• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Modern Magic Made Simple Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
Hmm, was thinking about trying out this show as some mindless fluff but now I think I'll find some better mindless fluff to watch instead.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
Rebecca, I like the way you emulate this show in your review by mentioning Soichiro without first explaining who he is. Wink

Yeah, it's a rather forgettable show. It looks like its still on Crunchyroll under its Japanese name Yokuwakaru Gendai Maho. You'd think those involved in the DVD release would try to get CR to take the show down, because its not likely that anyone who watched it there would bother to buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Rebecca, I like the way you emulate this show in your review by mentioning Soichiro without first explaining who he is. Wink

Hey, just doing my part to let you know what you're getting into. Laughing

... he's Misa's younger brother, for the record.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Yeah, it's a rather forgettable show. It looks like its still on Crunchyroll under its Japanese name Yokuwakaru Gendai Maho. You'd think those involved in the DVD release would try to get CR to take the show down, because its not likely that anyone who watched it there would bother to buy it.
I would/will/did, but I doubt I can articulate much of a reason why I liked the show.
notazaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I found the placement of the ova episode at the very beginning to be odd. Most of the time such episodes are placed at the end of the series but looking at the encyclopedia it is dated before episode 1 of the series. However is anything gained by watching the ova first? I completely skipped over it until I was finished with the rest of the show and that seemed to work out fine. I don’t remember anything in the ova that made it necessary to watch prior to the rest of the show. It just seemed like an extra episode. Personally I liked watching it last since its lighter content was a welcome change from the heavier content in the latter half of the series.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In some ways, it would have been a more satisfying use of the fanservice, and possibly the characters, if they had been painted as a potential couple.

Your goggles clearly weren't tuned properly. Yumiko wanted Koyomi baaaad, Koyomi was just way too dense to figure that out.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Quote:
In some ways, it would have been a more satisfying use of the fanservice, and possibly the characters, if they had been painted as a potential couple.

Your goggles clearly weren't tuned properly. Yumiko wanted Koyomi baaaad, Koyomi was just way too dense to figure that out.

no way he could have been more dense than the male lead from kampfer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

no way he could have been more dense than the male lead from kampfer.

Protip: Koyomi's a girl.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
I found the placement of the ova episode at the very beginning to be odd. Most of the time such episodes are placed at the end of the series but looking at the encyclopedia it is dated before episode 1 of the series. However is anything gained by watching the ova first? I completely skipped over it until I was finished with the rest of the show and that seemed to work out fine. I don’t remember anything in the ova that made it necessary to watch prior to the rest of the show. It just seemed like an extra episode. Personally I liked watching it last since its lighter content was a welcome change from the heavier content in the latter half of the series.
I think the point was introducing the characters, which is why it came first. Episode 1 certainly didn't do that. It also was released first.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
This seems like a good anime. A shame is doesn't have a dub. I would have liked that.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Streaming, simulcast, download to own, and home video rights can all be separate. As long as CR has streaming rights, the home video distributor cannot force them to take down the episodes. Not to mention that it was released by Sentai and they seem to have no problem sharing digital/streaming rights with Crunchyroll.
notazaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I think the point was introducing the characters, which is why it came first. Episode 1 certainly didn't do that. It also was released first.

Yeah but that’s just it. It didn’t feel like an introduction to the characters. By that I mean in the ova it seemed liked you were already supposed to know who these people are and what their relationships to each other are. I don’t know maybe I have to rewatch it. I think episodes 2 & 3 were where more formal character introductions were made.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:

Yeah but that’s just it. It didn’t feel like an introduction to the characters. By that I mean in the ova it seemed liked you were already supposed to know who these people are and what their relationships to each other are. I don’t know maybe I have to rewatch it. I think episodes 2 & 3 were where more formal character introductions were made.

I almost mentioned in the review that I wished I had held off the OVA until after I'd seen the TV series. While I agree with Ytterbio that it was meant as an introduction, I felt it just distracted me from the rest of the show.

@Fencedude: I'd better get those goggles checked before the second season of YuruYuri starts, huh? I just really didn't see it...
notazaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I don’t remember why I skipped over the ova but I feel I enjoyed the show somewhat more by saving it for last than if I had watched it first in order of its release. Perhaps if the viewer is already familiar with the source material watching the ova first makes more sense. However I think it might be best to save it for last if you don’t have any prior knowledge. The lack of introductions in the first episode shouldn’t be a problem if you’re watching the DVDs and can watch the first three episodes in one sitting.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Saw this awhile ago on CR. It was ok but nothing too special.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2