• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Shoten Reportedly Says April Haruhi is Rerun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:32 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
The same people who scramble episodes of a series and get everyone to believe this is the most brilliant thing since the orgasm.

Right... I need to call Quentin and tell him to re-edit Pulp Fiction because it doesn't play in chronological order and that apparently puts some people off, regardless of the artistic effect on the viewer he was intending to achieve.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
The same people who scramble episodes of a series and get everyone to believe this is the most brilliant thing since the orgasm.

Right... I need to call Quentin and tell him to re-edit Pulp Fiction because it doesn't play in chronological order and that apparently puts some people off, regardless of the artistic effect on the viewer he was intending to achieve.

You are assuming that when Kyoani animated Haruhi, that they already knew which order the show was going to be broadcast in. However according to interviews that have been published, the broadcast order decision was made late in the process.
For all intensive purposes the people creating the show assumed it would be shown in chronological order.

Using you analogy, it'd be more like if Quentin filmed pulp fiction, edit it how he wanted, and then the studio executives went and mixed everything up because they thought it would be cool and told quentin to record a few extra linking scenes.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
pparker wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

You are assuming that when Kyoani animated Haruhi, that they already knew which order the show was going to be broadcast in. However according to interviews that have been published, the broadcast order decision was made late in the process.
For all intensive purposes the people creating the show assumed it would be shown in chronological order.

Using you analogy, it'd be more like if Quentin filmed pulp fiction, edit it how he wanted, and then the studio executives went and mixed everything up because they thought it would be cool and told quentin to record a few extra linking scenes.

My point was simply that the order is determined from an artistic viewpoint. It's up to the individual to like it or not. Chronological is not better than other ordering by definition. I happen to think the original broadcast order is superior for the effect it creates. And I would even label brilliant the first episode being the club movie.

Apparently so did a lot of others, given that intense pressure was brought to bear on the Japanese to allow the R1 LE's of MoSh to include a duplicate set of discs in the original broadcast order--which was denied the Japanese DVD buyers at the time (don't know if that's changed).

I wasn't aware of differences between creative entities as to the order, but it wouldn't make any difference. In Quentin's case, the re-editing would have been disastrous. In other cases, editing has improved a director's movie, auteur opinion notwithstanding.
Shuichi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Source: Canned Dogs
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Milking the cash cow a bit more in this economy seems like a good idea to me Smile

From the scans posted, that's all it is.
larethian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
There are several existing ways in which the series is ordered:
novel order, chronological order, and the anime (s1) order.

A "rerun" could mean a re-ordering followed by s2. Or better yet, with inserts of the chapters that were not adapted into the anime. Such as "endless 8", one of my favourites, which takes place during summer vacation as well.

Personally I would prefer watching in a chronological order Smile.

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi:Timeline

http://www.haruhi.tv/schedule.html
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
Which is what the manga does also. It makes more sense to be getting the story in chronological order, because then you're able to follow up on stuff. When I watched the series the way it was portrayed, it was confusing and I was having to put the pieces together of a puzzle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5