• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Unauthorized One Piece Restaurant Opens in Beijing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Okay, despite the unneeded insult there at bottom, I'm finally understanding your position on this.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Fansubs_are_simply_better wrote:
blah blah blah

mdo7 there is a difference between patent violations and copyright violations,

with copyright, here is the truth from one of the big ones...

http://youtu.be/0Qkyt1wXNlI

Yeah except the One Piece Restaurant is unauthorized, and Shueisha didn't give approval to China to make this resturant. Also you didn't see the extent of what China does when it comes to knockoff.

Above: A chinese knockoff of the PS Controller.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
(actually, that's exactly what copyright is - a monopoly on patterns).

Exactly--unique patterns I made before anyone else did.

The fact that you anti-copyright people are so damn ignorant of this fact is just plain comical.
And what part of creating a unique pattern gives you the ethical right to violently stop others from reproducing it with their own hard-earned property? Better yet, if I broke into your house and made a canvas of your wall, would I have the right to stop you from painting over "my" masterpiece? Of course not: a sculptor owns his statue because he owned the rock it used to be, not because he carved it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And what part of creating a unique pattern gives you the ethical right to violently stop others from reproducing it with their own hard-earned property? Better yet, if I broke into your house and made a canvas of your wall, would I have the right to stop you from painting over "my" masterpiece? Of course not: a sculptor owns his statue because he owned the rock it used to be, not because he carved it.

Your statement comes with the implication that you can steal a piece of fiction I wrote and sell it as your own, and I'm just supposed to deal with it instead of rightfully getting pissed that you're making profit off of a work I spent 5 years planning out.

Not to mention that you're constantly going off on these tangents which make no sense to anyone except yourself.
Junker8841

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
SexyLexy wrote:
To those on the board who say well its no big deal or its not my property, its still wrong.

What if someone just came into your house and took everything you had or just came in and said well this property is now mine and took over. Would you think it was a big deal? You'd be screaming hey someone stole all my stuff, that's not fair, that's not right. Then you'd expect someone to do something about it. What if the police said well its not my stuff they stole your out of luck.

To us anime fans its like someone coming and taking away our anime collection. I own hundreds of dvds. I bought and paid for them and its like someone coming in and just taking them away and declaring they aren't mine anymore.

Stealing is still stealing and China is notorious for doing it.

They can take it!

I've finished watching half my collection and it's not likely I'll ever watch it again. If someone else wants to watch my anime, they can have it. I will not deny the rights of the community to enjoy.

And all power to China. The glorious civilisation that keeps getting stronger and stronger.
Junker8841

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Fansubs_are_simply_better wrote:
blah blah blah

mdo7 there is a difference between patent violations and copyright violations,

with copyright, here is the truth from one of the big ones...

http://youtu.be/0Qkyt1wXNlI

Yeah except the One Piece Restaurant is unauthorized, and Shueisha didn't give approval to China to make this resturant. Also you didn't see the extent of what China does when it comes to knockoff.

Above: A chinese knockoff of the PS Controller.

Well at least it's more user-friendly then say the Xbox or Wii controller[/quote]
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Your statement comes with the implication that you can steal a piece of fiction I wrote and sell it as your own, and I'm just supposed to deal with it instead of rightfully getting pissed that you're making profit off of a work I spent 5 years planning out.
You've every right to be pissed. Do you have a right to commit violence against me? No. The purchasers of the tome might have a fraud case, though.
Quote:
Not to mention that you're constantly going off on these tangents which make no sense to anyone except yourself.
You act like being the first to "create" a pattern implies you get to control what other people do with their own property, which implies you think "creation" is an independent source of property rights. I showed the absurdity inherent in that doctrine. I then pointed out you only own the pattern you arrange when you own what you used to arrange it with; if you don't own the materials(like with my wall art), then you don't own the pattern, thus you can only control the instances that are comprised of your property or where the owner's contracted you the control.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Junker8841 wrote:

I've finished watching half my collection and it's not likely I'll ever watch it again. If someone else wants to watch my anime, they can have it. I will not deny the rights of the community to enjoy.

It's not your anime if you didn't create it. You can, however, give away the physical disks that you paid for, if you so wish. But that's an often problem with China - they don't create it; yet they pretend that it's theirs.

Junker8841 wrote:

Well at least it's more user-friendly then say the Xbox or Wii controller

That's debatable, especially given that they're the exact same design. But from years of experience, those knock-offs definitely don't last as long as the real ones, especially given the stresses we put our controllers thru. They're not as well-built. As they say, you get what you pay for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3