• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo 3DS XL to Also Get Circle Pad Pro Add-On

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reibooi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
This just shows that Nintendo has lost it. After the original 3DS got this add-on EVERYONE wanted a redesign of the 3DS that had the second stick built in and then Nintendo gives us one that doesn't have and then gives the same add on making it even bigger and more unwieldly.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Yea, pretty ignorant imo. Idk why they wouldn't just build it in, I mean if it's gonna be bigger then it should definitely fit. So why?

Meh, as much as I hate to say it, I think I've finally grew out of video games. Don't get me wrong, I still love playing them. But, I just don't have the time any more. I'm married with a career now, and I've got a 3DS, GBA, Wii, PS3, PSP, and 360 sitting here collecting dust. Well I do use the PS3, Wii, and 360 for video streaming such as Netflix and Hulu plus, etc. But I haven't played a game in a while, and have multiple pretty new games sitting there collecting dust. Xenoblade, MW3, Tiger 13, DQ monsters 2, etc.

I really do want to play them, but the little free time I have anymore, I would rather spend catching up on TV/anime or reading manga/novels.
I would never have thought it true, but it looks like I'm pretty much done with gaming.

I know I'm way off topic by now, I guess what I'm trying to say is, I won't be trading in my 3DS for an XL...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
Yea, pretty ignorant imo. Idk why they wouldn't just build it in, I mean if it's gonna be bigger then it should definitely fit. So why?

Because people will spend $20 on it.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Yea, the diehards that would buy it regardless. But imo, this will hurt sales. Anyone that was on the fence about it will most likely decide against it, because most people don't like to be blatantly jobbed out of cash...
burnpsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
This just shows that Nintendo has lost it. After the original 3DS got this add-on EVERYONE wanted a redesign of the 3DS that had the second stick built in

Speak for yourself.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
This just shows that Nintendo has lost it. After the original 3DS got this add-on EVERYONE wanted a redesign of the 3DS that had the second stick built in

Speak for yourself.

S/he's not specifically saying they themselves wanted it built in, but merely stating that MANY people have been belly-aching about the whole matter. So you yourself should read more carefully next time.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Careful there. He said "EVERYONE".

Just because you read something more reasonable into his words does not mean that's what he said.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow, didn't realize we were all still in grade 2 and interpreted every line of text literally...

MrHatandClogs wrote:
Anyone that was on the fence about it will most likely decide against it,

One right here. I was going to buy it if the second circle pad was built in, but not now. It's not even the cost of buying the add on that bothers me, it's the cost of buying batteries to use the damned thing that chafes my shorts.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
How many games even use the second stick?
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The second Nintendo left out a 2nd stick on the original design, is the second it was decided that no redesign would have one built in. You'll have to wait till the next 3DS to get that.

This is for the same reasons that Sony never added a second stick. For instance, there's the cost to develop and manufacture new internal components. There's also the fact that most of the current 3DS user base does not have a second stick available and would have to buy an accessory to get one. This means that developers would have to decide if they should add in support for a second stick, have to deal with two different designs (internal and external 2nd stick) and most importantly, potentially lock out a portion of the player base if they decide to restrict a game to two sticks. This is why most add-on accessories never take off, it's too much of a risk for developers.

You would have thought Nintendo would have realized this from the PSP and put in a 2nd stick from the start, but I guess for some development reason or another, they foolishly decided to leave it out.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:

Because people will spend $20 on it.

Like Apple making money hands over fist with all its "add-on" accessories. Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
With dimensions as hefty as those, a comparison with the Game Gear would be of warrant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lostrune

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
This just shows that Nintendo has lost it.

That why it's over 20 million units sold already and already selling faster than the original DS was at this stage in it's life? They lost? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1