Forum - View topic
NEWS: Second Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu TV Anime Green-Lit


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
leoncloud



Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote
Wow, good news after a oh so depressing Haruhi troll.
This is definitely a show to look forward to. For those
who havnt seen the first season, should pick it up.
A real charming love story, nicely drawn and pretty funny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
pparker



Joined: 13 Oct 2007
Posts: 1185
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
It is odd to me how popular it is in Japan. I mean, if you like this genre, it's certainly not a bad show, but I wondered a few times along the way why I kept watching it. It does have a charm. Most likely the lack of a harem and melodrama is what sets it apart from the expected.

The characters are well-written and likeable, no extreme stereotypes, plenty of otaku references (of course), and the art is decent. I'm happy to see a second season, especially in comparison to most shows I've seen lately.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
narutoismybrother



Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Posts: 198

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
More Shana cosplay?!
I hope so!
This show is really good. I can't wait for the second season to come out!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Hed



Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1607
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
Gah! Spice and Wolf II this summer? Oh well, at least I can be confident that it will actually happen. Meanwhile: FMA2 and Valkyria Chronicles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
RauTwilight



Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 42
Location: Oakland, Union City

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
2nd season all I have to say is sweet Cool personally I thought the show ended well off with one season but another is good too. Surprised
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zalis116
Moderator


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 5596
Location: Arcana City

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
It is odd to me how popular it is in Japan. I mean, if you like this genre, it's certainly not a bad show, but I wondered a few times along the way why I kept watching it. It does have a charm. Most likely the lack of a harem and melodrama is what sets it apart from the expected.

The characters are well-written and likeable, no extreme stereotypes, plenty of otaku references (of course), and the art is decent. I'm happy to see a second season, especially in comparison to most shows I've seen lately.
I was surprised to hear news of a second season, but I'm not surprised at its popularity in Japan. Take the two leads, reverse their genders, and you have the ultimate male otaku romantic fantasy. Not only do you have a Konata-Izumi-esque "one of us" female otaku, you also have the fantasy of social and romantic acceptance by the opposite sex. I don't completely understand the psychology of Japanese otaku, but if they do feel this way about the show, I can't blame them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
pparker



Joined: 13 Oct 2007
Posts: 1185
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
pparker wrote:
It is odd to me how popular it is in Japan.
...you have a Konata-Izumi-esque "one of us" female otaku, you also have the fantasy of social and romantic acceptance by the opposite sex. I don't completely understand the psychology of Japanese otaku, but if they do feel this way about the show, I can't blame them.

Ha, yeah, that fantasy aspect. I do recognize the setup, how it's perfect for an otaku. I guess they have to root for whatever they can get Smile I'll definitely watch it, but I guess like you say one would have to understand the psychology better to know why it would be a big hit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 7609

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
The only reason why this is popular is because it empathizes with the otaku, again presenting them with hope that most certainly will never happen in the real world. Haruka is perfect, a sweet moemoe oujo-sama who watched anime, not gonna happen in this lifetime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rekoloki



Joined: 28 Jul 2008
Posts: 14
Location: GA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Ehhh...I didn't feel like it was a bad show, I did enjoy it when I watched it. I just didn't feel like there was much there beyond what had already been done. Legitimately what is left to be said? If it is going to be a repeat of the first season, then it would be like beating dead horse for a cash cow. (Weird how that animal reference played out)

I just feel like adding a second season to this will probably muddle the series down a bit. I guess you could equate it to adding an extra cup of water to your cool-Aid doesn’t make it taste better, just makes more with less flavor. But you never know I have been proven wrong in the past. It is cool they are making a second season because I enjoyed the first. I just can't say that I’m excited to hear it; more indifferent. I'll watch it...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joichiro Nishi



Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 162

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The only reason why this is popular is because it empathizes with the otaku, again presenting them with hope that most certainly will never happen in the real world. Haruka is perfect, a sweet moemoe oujo-sama who watched anime, not gonna happen in this lifetime.


For that reason I hate these kind of shows. This subgenre is so sad and pathetic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2DOtaku



Joined: 24 Sep 2008
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The only reason why this is popular is because it empathizes with the otaku, again presenting them with hope that most certainly will never happen in the real world. Haruka is perfect, a sweet moemoe oujo-sama who watched anime, not gonna happen in this lifetime.

You've obviously not met my fiancee. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 7609

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
2DOtaku wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The only reason why this is popular is because it empathizes with the otaku, again presenting them with hope that most certainly will never happen in the real world. Haruka is perfect, a sweet moemoe oujo-sama who watched anime, not gonna happen in this lifetime.

You've obviously not met my fiancee. Very Happy


You and your fiancee = western nerds/fans. You're not pure blooded Yamato Japanese otaku. Massive difference, incomparable really.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2DOtaku



Joined: 24 Sep 2008
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The only reason why this is popular is because it empathizes with the otaku, again presenting them with hope that most certainly will never happen in the real world. Haruka is perfect, a sweet moemoe oujo-sama who watched anime, not gonna happen in this lifetime.

You've obviously not met my fiancee. Very Happy


You and your fiancee = western nerds/fans. You're not pure blooded Yamato Japanese otaku. Massive difference, incomparable really.

I don't see what difference it makes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 7609

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
2DOtaku wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The only reason why this is popular is because it empathizes with the otaku, again presenting them with hope that most certainly will never happen in the real world. Haruka is perfect, a sweet moemoe oujo-sama who watched anime, not gonna happen in this lifetime.

You've obviously not met my fiancee. Very Happy


You and your fiancee = western nerds/fans. You're not pure blooded Yamato Japanese otaku. Massive difference, incomparable really.

I don't see what difference it makes.


Really? You don't see the difference? "We are not interested in 3d women, we want to marry 2d girls" means nothing? Otaku are not the same as western fans in the slightest. It's not cool or groovy to be an otaku, the term, even if it is lessening now, is still an insult in Japan. The Japanese are ashamed of these people because they don't fit in, they're looked down upon as a scourge on society, especially now that they don't contribute in the form of making babies. I don't believe the west has the same connotation going on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2DOtaku



Joined: 24 Sep 2008
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The only reason why this is popular is because it empathizes with the otaku, again presenting them with hope that most certainly will never happen in the real world. Haruka is perfect, a sweet moemoe oujo-sama who watched anime, not gonna happen in this lifetime.

You've obviously not met my fiancee. Very Happy


You and your fiancee = western nerds/fans. You're not pure blooded Yamato Japanese otaku. Massive difference, incomparable really.

I don't see what difference it makes.


Really? You don't see the difference? "We are not interested in 3d women, we want to marry 2d girls" means nothing? Otaku are not the same as western fans in the slightest. It's not cool or groovy to be an otaku, the term, even if it is lessening now, is still an insult in Japan. The Japanese are ashamed of these people because they don't fit in, they're looked down upon as a scourge on society, especially now that they don't contribute in the form of making babies. I don't believe the west has the same connotation going on.

Yeah, cos western fans are revered as gods. That said, I guess I must've misinterpreted your original post. I assumed you were saying that anime like this was aimed at males who live in the false hope that there are such things as beautiful, intelligent, talented female anime fans out there, and as it just so happens, I've found one, ergo hope is not lost. Anime smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group