edit for grammar.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
It's a magazine cover. The English-speaking internet went with it and started assuming things and is now disappointed there are indications that those assumptions may be wrong. I don’t see how anyone could honestly blame Kadokawa's public relations department for this.

Yea as Tofu said, the Japanese were just as duped as we were so it's not just us misunderstanding. So you're telling me that Kadokawa could not once in the commercial or on the cover could just mention that it is a re-airing instead of relaunching? This was obviously done to purposefuly mislead people for higher sales.

As for Munto it doesn't seem that animator intensive that it would take up the whole studio but who knows. Maybe they'll do a Little Buster in the summer or the fall and god knows when Haruhi S2 is coming. To be honest if KyoAni or Kadokawa don't want to make a S2 they should just straight out say it instead of toying with us like this. If they do then wtf have they been doing? From an economic point of view this makes no sense. The more I think about it the more it makes sense that the author either doesn't want to make more Haruhi novels(I think he did some other book last year) or he's hit a creative roadblock and can't finish. KyoAni or Kadokawa don't want to do another season when it seems that they can't finish the story as after we get the second season we'll want a third until the anime catches up with the novels.

Once again either the PR guy today was wrong or the cover is misleading. Either way we got trolled.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
No longer your waifu. Laughing
("How to Stop Loving an Anime Character")

Doctor Worm wrote:
Much of the delay is because they're trying to come up with a dance that tops S1's ED dance.

... don't think I'm being sarcastic either. Anime cry

No Single Ladies! Twisted Evil

Dargonxtc wrote:
What I want to know is, what order will it be re-broadcast in?

Backwards, just to spice things up. Laughing
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
So you're telling me that Kadokawa could not once in the commercial or on the cover could just mention that it is a re-airing instead of relaunching? This was obviously done to purposefuly mislead people for higher sales.

Because this pretty much has to be pointed out every time... it isn't like these magazines are bought entirely sight unseen. The details will leak on to the net a couple days before. Also, it used to be that you could flip through Newtype before buying it.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh and it's not the first time those bampots have done it ether, a few months back (maybe even a year ago) they caused a stir by having "HARUHI RETURNS!" on the frount cover of a newtype.

Bugger knows what that was about, but it wasn't about Vanishment, let me tell you that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5