• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Salmon Fishing in the Milky Way

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Big fan of both Madoka and Tsuritama, I was pleased to see them both get favorable reviews. Hardly a surprise where Madoka's concerned, though. Anime catgrin

I was wanting to check out NieA_7 just the other day - Haibane Renmei's recent comeback reminded me - but sadly the box set is OOP and going for over $100 now. (Or maybe it was over $100 to begin with? It is a Pioneer release...) At any rate, it seems right up my alley but I've never gotten the chance to watch it. Hrm.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
You really didn't like this spring season,now did you.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
If I might add to the Gundam Unicorn comparison for Broken Blade;

I might be the only way to prefer Broken Blade/ Break Blade over Unicorn because it's at least trying something different while taking things from other shows and medium. Unicorn feels like I've seen this before. 0079 comes to mind numerous times when I watch it.

I liked the barren landscapes because it set things apart from most series. I recall in one scene, they actually use that to their advantage. The music I actually thought defined the show.

I haven't read the manga that far but from what I understand, there is a lot of plot divergences in the later films to the point where the ending is entirely original to the films as the manga is still ongoing.

Your issue with Cleo is actually a simple. She graduated after two years (supposedly, some child prodigy) when it normally takes 6.

My only issue is that films give no conclusion to the war. It just seemingly ends.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
You really didn't like this spring season,now did you.

That's not true! I was looking forward to a lot of stuff this season, like Kids on the Slope and Space Brothers. They've been kind of disappointing, but not like, massively disappointing. I was down on the first half of Kuroko's Basketball, but I think I'll like the second half of the series a lot more.

Lynx Amali wrote:
I might be the only way to prefer Broken Blade/ Break Blade over Unicorn because it's at least trying something different while taking things from other shows and medium.

My husband would agree with you. I didn't include it in my review, because it's supposed to be about my opinion, but Noah really liked Broken Blade and kept saying he thought it was Shelf Worthy all the way.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

I was wanting to check out NieA_7 just the other day - Haibane Renmei's recent comeback reminded me - but sadly the box set is OOP and going for over $100 now. (Or maybe it was over $100 to begin with? It is a Pioneer release...) At any rate, it seems right up my alley but I've never gotten the chance to watch it. Hrm.

Really? I bought it during one of RightStuf's 25 Geneon DVDs for $100 sale back when they were doing those, so I got it for $16. I can't really remember much sticking out about it, to be honest. Wasn't bad, but really didn't hook me much. Certainly was no Haibane Renmei.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I think for me the best I can say about Broken Blade was that I found it to be entertaining. Not great and it wouldn't win any awards from me. I found the beginning of the first movie in Broken Blade to be disjointed and clunky. Its kinda of a bad start imho. It might have been about the 3rd movie that I actually started to get interested. Usual tropes and stock characters abound: the dude who finds his special power (pilot a machine no one else can), the hot scientist chick, the Ace (pilot), etc. I found some more acceptable than others. Personally didn't care for the ruthless military commander as I found him boring and predictable. Oh, he's bored because no one gives him a challenge. I'm bored because, I've seen his type often.

Story wise its ok-ish. I think the tension between former friends who find themselves on opposite sides of a war (has been done before) is interesting because there are many ways that can go. I also think that Rygart the main lead was having difficulty hanging onto his beliefs in a war and all he could fall back on was to protect those who were closest to him. I did like the action and some of the details in the action were really cool. For example, the mechs/golems took actual noticeable damage. I liked that the story was told in 50 minute movies as it felt more satisfying. However, nothing is really resolved and the show felt like it was the first arc of a series. As I understand it these movies pretty much caught up to the manga that was on hiatus at the time. So, like I said I found it entertaining but it didn't blow me away. Maybe if they come out with a second series, resolve a few things, pull out a few surprises then I might feel more satisfied.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

The (used) singles can be had for next to nothing at Second Spin and Amazon Marketplace. Niea_7 is a great show.

Regarding Broken Blade, I agree with everything Erin said, though I'd extend my indifference to most of the cast and not just Rygart. They're a fairly boring bunch, all told, and that made it impossible for me to care about anything that was happening, either to the characters themselves or the war.

Visually it's a mixed bag. The mecha are detailed and well animated, but character movement is stiff and the designs are nothing special. And while those mountains are beautifully drawn, they're still just mountains, and mountains seem to constitute the majority of the show's backdrops (the rest being characterless towns and plain building interiors). I never really felt a sense of place in Broken Blade because everything looks pretty much the same.

Watching 08th MS Team last year didn't help either. That's what I want from my real robot war stories.

If there's one outstanding aspect about the show, it's the opening theme. It is gorgeous. I just wish the show itself was half as grand.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see that Niea_7 isn't entirely forgotten!
RoverTX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
In Broken Blade the 12 year old girls best friend who dies early on in the series is said to have been in the same grades with her growing up, if I remember correctly. The friend also looked far to old to be 12 or even 14 or 15.

I thought that was a hint that growth hormons and other experiments where being used in the country to the west on lower class children to make them grow up faster, so that they could have more able body soldiers.

I haven't read the books though so maybe I just misunderstood or missed a piece of dialogue.

PS: Thats not to say that they didn't use it as a creepy gag that took away from the general story.....

Last edited by RoverTX on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to be THAT PERSON, but I want to point out that it's noitaminA and not noitamA.

Gotta pick up tsuritama at some point still.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For example, Yuki's mother checking into the hospital

That's his grandmother. Yuki doesn't have parents.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I was really surprised to see you compare tsuritama to Neia_7. They both start out as slice-of-life shows, but tsuritama's last few episodes are more or less sci-fi shonen action. Also, as far as the aliens are concerned, the show explains it all. There's no mystery. We know who the aliens are, why they have come, and, although it's not 100% finished, I would bet money that we will get a solid resolution as to where they're going. I've enjoyed watching tsuritama, but it definitely doesn't have the dark undertones and social analysis that Neia_7 does.

Maybe it's because you never finished Neia_7 but the show, much like Haibane Renmai spoiler[leaves a lot of questions unanswered. You never find out what's beyond the wall or what happens to the mother ship or why the alines were there to begin with.] But then again, that's not the "point" of either series. Neia_7 offers some serious commentary about class, social hierarchy (especially with regard to immigrants), and people who are struggling to simply survive and make their humble dreams come true. Tsuritama has some sweet moments about people learning to have faith and be friends, but it never ventures into the tough, uncomfortable world of poverty and discrimination that Neia_7 does.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This week's shelves are from Lorenzo, who says, "looks small like this, I'm depressed now Sad"

Lorenzo, your collection looks fine. It might not be as big as others, but I think it looks fine. As long as it's filled with anime you like, it's a good collection. I've always preferred quality over quantity.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'm adding Broken Blade to my Right Stuf wish list. Interesting story, great music, and The Brothers Ayres are in the English version? Definite buy for me.

Quote:
I had a hard time getting into the characters. Certainly Greg Ayres makes for a memorable Rygart in the dub (Ayres sounds like such a nice guy!), but something about Rygart as a character is “blah” to me.

Sometimes a character is hard to get attached to, and can be bland in any language.

re: Greg: Greg Ayres is a fixture at my local con, OMGcon in Paducah, KY, and he is really great. We hear he has the most fun at our itty-bitty con Wink
I've had 4 series he's worked on signed - going for at least 1 per OMGcon, and it looks like Broken Blade is my 2013 pick.
The shows where Greg and Chris get to work together in some capacity (usually actor and director) are where they really shine - see Night Raid 1931 and Nerima Daikon Brothers (LMBO at NDB over the weekend).
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Broken Blade for me ultimately is a nice series that suffers from that old anime flaw of not being finished properly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3