• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hardcore anime fans

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptor-ani

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
I'm curious about how many people here are really hard core anime fans,
E.g. people that import raw anime and manga from Japan, study Japanese for the sole purpose of anime, collect figures, build model kits, resin kits, cosplay, collect hug pillows, have huge manga collections and so on.

I'm from Perth, and would like to make some friends with other hardcore anime fans. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
madmangohan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
...that's a little too hardcore for my liking 0.o
raptor-ani

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
Haha!
Well I'm interested in making friends with anyone if they have even a slight interest in one of the above. Razz

I don't know many Japanese speaking anime fans or fellow figure collectors locally in Perth or even Australia. I'm guessing this forum would be my best bet for finding them though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
madmangohan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
I know there's a few model/figurine collectors on Madman's madboards, so if you're not a member there, it certainly wouldn't do harm in signing up there also.

I personally don't actively collect many models/figurines though, nor do I do most of the stuff on your list in large quantities >_>
But that's likely why I don't consider myself anywhere near 'hardcore'. Above 'casual' certainly (I lost my dvd count at 500), but I don't think I could ever live with myself if I actually used my anime pillows or put my money constantly to figurines Razz
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
Hrm, there are a few "hardcore" fans around, but they tend to hide themselves away and are hard to find. The majority of people are balanced, especially in Perth...

JAFWA may be a place to start?
tronsistor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
That is a little hardcore but I do have a couple Gundumwing models, own quite a bit of anime, have watched much more. I also have seen quite a few of the older japanese films made by TOHO, and distributed on DVD by AnimEigo. I mostly watch my anime in japanese, so I have picked up some of the language from that.
ayyu

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
Back before fansubs were widely available, I rented Escaflowne from a video shop during a trip to Japan, dubbed the tapes on my aunt's VCRs, printed out the subtitle scripts off a fansite and watched them while simultaneously reading the scripts. I also learned Japanese from manga and anime. I'm not quite at the level of making my own figures, though. I'd be more hardcore if I had the time for it. Anime cry
aurickandrien

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
If you can speak Japanese then you'd be a fool to buy manga locally seeing as you can import the raw stuff for about two thirds the price.

Not really sure why you would go out of your way to import raw DVDs though seeing as buying those locally is usually cheaper, and I'm pretty sure that they all come with a Japanese language track.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Everyone has his own definition of "being hardcore". Sometimes it's positive- IMHO it's not good to be the one. For me the difference that makes someone "hardcore" aren't activities, but the way we threat them.
Activities mentioned in first post are characteristic for older, mature fans, who "just" want to develop their hobby as much as possible. They are completely normal as long as they threat it with a calm manner.
The hardcores that I've met really don't have to be like that- and believe, you wouldn't want to meet them. They don't have to develop their hobby in any way- and they usually don't. Hardcores are those who tear their robes when somebody call anime "carton" and categorize "Dragon Ball" as a parody, or tell that he is not impressed by "symbolism' of Eva. There we have yaoi fangirls, "Miakas from Fushigi Yuugi" etc.- all those who make me feel ashamed to be a fan.

Ps.
Do you have Vegeta's hug pillow?
aurickandrien

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
There's an experience that I think kind of relates to hardcore - I remember that when I was playing Magic:TG back in university about half of the people there were semi-professionals who played with the latest tournament decks, and the other half were casual players who didn't really know how to make a good deck beyond chucking some cool cards together... To my mind there were only about three people there who just played a decent game.

But really the defining moment for me was when I asked a friend how long they'd be a fan of this show that we both like and they basically said: "Oh, I'm not a fan. Just love the show."

Before that I hadn't really thought that you could love a show and not be a fan of it, but the more I think about it the more I think that being a fan of something is more than just loving it... and when it comes down to it I don't really think I'm a fan of much, and especially not anime.

I don't really know that I want to be a fan. For one thing there may be a few animes out there that I kind of love, but then it's like in Japan - you don't have to be an otaku to like Ghibli... and also I think that around 90% of anime is crud anyway (about 90% of anything is). And then there's the fact that when you start labelling yourself then you get associated with a certain stereotype, and there are plenty enough people out there to label you anyway.

When it comes to any sort of fandom I think that there are two types of people who I don't really like: those who obsess over it rather than love it and those who dismiss those who have anything whatsoever to do with it (which probably isn't helped by the obsessives).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
aurickandrien wrote:
Before that I hadn't really thought that you could love a show and not be a fan of it, but the more I think about it the more I think that being a fan of something is more than just loving it... and when it comes down to it I don't really think I'm a fan of much, and especially not anime.

The definition of "fan" you adhere to is rather strong, but nonetheless quite apt. Perhaps there exist more fitting terms to denote the degree to which you favour anime. "Appreciator" might be one of these, for want of a more elaborate word.

(Analogously, I myself may feel somewhat gratified after spotting a puffin on a coastal cliff, though to call myself an enthusiast of ornithological matters would be an exaggeration.)

Issues of stereotype cause me little concern. Most folk who are quick to apply their preconceptions upon me seem to lack the insight sufficient for any sort of relevant dialogue to ensue. It is the people who are personally aware of anime fandom, and the tendencies its adherents exhibit, of whom one must be wary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
takimaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
I've been watching anime for years and years..

mind you i don't got to the extremes some people do, such as cosplay..

yes i would have to say i'm an anime fan though i'm quite shy about it in public..
Lemonflavourtofu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
umm...

I've cosplayed,i go to cons, i buy manga,posters,figurines, plushies. My manga collection isnt that big, only 30.) i buy anime, i can be interested in a variety types of manga (e.g naruto to deathnote, to mermaid melody to school rumble, K-on! to hell girl.)I buy anime magazines. umm...i started watching anime when i was 3-5 ish? I've started reading manga when i was 8/9ish.

Btw, sadly, i dont buy hugging pillows, i'm a girl....
tapests

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I qualify as a hardcore anime fan, but I'm definitely a "resident anime historian", and an "anime critic". I do quite a lot of research on production and legacy histories of many anime series and movies. I also watch them and write non-biased reviews on them for my college newspaper. Two of my well known papers are my reviews on "Ghost in the Shell" film, and my review on "Bible Black". I also write "Today in anime history" articles for it, which included a detailed report on the "Electric Soldier Porygon" episode from Pokemon. I also participate in the fan discussions for quite a few shows (And yes, this does include Eva). I don't however go to anime conventions and I don't cosplay. I just know a lot of information on anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1