• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ofcom Drafts U.K. Rules Against Net Piracy for 2014

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zopyros

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
I like this. As much as a lot of people will be annoyed with this, it's a good way for companies to get what they actually deserve from the consumers for the work they do.

Everyone has pirated at one point, but since this is coming into action, hopefully it'll decrease it. But again, there's always a way around these things.
Takuku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:03 am Reply with quote
Zopyros wrote:
It's a good way for companies to get what they actually deserve from the consumers for the work they do.

I doubt it. I'm going to just go under the belief that the only people as such who will benefit from this - will be those who don't even do much. If they want to cut it down, they need to address the issue of providing content for those who currently download but would be willing to go down the legal route.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah I've just noticed that i haven't downloaded a single film since getting netflix cause that service is much better than what say tpb could give.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
Netflix, Crunchyroll et all have done a lot of good in elevating the need to download anime but, well, someone may want to know what happens next in Inazuma Eleven and Disney XD sure as hell isn't going to tell them.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Netflix, Crunchyroll et all have done a lot of good in elevating the need to download anime but, well, someone may want to know what happens next in Inazuma Eleven and Disney Anime hyper sure as hell isn't going to tell them.

I wouldn't put Crunchycrap on that list due to their region blocking.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Er what? That's hardly Crunchyroll's fault, it's down to the terms of their licences and Crunchyroll really to endeavour to license as widely as the can when they can yes it's frustrating when they have a show I want to watch that isn't viewable over here but I don't go calling them names. Also I find it ironic that you are lauding Netflix over this when Netflix US does exactly the same.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
but Netflix didn't start out by using fansubs without permission also it's £2 cheaper and the UK's choice is pretty much what i want to watch.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll started blocking the UK more often after Anime on Demand appeared. I still don't know if that ever had a positive effect on the UK anime industry.

It's hard to blame Crunchyroll for starting the way they did. Anime isn't something to attract investors overseas unless there's already something sort of established.

Zopyros wrote:
I like this. As much as a lot of people will be annoyed with this, it's a good way for companies to get what they actually deserve from the consumers for the work they do.

Sounds like wishful thinking. Sales won't increase much, and the effects on profits in the long run is unknown. At least I believe that it's a 50/50 profit/loss. It could drive people away from the medium, or increase legal availability for free.

Either way, there's hardly any solid proof to say that the industry will benefit, and make more than what was spent on the lock down.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
AOD has been a massive waste of time for all concerned. The well basically dried up after P4.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quote
Legaly I don't see what the fuss is, they're just cracking down on illegal activity cause... its the law.

But personally its obvious legal, pad for download-only content is a rip off. Look at games services like Steam. If everything goes download only in the hands of creeps like that, then nothing's illegal if you don't get caught...

As for anime... well everything used to be fansub? The core of income for the anime industry is from Japan and I'm actually concerned that attempting to extend the appeal of anime abroad will mean em selling out by de-Japanisation for western audiences. Was it in Japanamerica by Roland Kelts, there were horror stories about Americans approaching the anime industry to dumb it down? "What did Jonathan Clements say in Newtype? "If I wanted Caucasian I could get that at home?"

My point is, the official Western anime industry gets its income from dubbed anime sold on DVD? And pay-to-stream shit is an attempt to take over a Western fandom that existed for decades now with no one caring till now.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:56 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
AOD has been a massive waste of time for all concerned. The well basically dried up after P4.

Totally agree. I'm not going to pay for a service when I have no idea what I'll get for my money. Half the shows they have on there are on CR anyway.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
The fact that they're fighting "Free but week delay + Adverts" with "Pay up or get nothing" is what killed it.
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Legaly I don't see what the fuss is, they're just cracking down on illegal activity cause... its the law.

But personally its obvious legal, pad for download-only content is a rip off. Look at games services like Steam. If everything goes download only in the hands of creeps like that, then nothing's illegal if you don't get caught...

As for anime... well everything used to be fansub? The core of income for the anime industry is from Japan and I'm actually concerned that attempting to extend the appeal of anime abroad will mean em selling out by de-Japanisation for western audiences. Was it in Japanamerica by Roland Kelts, there were horror stories about Americans approaching the anime industry to dumb it down? "What did Jonathan Clements say in Newtype? "If I wanted Caucasian I could get that at home?"

My point is, the official Western anime industry gets its income from dubbed anime sold on DVD? And pay-to-stream shit is an attempt to take over a Western fandom that existed for decades now with no one caring till now.

...wut?
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
The fact that they're fighting "Free but week delay + Adverts" with "Pay up or get nothing" is what killed it.
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Legally I don't see what the fuss is, they're just cracking down on illegal activity cause... its the law.

...wut?
What exactly makes you go 'wut', Conan? If you read what I said correctly, there's no contradiction in what I wrote. What's good for the industry, and what is the law doing their job, are a different thing to what's good for me if certain trends carry on.

The last two paragraphs are an observation on the idea that people torrenting fansubs are now 'stealing', when no one used to care they were there.

Well they have to cost some sales, no one can deny that. But how many? Most sales here in the UK are of dubbed anime, like they've always been. The most logical inference from this, IMO, is that fandubs and the people watching 'em are less relevant to sales than people think.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:06 am Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Legally I don't see what the fuss is, they're just cracking down on illegal activity cause... its the law.

...wut?
What exactly makes you go 'wut', Conan? If you read what I said correctly, there's no contradiction in what I wrote. What's good for the industry, and what is the law doing their job, are a different thing to what's good for me if certain trends carry on.

The last two paragraphs are an observation on the idea that people torrenting fansubs are now 'stealing', when no one used to care they were there.

Well they have to cost some sales, no one can deny that. But how many? Most sales here in the UK are of dubbed anime, like they've always been. The most logical inference from this, IMO, is that fandubs and the people watching 'em are less relevant to sales than people think.
You lost me at referring Steam as "Those creeps"
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:

...wut?

You lost me at referring Steam as "Those creeps"
Well there's enough on the internet about Steam acting like dicks. And if the download distribution of games through people like Steam is anything to go by, I'm not in favour of supporting legal downloads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2