• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shaman King Under Strain

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'm so completely sad... Sad
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:32 am Reply with quote
I seem to remember the same thing happening to Togashi's Hunter x Hunter not too long ago. What the heck's up with Shueisha anyway?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:07 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I think that everyone, regardless of whether they like Shaman king or not, should sign. I mean *I* would sign a form like that for almost *any* manga, just cos I know that there's gonna be a lota sad people if it stopped. Unless of course it was something like Evil's Return.

Reactions like this are the reason e-petitions don't work.

If 100,000 people sign the petition and then Shueisha sells 10,000 copies of the tankoubon, they'll never act on a e-petition again. They'll probably also be soured in general on other sorts of fan mobilizations as well.

A few years ago 10,000 people signed a petition for Dragonball Uncut (From Viz), thing is, Viz only sold 2,000 copies.

Basicly, as it is, no one puts much stock in e-petitions because things like this have already happenned, but signing a petition for a product you don't intend to buy just makes the problem worse.

Further reading: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.htm
chibilee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I would sign a petition like that because I'm a huge fan of Shaman King and would love to see all volumes released.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:29 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Regarding this being the last volume, I'm not particularly sure its what Hiroyuki Takei intended to be the last volume. Serialization was suspended in Shonen Jump, so this is probably the last volume of material that was published, and knowing that it was the last volume Takei may have thrown together a closing chapter (as was done for Gunnm when it was first cancelled). But, if I'm correct, it is still essentially mid series...

-t

This is true, but on the other hand, if we can't have the ending as is was meant to be, it would be nice to at least know where the mangaka was going with it, even if it is truncated. If it just stops in the middle, it can be the most frustrating thing ever (Speaking from experience, as I'm an obsessive Twin Peaks fan.)
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say Manta is the Jar Jar of the series... I like it better for having him in it. If he wasn't present, it'd be just another kids with superpowers battling for stuff comic. With him in it, it's unusual, because it's kids with powers as seen and felt through the eyes of a powerless kid... which is interesting because it doesn't force the unusual as the norm in the world of Shaman King.

On the other hand... I think that Hiroyuki Takei must have done something to annoy his editors, because there is no reason that something of at least that amount of fame wouldn't have just the last volume printed. I also feel bad for Mr. Takei, as he has a family to support and has always been one of my favorite people in the Manga world...

I'm going to write in my support. If you can, please do so as well.[/quote]

Manta gets way too little credit just because of his weird character design. I really like him because he adds an important charecter point to Yoh, giving him a friend to fight for, and more importantly, he's a Dr. Watson character-IE, the average guy who tells the story despite being the sidekick,and who offsets the amazing feats of the protaganist so the reader doesen't become jaded to them. It's one of the most important and overlooked types in fiction. Go Manta!

One thing that bugs me about this story-it says seralization "adruptly" stopped. Does this mean that Takei didn't even get a chance to finish up the story? Man, that would royally stink if after all those years they just had the series removed from Jump altogether with no ending. Does anyone know if it was simply canceled with no resolution or did Takei at least have a chance to throw together a quick ending? (Anna wakes up and goes to the shower, only to find Yoh is in there already, and he tells her good morning and informs her that the entire series was a dream and no one ever shot JR)

Sheushia must not care much about long-term customer loyalty to do this. Why would anyone follow any Jump series if there's the chance it would just end after many years with no resolution? I mean, how would you feel if they suddenly announced last week's episode of Naruto was the last one ever and the next-episode preview was a practical joke?
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Could this be just a publicity stant to boost sales?

Last edited by Proman on Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:34 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Regarding this being the last volume, I'm not particularly sure its what Hiroyuki Takei intended to be the last volume. Serialization was suspended in Shonen Jump, so this is probably the last volume of material that was published, and knowing that it was the last volume Takei may have thrown together a closing chapter (as was done for Gunnm when it was first cancelled). But, if I'm correct, it is still essentially mid series...

-t

Very few Shonen Jump series end "well" is the consensus a lot of us have come up with. They rather just run a series into the ground and get as much out of it as possible until either the fans break completely away from it or the mangaka tosses in the towel. There's some speculation that this is one of those crafty marketing techniques to try and induce some new sales into the manga since it has been going for some time and has either plateaued or dropped off. But the mangaka being tired of the project and the stress of the SJ editors is probably more likely, especially after the anime ended up canceled and a lot of the merchandising has gone downhill since.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:19 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
championferret wrote:
I think that everyone, regardless of whether they like Shaman king or not, should sign. I mean *I* would sign a form like that for almost *any* manga, just cos I know that there's gonna be a lota sad people if it stopped. Unless of course it was something like Evil's Return.

A few years ago 10,000 people signed a petition for Dragonball Uncut (From Viz), thing is, Viz only sold 2,000 copies.

Yeah but Viz still sells the Dragon Ball graphic novels uncut, at least to my knowledge.
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Yeah but Viz still sells the Dragon Ball graphic novels uncut, at least to my knowledge.

HAHAHAHAHHA!!!! Err...I mean, have you actually read it? An attack with the word "Hell" in it was changed into "Inferno Blaster". And Mr. Satan has become, once again, "Hercule". Doesn't sound uncut to me.
Also, the original source of the AnimeNewsNetwork story says that they will accept english entries if the name and adress are correct(AKA no Hercule Satan living in Hell, New Jersey).
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:16 am Reply with quote
Anti-Mainstreamist wrote:
UltimaShadowfax wrote:

HAHAHAHAHHA!!!! Err...I mean, have you actually read it? An attack with the word "Hell" in it was changed into "Inferno Blaster". And Mr. Satan has become, once again, "Hercule". Doesn't sound uncut to me.
Also, the original source of the AnimeNewsNetwork story says that they will accept english entries if the name and adress are correct(AKA no Hercule Satan living in Hell, New Jersey).

Technically speaking it IS uncut, since no footage or scene has been taken out. The corrent term for this is word censorship, which Viz was smart to do and work around the system.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Anti-Mainstreamist wrote:

By all means, if you live in North America and expect to buy the manga, sign the petition.

Perhaps if you're only planning on buying the North American release when it comes out, and not importing the Japanese manga, you should specify it in the comment box.

Just don't sign if you have no intention of buying either.

-t
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I intend to do both.
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:36 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

First line is your name.
Second line is your address.
The box is for comments.

I'm wondering.
Your poetic translation,
Was it accidental?

:p
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:26 pm Reply with quote
You seem to be missing a syllable in that first line Twage, and have one too many in the last.

Numbered syllables,
In that post above my own,
order matters not?

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3