• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utena Creator Chiho Saito to Launch Torikae Baya Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
If this gets an English release I'll be first in line to buy it! Very Happy
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
I know I'm nitpicking here, but -

Quote:
Chiho Saito is best known for creating the Revolutionary Girl Utena manga that inspired a popular television anime series and film.

That makes it sound like the anime was an adaptation of her original manga. In fact, the collective Be-Papas (which included Saito) wrote the story while Saito provided the artwork. Be-Papas also served a similar role in the TV series and film.

Anyway, just wanted to make sure the other Utena creators got plenty of love as well.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Oh, wow. Not only did I finish the entire series of Revolutionary Girl Utena just this past Tuesday evening-- so beautiful an anime!-- I was looking up some of What the Internet Says about Utena's ambiguous sexuality just moments ago. And right before clicking on this article, I was reading specifically how in Saito's manga version, Utena is apparently spoiler[unambiguously straight], so seeing news of this manga brought a "whoa, more liberal perspective!" reaction from me. Laughing Can't say I have any particularly vested interest in this new upcoming work of hers, but now I really am more curious about that alternate continuity that is the Utena manga...

BrianRuh wrote:
What he said

Nah, it really isn't nit-picky to point that out..... at least, that's what the currently energetic Utena nut in me says right now. Utena was more or less a mixed media project, or at least a situation where the manga and series tv series were developed concurrently but released on a different schedule. This whole "adaptation" thing probably comes from what the encyclopedia entries say, where the anime is classified as an "adaptation" of the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
[quote="Animerican14"]Oh, wow. Not only did I finish the entire series of Revolutionary Girl Utena just this past Tuesday evening-- so beautiful an anime!-- I was looking up some of What the Internet Says about Utena's ambiguous sexuality just moments ago. And right before clicking on this article, I was reading specifically how in Saito's manga version, Utena is apparently spoiler[unambiguously straight], so seeing news of this manga brought a "whoa, more liberal perspective!" reaction from me.

Yeah another difference is that Jury spoiler[is also straight and competing for Touya's affections] instead of how she's depicted in the anime. Saito says in the series commentary that the change was due to how shojo manga dynamics tend to work and center more around the main character, so Jury becomes spoiler[a rival to Utena for Touya instead of a lesbian in her own right.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
This new series sounds an awful lot like The Changelings. Do you suppose she's just doing a manga version thereof, or is there some twist to it?
lys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
This new series sounds an awful lot like The Changelings. Do you suppose she's just doing a manga version thereof, or is there some twist to it?

I think it must be related to the original work, based on the name and the time period (as depicted in the illustration). But I imagine she'll have her own interpretation of the story and characters—why remake a classic, unless you think you have something to add to it? (to be clear, I'm all for seeing multiple interpretations of classic works like this, just thinking about artist motivation.)
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Saito is still making manga, because her art is always so pretty. Interesting to see that she's going to be dealing with a Japanese setting rather than the European ones she's most well-known for!
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Huh, that sounds kinda interesting, shall have to check out sometime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1