• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Arrested for Selling Pirated One Piece Figures of Nami

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Two questions -

1) Why is One Piece the only property where someone gets arrested for making a 'custom' figure (albeit from bootlegged Chinese parts)? Does no one else in Japan make bootlegged characters from other series? Can't imagine that there haven't been any requests for 'fan made' Mami statues yet...

2) I don't understand what the crime here is. Yes, they use bootlegged parts. I got that and that shouldn't be allowed. But despite how racy some of these statues might be, I can't see how this is a bad thing when there's a plethora of OP doujinshi around. Fans want their favorite characters in naughty positions. If Toei feels so threatened by it, why not farm their characters out to a company that will make 'officially sanctioned' smut and share in the profits? I can't imagine that the creator or the studio doesn't want fans to think of the characters in such a fashion considering all the official Nami art I've seen of her in compromised poses.

Either way...bootlegged models seems to be the least of Japan's problems right now. At least those aren't actually hurting any real people. Now, groppers on the Tokyo subway....
burnpsy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
The doujinshi market is left alone by the wishes of the authors. It is not technically legal, they just don't want to do anything.

But these figures aren't treated with that respect. Because some mangaka actually got their start in the doujin market, they have a soft spot for them. Meanwhile this is just plain unsanctioned merchandise, which is illegal in quite a few countries.

So the question really isn't what's illegal about this. It's why isn't the doujin market being sanctioned.

Also, One Piece as a whole outperforms all other series by quite a bit. Madoka isn't even the top selling anime out there. (Bakemonogatari holds this honor for 2000 and later)

It's not surprising that One Piece gets all the attention.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
1) Why is One Piece the only property where someone gets arrested for making a 'custom' figure (albeit from bootlegged Chinese parts)? Does no one else in Japan make bootlegged characters from other series? Can't imagine that there haven't been any requests for 'fan made' Mami statues yet...

There's tons of bootlegs of various series.

Toei's probably the only one who cares this much, though
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who finds it absolutely hilarious whenever I seethe words "pirated" and "One Piece" in the same sentence. xD
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Two questions -

2) I don't understand what the crime here is. Yes, they use bootlegged parts. I got that and that shouldn't be allowed. But despite how racy some of these statues might be, I can't see how this is a bad thing when there's a plethora of OP doujinshi around. Fans want their favorite characters in naughty positions. If Toei feels so threatened by it, why not farm their characters out to a company that will make 'officially sanctioned' smut and share in the profits? I can't imagine that the creator or the studio doesn't want fans to think of the characters in such a fashion considering all the official Nami art I've seen of her in compromised poses.

Either way...bootlegged models seems to be the least of Japan's problems right now. At least those aren't actually hurting any real people. Now, groppers on the Tokyo subway....

Because mami has some adult figures out there that are legit nami from one piece does not. It's all just simple supply/demand but what can ya do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Either way...bootlegged models seems to be the least of Japan's problems right now. At least those aren't actually hurting any real people.

Bootlegging doesn't hurt companies, its the companies that are hurting themselves.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Wait, wasn't there an article just like this not to long ago?

Also wow... guess Nami really is the modern Fujiko, people just can't get enough of her. Laughing

Of course if Oda had never pointlessly increased her bust size this wouldn't have happened in the first place *shot repeatedly by rabid Nami fanboys*

But yeah, I do find it funny that people seem to get arrested more often for Bootleg OP merch over other series, makes sense, as its such a phenomenon in Japan, Shueisha and Toei obviously don't want anyone else butting in on their cash cow.

Frankly I still find it sad stuff like this is made at all. Guess the otaku don't get enough with Doujinshi, body pillows & boob mouse pads. Laughing

But I digress.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Two questions -

I think the issue is mostly about revenue.

A popular series like One Piece being bootlegged can bring in a lot of revenue. When someone is profiting off of an intellectual property companies are more likely to go after them. Considering the vast amount of money Toei animation and other One Piece rights holders have, I would guess they have a legal department dedicated to search and destroy of people who profit off of their franchise.

It's different when fans do something just for fun (except piracy). Getting money involved is a different story.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
It has absolutely nothing to do with revenue

it is the same reason nintendo sues children over pokemon and disney files lawsuits against grandmothers
it is all about protecting their property rights
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Pirate arrested for pirating pirated pirate figures. Laughing Cool
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
This is just sad........ really sad Neutral
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if him being Chinese played a part in it. I'm serious, by the way, Japanese racism exists.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wonder if him being Chinese played a part in it. I'm serious, by the way, Japanese racism exists.

Since the three prior arrests in the article were all Japanese citizens I'm going to have to say that's quite unlikely.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
It has absolutely nothing to do with revenue

it is the same reason nintendo sues children over pokemon and disney files lawsuits against grandmothers
it is all about protecting their property rights
What. Of course it's about revenue! He was competing with the official merch, so they had him busted(it's not like they'd have to pay for it); if things really worked the way you think they do, the doujin market wouldn't be tolerated like it is. And "intellectual property" refers to three different areas of law, none of which have any connection to property law.
Eternal Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Really, mostly it's always the popular series that gets these stuff happen to them. I think it's cause the company choices to do this - while others don't or really doesn't have the time to care.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2