• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Average age of ANN users.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your age?
up to 13
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
14-16
7%
 7%  [ 20 ]
17-19
13%
 13%  [ 37 ]
20-24
33%
 33%  [ 93 ]
25-29
18%
 18%  [ 52 ]
30-34
8%
 8%  [ 25 ]
35-39
6%
 6%  [ 18 ]
40-44
3%
 3%  [ 9 ]
45-49
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
50-59
5%
 5%  [ 14 ]
60-69
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
70+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 279

TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
It's actually really nice to see someone who is younger come around here. While we speak a lot about age and such, it's the younger folks who will carry anime to the next generation so to speak. In every hobby I've ever involved myself in the idea of getting young people interested has always been important. I don't think anime and manga is any different at all.

Don't make yourself sound too old as I am only a few years younger than you... This means if you age yourself up you age me up and I like to think of myself as spring chicken Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Tsuna, I think that you're going to kill me for saying this but before this post and your recent private messages I was actually under the impression that you were considerably older than I am. Gah, now I completely have egg on my face, I'm sorry about that! I always imagined a ton of people here as being older than me.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
Vashna how could you! The offence circulating through my youthful body is immense right now and you have made my child like face cry tears of sorrow! I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY! Razz

I have decided that I should post in the Subscriber Introduction as I need to address the fact that you think I'm old and TT (Teriyaki Terrier) thinks I am a woman.

I have not read your message yet but I will wait with bated breath to see how else you can offend me Wink

Jokes aside reading that on my way into work made me burst out with laughter, thank you for giving me a funny start to the day, also I will point out that I am 21... and have a youthful face Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
I actually haven't seen any post over in the Subscriber Introduction just yet, but I do know that I have another private message to reply to of yours. As for the idea of youth, I honestly thought that you were much older but I guess that I've learned to think that way of pretty much everyone on ANN. I guess when I first started posting here in 2010 I figured that I was somehow younger feeling than I am today.

I know I probably sound completely crazy when I say that, but I guess it goes back to the idea that I wasn't into anime when everyone else was. It sort of influences the way that I view age in relation to the hobby.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately I haven't had chance to post in the Sub intro yet - I'm trying to fit posting in with frantic packing so I'm struggling to get on to the longer and more informative posts - I'll type something up on the plane (as I am off to Bristol today, London tomorrow then I fly) and post when I have wifi. I will get back to your PM ASAP.

But back on topic, I agree that I think I have an idea of someone's age but I turn out to be way off the mark - I guess this is because ANN is the first forum I have joined so I had the stereotypical idea that forums are full of younger kids. I'm glad I was wrong. I'm also surprised that the range of ages is so vast... Thank god for a diverse community Very Happy
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
You have to keep in mind that age is not the same thing as maturity.

Sometimes age brings wisdom,
Sometimes it comes alone.

or alternatively,
Too soon we get old, to late we get smart

We have had thoughtful posters and idiots in all age groups.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
To be totally honest I actually ended up with a very different stereotype of people on message boards, though it's no less ridiculous. I had the idea that most people were angry older curmudgeons who were never happy. I ended up thinking this way because of the endless flame wars that, sadly, consume a good portion of the web forum sites that exist throughout the Internet. Of course, painting anything with a bad brush is really bad. Instead of thinking that way, it's far more productive to get on here and say a few nice things. It saves a lot of negative thinking of course.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
There's plenty to make a young man(or woman) feel old if you look. I remember when it was common to pay after you pumped your gas, back when it was under $2 a gallon(for some reason $1.57 is the figure that comes to mind). Of course, I was just a tyke at the time, but still.

We only pay after here.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm 26 years old if you are curious about me.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
We seem to have a fairly good mix here. I was wondering about something though. How many of us stick around long enough to see a reasonably major shift in age on the forum? I mean, I have been here for three years or so, but some people have been here much longer. I'm sure that some people might end up aging along with Anime News Network.

For that matter, I have a feeling that I will Laughing
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
YOUR BACK! To relate to your comment, I've nearly aged a year with ANN, oh the memories Laughing
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Hey you kids, get off my lawn!

Wink

Since I'm here, here's a stats update:

After 234 responses, the average age is 26.7 years with a median value of 23.4 years.

Past statistics:

After 58 responses: average age = 31, median age = 25
After 88 responses: average age = 29.2, median age = 20.6
After 182 responses: average age = 26.9, median age = 23.4

So with an additional 52 respondents, the average decreased by .2 years with the median roughly unchanged.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Killaclown666

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
i'm 24, i also thought most here were older than me, oh wells.

i've kind of been on here sporadically for years, i keep changing names because i take too long of a break and forget name and/or password, i also read more than post (yes i am watching you muahahaha), i just tend to randomly pop in, but i've never stayed long enough for any of you to remember any of my other accounts.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised like 54% of the members are 13-25.

Younger people in their teens and early twenties are supposedly dropping off forums and have been for years, though IMO this applies only to the English-speaking world. On different forums I post or lurk on there are people in their teens or a bit older but they're using English as a common language to speak with people who are foreigners to them (lots of people round the world learn English in school).

Younger people are supposed to have switched to Tumblr and Reddit, on Tumblr I get to reblog pretty pictures other people have posted otherwise I find very little good about either site.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I should point out that just above in this thread are people who are also not from North America and whose English is every bit as good as mine. We don't mind making allowances for people who are not completely comfortable with English, but you have to say so. We can't guess. I think we have a rule to that effect.

Well, while my post previously was badly written it is not a representative sample of my writing skills: don't worry about it since my written English is officially well above the average of those who take the GRE written exam.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5