• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Launch 24-Hour Anime Service on Major Game Console

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
...the heck is this crap?

Does this even count as a channel? It sounds more like "Here's everything you can find or will eventually find on Xbox Marketplace with a fancy name enjoy!"

They should really go after On Demand. Just mentioning Naruto would make any cable provider's eyes light up.

I'm willing to be most of the cable operators would hear "Naruto" and say "Huh?"
jlaking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
StrawHat313 wrote:
Really wished they'd become free channels like Cartoonnetwork or MTV.

You have to paid for Cartoon Network and MTV since they are cable channel and are not over-the-air channels like NBC and FOX.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I do not see why every one is so upset that you need to have a subscription to watch it the stuff. It's not that big of a deal, neither is having ads. Just get away from the TV when the ads are on. How hard is that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xScar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I do not see why every one is so upset that you need to have a subscription to watch it the stuff. It's not that big of a deal, neither is having ads. Just get away from the TV when the ads are on. How hard is that?

Because having a Hulu Plus, Netflix, Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Xbox Live, et. al subscriptions really add up, and with such little content that Viz has, no one wants to pay for another one. Even TAN has more stuff.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Would possibly be interested if the major game console in question is the PS3 - on the other hand, the only things I'm really interested in are InuYasha and Berserk, and frankly I'm more interested in the subtitled versions of both. I'll be looking more forward to DVD releases (and streaming InuYasha: TFA if I actually have the time to do so. Given how long that's been available, time is clearly an iffy issue for me).
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
OK, VIZ just won some major brony points in my book a 24 hour dubbed anime streaming service for Game Consoles for only $6.99 a month. Yeah thats, that prettiy dang nice imo. I'll defiantly sign-up for it when I have the chance.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Because having a Hulu Plus, Netflix, Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Xbox Live, et. al subscriptions really add up, and with such little content that Viz has, no one wants to pay for another one. Even TAN has more stuff.

That does eat up money I know that I have a several subscriptions myself on several different ares, but either you will figure out a way to have it or just not use it. I will probably get it in the future, but I'm on the fence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
Personally for me I don't see it being worth it. I mean you are paying almost as much a month as one would for something like say Crunchyroll but you are getting WAY less content and it's still gonna have ads. It's cool that they are gonna premier Tiger and Bunny dubbed there but being that is the only thing I care about I will wait for the DVDs.

Exactly, Crunchyroll gives you WAY more value for your money.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Divineking wrote:
This is...interesting. The actual service aside this at least means Lagrange and Zetman will get actual releases most likely. No way would they be able to recooperate dubbing costs on a limited streaming service.

Doesn't mean it in any way.
They dubbed all of Hikaru no Go, all of Monster, probably more of Prince of Tennis than they put out too, but none ever got a full DVD release.
So now we just get them on every online platform -- Netflix, Hulu, iTunes.

Speaking of Monster, damn you Viz for not releasing ALL OF IT in DVD.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd be interested to see VIZ dig into their backlog a bit. Sure, they can show their new titles like T&B and Berserk, as well as their hits like Death Note and Naruto, but what I'd really like is for them to stream some of their older and/or more obscure stuff.

I for one would LOVE to tune in to watch some classic episodes of Ranma 1/2 or Maison Ikkoku. And this also seems like a perfect opportunity to expose new audiences to some of their less popular titles like Buso Renkin, NANA, and Honey & Clover. Plus they could even show the episodes of Hikaru no Go and Prince of Tennis that no one originally got to see.

THAT right there would determine how much I'd look forward to this service.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
OK, VIZ just won some major brony points in my book a 24 hour dubbed anime streaming service for Game Consoles for only $6.99 a month. Yeah thats, that prettiy dang nice imo. I'll defiantly sign-up for it when I have the chance.

1) They've only stated it'd be on a game console. Not plural.

2) Being a 24-hour channel means they're going to have to supply a LOT of different shows. This also means that people are going to need to be informed on what airs at what time. This can potentially hurt them big time as people will determine if they want to be around at a specific time to watch something. Not to mention, they need a lot of content to supply or else people will tire of just a limited amount of shows and feel their $7 is better spent elsewhere (like Crunchyroll or even Hulu).

3) As I mentioned before, if this goes on the 360, there's no doubt MS will enforce its usual "You need Xbox Live Gold to access this" policy. Yes, the 360 is one of the most purchased consoles in the west right now, but there's still a large group of 360 owners that don't have a Gold account. Forcing a subscription service in order to access another is terrible.

4) Placing premiere dubs on a subscription service on a game console automatically ruins whatever potential chances of success that anime had. Tiger & Bunny and even Zetman had better chances of being successful on Toonami.

5) This service could also be used as a means of avoiding any home releases. VIZ could very easily say "You want to watch these? Well, you have to sign up for our service." Not only would it benefit themselves, but it'd also cut the costs on manufacturing discs and in turn hurt the customers more than anything else.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
xScar wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

That does eat up money I know that I have a several subscriptions myself on several different ares, but either you will figure out a way to have it or just not use it. I will probably get it in the future, but I'm on the fence.

I only subscribe to Crunchyroll and Netflix. I am content with that, but if I am going to subscribe to another anime streaming service, I want one with lots of content (like Crunchyroll), the ability to watch WHENEVER I want, and no adds.

Neon Alley does not seem like the service I want, and the asking price is not worth. I rather give Crunchyroll $60 a year ($5 per month).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Manga has an on demand app for free on Xbox. And your Hulu style services give you way more show for the $8. So yeah, the big thing here is "why pay when I have Hulu?"
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
FYI - the actually press release says (I highlighted the part in question)
Quote:
San Francisco, CA, June 27, 2012 – Viz Media, the largest publisher, distributor and licensor of manga, graphic novels and anime in North America, unveiled plans for Neon Alley, a 24-hour anime channel featuring the world's best titles set to debut on game consoles this fall. The service will be available in the United States and Canada.

animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2012-06-27/viz-media-unveils-neon-alley

So I'm not so sure that they are meaning just one game console here. I would hope they'd be trying to get the channel on all the game consoles but I guess we'll just have to see.

Now some of the questions I have are "Why no online or app version of this venture?" Even Funimation is cooking up apps for their site and not having a Internet direct version seems very short sighted (really, not everyone owns gaming consoles!). Also, does this mean everything will be exclusive to Neon Alley or does it mean it'll be exclusive at first and then move to Hulu Plus? (I don't think they'll clarify that one anytime soon). I'd make fun of the name for this venture but it does seem like someone is channeling 1980s programming block names here (it makes me think of Night Flight on USA Network).

Anyway, I won't rule out getting this if it becomes available on something I own (I have a PS3, WII and Nintendo 3DS but I don't own a XBox and can't see myself buying one anytime soon). I find this turn of events just strange. PS3, at least, has Anime for video download to own and rent already (and Viz is on it) and I would have thought that is the same for XBox. So why branch out and do this sort of thing and keep it exclusive to gaming consoles? I'm sure part of it is an attempt to keep more money for themselves and not have to share with Hulu Plus and Netflix but cutting out the tablet market, which I find to be seen as the next big thing in streaming media, is just beyond short sighted IMO! It always seems Viz is years late and living in a alternate dimension to the rest of the Entertainment Media world these days and this is just another example of it.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
It would not surprise me if this service is made available on the Wii U. I mean, why hide what consoles this will be for unless:
1) The console isn't released yet
2) It will be available for multiple platforms, but what consoles it will be for haven't been fully confirmed (for example, they could have signed deals with one company, but still in discussions with another).

I do agree that a Video on Demand would be much better though...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6