• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Launch 24-Hour Anime Service on Major Game Console

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
And people wonder why Funimation's turning into a monopoly... because their opponents are so effective at killing themselves.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
11G4GUNOT wrote:
@Viz Media
launch Viz Anime On Demand on every digital cable provider as well

It probably wouldn't succeed. Funimation has been pushing their On Demand service for a while with very limited success. I doubt Viz would fare much better. Not to mention most cable and satellite operators either offer Anime Network, Funi's Channel, or both. I doubt many would be keen on a second or third anime service.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Can the Wii stream HD content?

It doesn't stream videos in HD on Netflix, so it's doubtful they'd put it on the Wii.

And chances are that if this goes on the 360, it'll be hampered even more by the fact that you need Xbox Live to access it, since MS refuses to let anyone use any video services unless they have a Gold account.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
This is...interesting. The actual service aside this at least means Lagrange and Zetman will get actual releases most likely. No way would they be able to recooperate dubbing costs on a limited streaming service.
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Can the Wii stream HD content?

The Wii doesn't have any HD capabilities at all, so no.

The fact that this is a subscription service, but not on demand, has killed any interest for me.
xScar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
This is...interesting. The actual service aside this at least means Lagrange and Zetman will get actual releases most likely. No way would they be able to recooperate dubbing costs on a limited streaming service.

Doesn't mean it in any way.
They dubbed all of Hikaru no Go, all of Monster, probably more of Prince of Tennis than they put out too, but none ever got a full DVD release.
So now we just get them on every online platform -- Netflix, Hulu, iTunes.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm not enthused about further expansion of the Hulu Plus "subscription + ads" model, especially given the greater number of dubs available at Funimation for 96 cents more per month with no ads.

Given that I have neither a PS3 or XBOX 360, however, I really don't have to spend any time considering it.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Divineking wrote:

Doesn't mean it in any way.
They dubbed all of Hikaru no Go, all of Monster, probably more of Prince of Tennis than they put out too, but none ever got a full DVD release.
So now we just get them on every online platform -- Netflix, Hulu, iTunes.

They did at least attempt releases for those though. Just saying there will most likely be at least an attempt for a physical release, though since neither Lagrange or Zetman are long shows they'd probably be fine.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The fact that this is essentially a linear TV channel isn't what worries me:

Quote:
Neon Alley is a subscription-based service...

Strike one...

Quote:
...it will have "limited commercial advertising."

Strike two...

Quote:
"Neon Alley and VIZ Anime are two separate but complementary ways to watch anime, speaking to different audiences.

(quoted for emphasis)

Strike two and half...

It doesn't mention subtitled anime at all, but if all of the shows featured on here will in fact be dubbed only, then that would be strike three (showing both dubbed and subbed anime is only fair, after all...); I can't really tell at this point. One thing is certain, if this ends up being exclusive to Xbox Live, that would be "strike three" anyway, since as Tsukcnto (sp?) pointed out, it would require an Xbox Live Gold subscription on top of it, and this was such a great idea, too...
partysmores

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
...the heck is this crap?

Does this even count as a channel? It sounds more like "Here's everything you can find or will eventually find on Xbox Marketplace with a fancy name enjoy!"

They should really go after On Demand. Just mentioning Naruto would make any cable provider's eyes light up.

Last edited by partysmores on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
redranger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
So Rinne no lagrange is getting a dub? Yessssssss pleeeeaaasssse.
osakaedo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
StrawHat313 wrote:
Really wished they'd become free channels like Cartoonnetwork or MTV.

Hmm, MTV and Cartoon Network have been paid second-tier channels in both the cities I've lived in.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
osakaedo wrote:
StrawHat313 wrote:
Really wished they'd become free channels like Cartoonnetwork or MTV.

Hmm, MTV and Cartoon Network have been paid second-tier channels in both the cities I've lived in.

But they're usually parts of basic cable packages across the nation. FUNi's channel is probably tier five on U-Verse, and having U-Verse at all is a the tier up from basic cable. I get a ton of channels, but FUNi is still the next one up, and it's not worth it.
opn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
And this is why i love faith in viz media with every announcment they have. Call me when they actually add something good in that lineup (besides berserk).
FigNewton

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
In 2012 I just don't have any interest in a subscription TV service that I can't DVR for time shifted viewing. $7/mo feels a little stiff for what you get. Sorry Viz, much like the Nexus Q, I don't get it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6