• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Salmon Fishing in the Milky Way

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
...The opening paragraph tradition dates back to 2002.

Dude- are you going to do something special for the 10th anniversary of the column in December? Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I've been meaning to say that I was pleasantly surprised to read a Madoka Magica review that didn't spoil anything-especially a review of volume 3. The rumination on evacuation scenes in anime wasn't a complete fit, but it had me wondering about a topic I've never thought about before. What types of disaster preparedness exercises are practiced in different places? During the Cold War, American children were taught to duck under their desks in case of nuclear war (wouldn't help much, but I guess they figured that it was the thought that counts). Growing up in New York, all I can remember were fire drills (which could be a lot of fun-especially if you were in the middle of a test!) I know that after Columbine, some schools incorporated a type of school shooting drills, and I think I heard of at least one case of a school doing a terrorist drill after 9/11.

I recently listened to an interview with an author of an apoplectic novel describing how her school in California would encourage earthquake readiness, which involved bringing three days worth of non perishable foods to school, just in case!

So, yeah, it's a fascinating topic, and now I'm all curious if Californian kids still have to pack an extra day or two's worth of lunch to school.

I like tsuritama more than you did, I guess. Personally, I thought it had too much fishing. But the show had me so invested in the boys and their (platonic!) friendship that I didn't care. Plus, it lead to an epic fishing trip to save the world! I can get behind that!
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Growing up in New York, all I can remember were fire drills (which could be a lot of fun-especially if you were in the middle of a test!)

In Michigan, we did tornado drills when I was very young, but then the school policy changed. Sometimes we were sent home if there was a tornado watch, but if it was a warning we had to stay at school (and move away from windows or to a windowless room or the hallway, as I recall).

An episode of a Japanese learning podcast - maybe JapanesePod101 - had an episode featuring an acronym that Japanese schoolchildren learn for disaster drills. I think it had something to do with staying calm and evacuating in an orderly way, but I could be mis-remembering. Mostly I remember that one of the hosts was embarrassed because the acronym had changed since her school days, making her feel old.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Growing up in New York, all I can remember were fire drills (which could be a lot of fun-especially if you were in the middle of a test!)

In Michigan, we did tornado drills when I was very young...

At first I misread that as tomato drills and wondered if you were required to periodically flee to the nearest stadium and sing "Puberty Love" from memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I recently listened to an interview with an author of an apoplectic novel describing how her school in California would encourage earthquake readiness, which involved bringing three days worth of non perishable foods to school, just in case!

Apologies, but I think you mean "apocalyptic" novel, pertaining to the end of the world, as opposed to an "apoplectic" novel, pertaining to apoplexy. Although I can imagine certain authors writing apoplectic novels.

And, Surrender Artist, was that an Attack of the Killer Tomatoes reference?
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:00 am Reply with quote
It's turning into a NieA_7 thread - yay!

Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I kinda hate shows being compared favorable to Neia_7.
I did not get the show at all. The alien was a totally pain in the ass, FINANCIAL burden on everyone, and should have been kicked to the curb immediately. But she sticks around sucking up resources and causing financial burdens to all with zero regrets while being obnoxious about it.

Something to do with people in poverty sticking together. (Plus NieA does try to make money by collecting scrap, and later by selling her homemade UFO.)

I love the show, but it's not for everyone. Also, I hated the post-credits Indian gags.

EDIT: Holy shit, I just realised that NieA_7 is an anagram of "alien", if you take 7 to be an upsidedown capital L.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3